Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Horse »

The Fb page has a link to help.

Links to a form

https://forms.office.com/pages/response ... cySkRSOS4u
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm hearing alot of stuff about Hydrogen EVs now - so called "HFCEVs", Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles. As has been said a few times up there ^^^ hydrogen has the advantage that you can fill up in a few minutes. It has the disadvantage of needing an as yet pretty much non-existent infrastructure, plus it's more costly to move hydrogen about. As I've said a few times, I reckon if/when HFCEVs are a thing they'll actually be hybrids, they'll have fuel cells and batteries. One for long range, the other for short.

One big blocker though is making the tanks and cells at reasonable cost. Which is why i'm now seeing a lot of it - there are a spate of companies and government backed programmes to bring the cost down, like this one which some of my old colleagues are working on:

https://www.nccuk.com/news/uk-consortiu ... and-buses/
Horse

Post by Horse »

Horse wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:33 pm The Fb page has a link to help.

Links to a form

Hmmm

H being a fuckwit, posted not just in the wrong thread but wrong forum ...
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:12 am
Horse wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:33 pm The Fb page has a link to help.

Links to a form

Hmmm

H being a fuckwit, posted not just in the wrong thread but wrong forum ...
Hmm, I did wonder what you were rabbiting about. :mrgreen:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Tesla are making bold claims for their new "Plaid" motor...

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elon-mu ... r-version/

On the one hand it's good that they're generating enthusiasm around the subject. On the other hand, I do have to laugh - a carbon wrapped motor is NOT a new idea. :D They've been in series production for a decade at least! They're properly Apple like in the way they claim to have invented stuff that's been around for donkeys :lol: In fact they way Tesla do it - wrapping strands around a motor - is actually the lower performance version of the technology.

The carbon sleeve is such a 'revolutionary' idea that my colleagues can afford to ride slightly rude messages on them and give them out as leaving cards.

Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:55 am They're properly Apple like in the way they claim to have invented stuff that's been around for donkeys :lol:
'Twas always thus.

Everyone remembers James Watt and Robert Stephenson for inventing steam engines and steam locomotives.
Except Richard Trevithick invented the high pressure steam engine AND used it in a locomotive.

Everyone remembers Samual Colt for the revolver. He certainly didn't invent it, and didn't even make many. He was however brilliant at marketing.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:43 am
Everyone remembers James Watt and Robert Stephenson for inventing steam engines and steam locomotives.
Except Richard Trevithick invented the high pressure steam engine AND used it in a locomotive.
Trust a Cornishman to know that :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

It's a long list.

Didn't Darwin borrow some ideas, then rush to publish?

Edison was supposedly not beyond shady business practices.

The first powered flight took place in England.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:23 am It's a long list.
Yep. Sharp marketing gets remembered.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 am I'm hearing alot of stuff about Hydrogen EVs now - so called "HFCEVs", Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles.

One big blocker though is making the tanks and cells at reasonable cost. Which is why i'm now seeing a lot of it - there are a spate of companies and government backed programmes to bring the cost down, like this one which some of my old colleagues are working on:

https://www.nccuk.com/news/uk-consortiu ... and-buses/
In the news today:

https://highways-news.com/london-gettin ... e-deckers/

London getting hydrogen double-deckers
Paul Hutton
by Paul Hutton

AIR QUALITY & EMISSIONS, ENVIRONMENT, LOCAL GOVERNMENT
24 . 06 . 2021

England’s first ever hydrogen double decker buses are being launched in London, marking what the Mayor calls another major step towards making the bus fleet zero-emission and “cleaning up London’s toxic air”.

The 20 new environmentally-friendly buses, the first of their kind to be launched in England, will produce no pollution from their exhausts and join more than 500 electric buses in the core fleet which are already zero-emission. The new hydrogen fuel cell double decker buses are first being introduced on route 7 between East Acton and Oxford Circus.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:27 pm The new hydrogen fuel cell double decker buses are first being introduced on route 7 between East Acton and Oxford Circus.
Now all we need is a hydrogen pump somewhere west of Bristol and we will all be told to give up fossil fuels.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:55 am Tesla are making bold claims for their new "Plaid" motor.
Has Mr Musk watched Spaceballs too many times?

I suppose it is one up from Ludicrous speed.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:12 pm I suppose it is one up from Ludicrous speed.
That was the old version of the car. Genuinely :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Tesla Model 3 the UK's biggest selling car in June

5,468 T3s, beating 4,629 Golfs.

But the odd thing is that they haven't been in the top ten for the rest of the year.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:15 pm Tesla Model 3 the UK's biggest selling car in June

5,468 T3s, beating 4,629 Golfs.

But the odd thing is that they haven't been in the top ten for the rest of the year.
Counting registrations rather than sales?
So that will be a years supply arriving on the same ship.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mercedes announced last week that they're cutting ICE development by 80% and allocating €40bn for the development of EVs up to 2030. By 2025 you'll be able to buy an electric equivalent of every model in their range.

As part of these drive they've also acquired a number of technology firms covering a whole range of things from recycled material, batteries and motor design. I am extremely happy about this ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:50 pm Counting registrations rather than sales?
So that will be a years supply arriving on the same ship.
That was my first thought, although ghat means a lot of depreciating assets parked somewhere. Unsold new is one thing, unsold registered is instant price drop.

My other first thought was a massive (rental?) fleet purchase.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:10 pm Mercedes announced last week that they're cutting ICE development by 80% and allocating €40bn for the development of EVs up to 2030. By 2025 you'll be able to buy an electric equivalent of every model in their range.

As part of these drive they've also acquired a number of technology firms covering a whole range of things from recycled material, batteries and motor design. I am extremely happy about this ;)
Sounds good but is that every model in the current range or every model in their SUV only future range? Hopefully we'll start to get a better choice soon.
I was looking at a possible EV for me a few days ago, it had roof rails but they were cosmetic only with no loading allowed. Most seem to be no towing either, I don't know if that's because they know people who move loads around won't be interested or if it spoils their figures somehow.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

There's a great pic doing the rounds on FB of a Tesla sitting on a rollback tow-truck parked at a Tesla charging station. I guess they couldn't just show up & pour enough electricity from a bucket to get the vehicle to the *gas station*.