RST Fusion Airbag leather jacket

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Skub

Re: RST Fusion Airbag leather jacket

Post by Skub »

Anything safety related has to be a positive thing,but for me there's a cut off point and for now it's just before airbags.

You know those days when you take a notion to go out on the bike,then you remember you need to get out of your clothes,suited and booted and into leathers/textiles? What often happens next is,I can't be fucked with all that,especially for a probable short run and so I don't bother even going out. It's another obstacle in the way of actually riding the bike.

I'm a dinosaur from the time you grabbed your lid,gloves,jacket and buggered off. I still do that quite often on the H1 and while I know it's not in my best interests,it's spontaneous and part of the whole experience.

Skub,who owns far too much bike gear,way more than he uses.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 am
You know those days when you take a notion to go out on the bike,then you remember you need to get out of your clothes,suited and booted and into leathers/textiles? What often happens next is,I can't be fucked with all that,especially for a probable short run and so I don't bother even going out. It's another obstacle in the way of actually riding the bike.
I quite like Freddie Dobbs Youtube channel as he come across as an enthusiastic person with not much of a clue which I find quite endearing. And he goes to some interesting places and isn't afraid to ride to Africa with almost 0 preparation which makes for good content IMO :thumbup:

I note how much stick he gets from the all the gear, all the time crowd. He, like you sees a lot of it as an obstacle to riding the bike. What I find funny about these people who call him 'irresponsible' is that they completely miss the fact that the vast majority of car drivers view them in the same way for riding a bike in the first place. Each to their own in my view, we have enough bloody rules as it is.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

The main reason for buying mine (Helite Turtle 2) was that I have tubed tyres on my V85TT. I didn't fancy the idea of a blowout-induced off, particularly as my sixty-odd year old bones aren't likely to bounce well. The jacket itself was expensive (about £500) but there's no annual fee and the replacement cartridges are about £20, I think. Being a lanyard type of vest, it's possible to forget to 'plug it in', which I have been not unknown to do.

I'm hoping I never find out how necessary it was.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:57 am I do wonder how much in a road context having an airbag jacket it likely to be of massive benefit over a standard one. On track, i can kinda get the race suits having the airbag functionality... but just a jacket... Mmmm not so sure.
In the past I'd have agreed with you. But, it's horses for courses. I am very aware that if I fuck up/bend*/break the metal in my shoulder/arm then I will 90% sure lose the use of my arm/lose my arm. Ok, the percentages might be lower but I've already lowered them from what various medical peeps have told me!!

So for me, if I can find an airbag/vest type thing that concentrates around the shoulder areas (both sides, cos I'd be pretty FUBAR if the left one got mangled too!!) and I could afford it, I'd love to have one. I'm not under any illusions that it would 100% protect me, but It would make me feel better when I'm riding!! :lol:

* - I've already bent a lot of the smaller parts using crutches for 9 weeks, but luckily got away with it. Not sure that would happen again in an accident :(

Skub wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:17 am Anything safety related has to be a positive thing,but for me there's a cut off point and for now it's just before airbags.

I'm a dinosaur from the time you grabbed your lid,gloves,jacket and buggered off. I still do that quite often on the H1 and while I know it's not in my best interests,it's spontaneous and part of the whole experience.

Skub,who owns far too much bike gear,way more than he uses.
I'm not a dinosaur just cos I've only been riding for a little over 20 years, but I do very similar - despite what I've written up there ^^

I still wear jeans as my usual leg 'protection'. And in the very hot summers I tend to wear a kevlar lined hoody - I'm under no illusions about this!! (But telling people it's kevlar lined seems to calm them a bit! :lol:)

Part of the freedom of bikes is being comfortable and being able to go to the garage, chuck on some decent boots, a jacket, lid and gloves and go. I have never been comfy road riding in full leathers - although that does say more about the 'lack' of fit of those leathers!!

But - I'd still buy an airvestbag jacket thing if I could afford it and thought it would protect my shoulder!! Mostly cos I'm right handed and whilst I can relearn to use the left, again, it would suck big time :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: