Like The Proverbial Bus - Three Bikes Come Along At Once

Anything you like about motorbikes
Phoenix

Like The Proverbial Bus - Three Bikes Come Along At Once

Post by Phoenix »

I’ve been waiting for some years for a decent single cylinder, mid size ‘thumper’ to come along and now there are three - leaving aside that Aprilia are rumoured to be making a 300c.c. or thereabouts single.

The Enfield is selling like hot cakes and the Honda CB350 is also getting good sales in the place where they are made - India. RE have said they will be bringing the Meteor to the U.K. this Spring. Honda are keeping quiet. One thing is for certain, if Honda bring it to the U.K. they will have to ditch the ‘Highness’ name.

I like the seat on the Enfield As well as the various trim models. Unfortunately it is 10kg heavier than the Honda. Power wise, much of a muchness - given our gridlocked roads I don’t think it matters that much anyway. As for quality build on the Enfield...Mmm...?

I searched everywhere to get a good comparison video and this is possibly the best.
The Missenden Flyer On YouTube has also made a review of the Enfield.

I am tempted to go for the Enfield.

Note, the RE engine was designed in the U.K. by ex-Triumph engineers/designers.

Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Re: Like The Proverbial Bus - Three Bikes Come Along At Once

Post by KungFooBob »

The Meteor is being marketed as a budget/commuter cruiser with slightly 'feet forward' controls.

The Benelli is more of a competitor for the original EFI Bullet (of which I am a happy owner).

I don't think the Honda will make it to the UK, unless RE shift a load of Meteors and the big H decide they want a piece of that market... but then they already sell the CMX500 Rebel here.

The Meteor does look like it's going to be crazy cheap in the UK (well under £4k).
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Agree with most of your points. The Meteor is a little near to the cruiser style with the pegs and seat design. I like that RE have fitted a USB port that is easy to access as well as the Bluetooth Google Maps sat nav.

You may well be right about Honda not bringing it to the U.K.

There are lots of issues that owners are complaining about with the Rebel 500 - not up to Honda’s usual build and quality control. They went for cheap and got cheap.

1. A nightmare just to get the battery out. 2. No centre stand - only place to get one is in the U.S at a steep price! Have fun trying to oil the chain or change a tyre. 3. No provision for stock suspension lift bobbins on the swinging arm. 3. Clutch housing pushes out your foot. 4. No way to view the oil level with the bike up straight - all the foot controls get in the way. Terrible design. 5. Lots complain about the bolts on the rear mudguard. Made from chocolate, apparently. 6. An almost impossible to read the speedometer under bright daylight conditions - picked up by both Visordown and MCN. 7. The screw holding the rear brake fluid reservoir falls into the battery compartment when being undone. Hard work to retrieve.

One thing in favour of the RE would be ease of maintenance. RE have even started to produce a series of basic maintenance videos! Surely a first from a major manufacturer? Excellent!

Yes, the RE will sell for those wanting a non sport, mid range bike.

Royal Enfield Tutorial - One of many.

Honda Rebel 500 - How To Check Your Oil Level - Lol

Brave Browser kills all YT ads.

:)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

A couple of design videos on the R.E. you may like.

I can’t wait to see what B.S.A. come up with - not cheap I bet. Oh...rumour has it that Triumph are sniffing around at a smaller sized bike.

🙂