That’s not a knife...

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Monstyr

Re: That’s not a knife...

Post by Monstyr »

If it’s of any interest I made it on a day out with my eldest son who got me this for Christmas one year, it’s a day with this chap
https://www.bbblacksmithing.co.uk/
Something different for someone who has everything the want.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Monstyr wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:26 am If it’s of any interest I made it on a day out with my eldest son who got me this for Christmas one year, it’s a day with this chap
https://www.bbblacksmithing.co.uk/
Something different for someone who has everything the want.
Cheers for that. Looks like a good day and I really like some of his creations. One thing the web site doesn't say (or I missed it) is where he is. Shropshire?
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

He seems to travel around shows and locations,I guess it depends on where he’s booked into. I made my knife at the crannog centre on loch Tay, but he’s been at sites all over the south of England too.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I just finished this one. O1 toolsteel, stock removal, here it is with a light temper after hardening.

My first leather sheath (my first leather anything as it happens).

It's a copy of a Gough custom I saw, complete with window breaker.

All done

Sharp as anything...
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Lot of work in that, looks good.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

demographic wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:17 pm Lot of work in that, looks good.
Thanks, first time working leather and it’s kinda fun….

Perhaps the best part is, being a tool steel, the thing is fantastically sharp.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

BTW, Forged in Fire is now on Channel 5. I watched four episodes on one of the C5 sub channels this afternoon. It'll be on the C5 catch services.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:29 pm
demographic wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:17 pm Lot of work in that, looks good.
Thanks, first time working leather and it’s kinda fun….

Perhaps the best part is, being a tool steel, the thing is fantastically sharp.
The only leather working I've done has been rivetted together with copper rivets and the stamps I've used have been wooden printing blocks used in a vice.
There's a bloke named Harry something on Youtube thats done some good tutorials on leatherworking.

Oh, I forgot. I stitched a belt sheath for a folding knife 20 odd years ago but to be honest I never use em to hold folders so It's hardly been used. I always feel a bit of a pratt with a folder in a sheath and they just live in my arse pocket instead.
Fixed blades are obviously different so need some form of sheath.
Looks good.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

demographic wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:51 pm Oh, I forgot. I stitched a belt sheath for a folding knife 20 odd years ago but to be honest I never use em to hold folders so It's hardly been used. I always feel a bit of a pratt with a folder in a sheath and they just live in my arse pocket instead.
They have their place, this comes in handy for my Svord Peasant as it dosen't have a pocket / belt clip on it what because of the bloody long tang they have;

Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

demographic wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:51 pm
The only leather working I've done has been rivetted together with copper rivets and the stamps I've used have been wooden printing blocks used in a vice.
There's a bloke named Harry something on Youtube thats done some good tutorials on leatherworking.

Oh, I forgot. I stitched a belt sheath for a folding knife 20 odd years ago but to be honest I never use em to hold folders so It's hardly been used. I always feel a bit of a pratt with a folder in a sheath and they just live in my arse pocket instead.
Fixed blades are obviously different so need some form of sheath.
Looks good.
Cheers. I may experiment with rivets etc. and I have a bag full of decent leather offcuts to play with.

I did a quick test with a 3D print stamp (Penrose kites an darts) and did the embossing on the flypress. Looks like it works well so I’ll probably be embossing everything in sight. My everyday carry is a Gerber multi tool and this thing will only even make it to the garden!

I think the key is issue with belt carry is small form factor so my next leather thing will probably be a discreet holder for the multi tool.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:41 pm I think the key is issue with belt carry is small form factor
Agree, and leather looks ace, but have you had a play with kydex yet? Youtube makes it looks easy but I'd hazard it's a subtle art.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:41 pm
Cheers. I may experiment with rivets etc. and I have a bag full of decent leather offcuts to play with.

I did a quick test with a 3D print stamp (Penrose kites an darts) and did the embossing on the flypress. Looks like it works well so I’ll probably be embossing everything in sight. My everyday carry is a Gerber multi tool and this thing will only even make it to the garden!

I think the key is issue with belt carry is small form factor so my next leather thing will probably be a discreet holder for the multi tool.
I think the rivets I used were number 8s, which were the largest diameter I could find and solid copper,
The embossing was just done with wooden print stamps from india and there's masses of them cheap on Ebay.
Loads of varieties with animal, flower, tree, good luck symbol, sun and other random stuff.
They're not all as flat as I would like but a rub on coarse sandpaper sorts that.
So far all the leather I've bought has been 3.5mm veg tanned*

It was just for a dog collar (1" wide) so the stamps had to be pretty small and I used a bit of wood as a backing plate so I didn't end up with vice jaw patterns on it.
Its been a few months of everyday wear for the dog and the embossing seems more or less the same as when I did it although the leather has darkened cos he's in and out of the river all the time and the water and then Leder Gris waterproofing wax stuff (I bought for boots) to keep it supple changed its colour slightly.

Later on daughters dog (he's a French Bulldog so has a gob like a set of end cutting nips) chewed the webbing lead we had for our dog so I used the catch off that and knocked a lead up.
That wasn't long ago so its not really had a fair test of time yet.

Can't see me making money doing it but its nice to make things we need every once in a while.

*the stuff I made a sheath was thinner and likely not veg tanned but was from some my mother used to make purses from. She used to cut several out at a time on a press with a special cutter so was fairly setup for it.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:16 am
Screwdriver wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:41 pm I think the key is issue with belt carry is small form factor
Agree, and leather looks ace, but have you had a play with kydex yet? Youtube makes it looks easy but I'd hazard it's a subtle art.
I have some on hand yes, was going to make a kydex sheath for this one but I literally have a sack full of decent leather offcuts so...
demographic

Post by demographic »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 pm They have their place, this comes in handy for my Svord Peasant as it dosen't have a pocket / belt clip on it what because of the bloody long tang they have;

Yeah, I have a Peasant and it does take up a lot of pocket space for what it is, nice blade shape though.
Then I got a Spyderco friction folder (secondband so nowt like full price) thinking it was shorter when closed but by fark its a wide handled fat lump.
It's not generally recommended to carry friction folders in a pocket as they can open up but I must have em slightly tighter on the pivot as it's not been an issue.

After kissing a few frogs I've ended up with a Manly Wasp in CPM S90V which seems to hold a decent edge and maybe about the level of ZDP 189 and SGPS steels. The Wasp doesn't lock but has a very strong backspring so being shorter than 3" its legal to carry pretty much whenever (although, I don't cart it into the pub but then again I'm never in the pub anyway).
That lives in my back pocket.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I rather like these, bit spendy though...

cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=ultimate-set-with-steak-knives&view=product