A cycle mission, but to where????

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
formula400

A cycle mission, but to where????

Post by formula400 »

Right, I have completed a few long-ish trip's by bike and want to plan my next one for next week. So far I've been to Windsor, Box hill and Peaslake, all of them have been between 90-131km, but want to arrive some where interesting or cool to see. at some point ill go to Brighton but at 60 miles don't fancy coming back as well or having to get the train back. was thinking maybe south-end but not sure as ive been there on motorcycle.

so any good suggestion's ????
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Yorick

Re: A cycle mission, but to where????

Post by Yorick »

What happened to lockdown in the UK?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 am What happened to lockdown in the UK?
Exercise is allowed.... I'm a little dubious as to whether 60-100km ones are strictly within the spirit though i agree.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 am What happened to lockdown in the UK?
Down here the fuzz are stopping cyclists to make sure you're remaining "local"! That's fucked up in many, many ways.

Still good to plan rides for when we do come out of it though!

F400 - why do you have something against getting the train back from Brighton? It's ok. The other option - if you're feeling really fit - is to do the mellow off-road route down (it's remarkably flat considering there's both the N and S Downs to get through) and then ride the road back. Whilst it's circa 130 miles it's actually pretty straightfoward. You can be a bit clever about avoiding the N Downs climbs if you're feeling less than fresh.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

lostboy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:42 am
F400 - why do you have something against getting the train back from Brighton? I
I'm making an assumption here, but i 'm guessing he doesn't want to do public transport because of public/CV19 stuff.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:46 am
F400 - why do you have something against getting the train back from Brighton? I
I'm making an assumption here, but i 'm guessing he doesn't want to do public transport because of public/CV19 stuff.
Fair point well made.

Unless it's a VERY sunny day there's generally not that many people on the train coming out of Brighton - you're going against the commute - so the risk is significantly reduced.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:46 am
yeah, the wife says I am pushing it by going out cycling, but put her foot down on getting on a train, to get back from somewhere.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Brighton police have been out and issuing fines to interlopers from "up north" ...
I go out and cycle a sereis of 25 km loops - the furthest I get from home is around 14km, which is within the precedent set by Boris - so if I was stopped i would argue the toss.

100kms is pushing yer luck - and esp if you are going from high infection level to lower , TBH,
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:35 am Brighton police have been out and issuing fines to interlopers from "up north" ...
I go out and cycle a sereis of 25 km loops - the furthest I get from home is around 14km, which is within the precedent set by Boris - so if I was stopped i would argue the toss.

100kms is pushing yer luck - and esp if you are going from high infection level to lower , TBH,
Yeah I do this, loop out and around home or commute to or from work.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:35 am Brighton police have been out and issuing fines to interlopers from "up north" ...

have they actually set a limit ???
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

formula400 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:09 pm

have they actually set a limit ???
No but they are using the term "Stay Local" - and 50kms from home is not local (unless work related). Nominally, it was initially said " 1 hrs exercise"and that changed . But I am guess you can google government advice as well as I can. Obviously, you can do what you want - but the police may also decide you need to pay for the privilege
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I've used the "visiting the parents who are in my bubble" argument the once that I got stopped (it was true as well). They are 16 miles from me. It was hard work but the fact that the PC had to think about two rules at the same time completely blew his mind so I was waved on. I know they've turned cyclists back to my home town from the same location that I was stopped at (on top of a hill about 7 miles away).

I've been really good with lockdown behaviour and I struggle with the whole "stay local" thing if I'm on my bike. The risks are minimal - both of transmission and having an accident big enough to warrant fucking up the NHS further. In fact the way they were stopping people (location and manner) actually put the NHS at more risk because there were plenty of near misses from cars swerving around or failing to observe uniformed traffic plod stood in the road with stationary cyclists! I'm more at risk by being in closer contact than I need to be with two people who I would not otherwise have seen on my ride!!!