Canyon Neuron 6 - Alternatives?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Beancounter

Canyon Neuron 6 - Alternatives?

Post by Beancounter »

A mate is ready to hit the button on a Canyon Neuron 6, the £2,049 spec. At that price point, what else should he be considering?

His riding is mainly Epping Forest. He's not into jumps or drops. He already has a very old hard tail (rim brakes!) and a Giant Anyroad XC/gravel bike so isn't looking for another of those.

Suggestions please?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Canyon Neuron 6 - Alternatives?

Post by weeksy »

Not seeing anything much out there in that range that's full suspension
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Spec looks reasonable for the price BUT Canyon customer service can be a total nightmare. A bloke I ride with occasionally had a seat stay snap on his Canyon and they were very slow to acknowledge the issue and send out a replacement (which broke again).
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:02 pm Not seeing anything much out there in that range that's full suspension
Certainly not in the 'new' category. I don't think he needs full suspension for his riding/Epping Forest but his mind seems to be made up. Don't really need full suss for Surrey Hills either to be fair so I should stop being a hypocrite.
MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:34 pm Spec looks reasonable for the price BUT Canyon customer service can be a total nightmare. A bloke I ride with occasionally had a seat stay snap on his Canyon and they were very slow to acknowledge the issue and send out a replacement (which broke again).
That's good (though not good) to hear as I thought Canyon were supposed to be one of the better direct-buy manufacturers.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I would plump for Bird - but I think they will be 2-300 quid more than that.
I thought Canyon had stopped delivering to the UK - and I doubt the prices will be what they were ...
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Personally I'd spend the same money on a higher spec hard tail if he doesn't need full suspension, but full suspension is pretty.
Honda Owner
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:57 pm I would plump for Bird - but I think they will be 2-300 quid more than that.
I thought Canyon had stopped delivering to the UK - and I doubt the prices will be what they were ...
The Canyon website says they're delivering to the UK but not to NI now. I think Bird is a good call though a bit more expensive (but then the spec appears to be better too).
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:21 pm Personally I'd spend the same money on a higher spec hard tail if he doesn't need full suspension, but full suspension is pretty.
It's hard for me to disagree with you without being hypocritical - I went straight from cheap Giant XTC to a BMC full suss and then three months later bought Weeksy's Commencal Meta and then bought a Whyte T-130 a year after that.

Just had a message from him, he's 90% for a full suss but would consider a hardtail.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Evolution cycles in Eastbourne have a couple of Orange hard tails for sale at his price point.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 pm Evolution cycles in Eastbourne have a couple of Orange hard tails for sale at his price point.
I was about to ask for suggestions on hardtails, he seems open to the suggestion. I've pinged him a link to Whyte hardtails and Ragley bikes (though possibly a bit overkill for his needs) - any others?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »