COVID-19

What's happening in the world, the news, the current hot topics of the day.
Dodgy knees

Re: COVID-19

Post by Dodgy knees »

Going by my recent experiences of the seaside town...full lockdown by September. 🙁
Yamaha rocket 3

Horse

Post by Horse »

So, just checking my understanding of today's warning, they are considering closing pubs as the only way to get teachers out and back into schools? ;)

Dodgy knees

Post by Dodgy knees »

Think their out of idea's. 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3

Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Boris is hedging his bets as usual.

No second wave and it’s see how the lockdown has saved us.

Second wave comes and it’s well we told you to social distance but you wouldn’t listen to us.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Any better ideas? I love the way the government get slated for everything, but are not suggesting better plans.

So, let's hear how other people would do it now if they were in the position of power

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Scotsrich wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:22 am

Second wave comes and it’s well we told you to social distance but you wouldn’t listen to us.
Seeing as half the people at the m_way services couldn't be arsed to wear face coverings on Friday I reckon folk have got no-one to blame but themselves.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:36 am
Scotsrich wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:22 am

Seeing as half the people at the m_way services couldn't be arsed to wear face coverings on Friday I reckon folk have got no-one to blame but themselves.
And they'll be the exact same people blaming everyone else. It's an imperfect world and plenty of people have made mistakes and plenty are still doing so.
How many people cannot see this is beyond me.
Plenty of mistakes from the government for sure, but they're far from alone.

The rest of Europe is now having spikes, I wonder if their general public are screaming for heads too?

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'm quite surprised how many tourists here are wearing masks.
Maybe it's due to the example set by us locals?
Or the threat of big fines from the Guardia Civil?

Probably a combination of both :)

Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

UK lockdown was a joke.

What we should have done is total lockdown, no-one allowed out without a mask, no-one allowed more than 500m from their house, no transport, skeleton staff at hospitals, and police/military out in force. Anyone breaking rules arrested (not fined, arrested and put in a cell until convenient to charge them). Give them 24 hours notice to get some food, then stay indoors for a week.

Dodgy knees

Post by Dodgy knees »

weeksy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am
Any better ideas? I love the way the government get slated for everything, but are not suggesting better plans.

So, let's hear how other people would do it now if they were in the position of power

Well... Firstly there was far too much confusion on the do's and don'ts. Nobody was sure what they could do regarding travel /outdoor exercise, etc.

Hesitation on introduction of mask wearing in non social distancing environments. By about 4 months.

Boris catching it himself was not a great leadership example. Governments are there to be tugged at, that's the job.

Absolutely no deterent on large gatherings such as the law breaking statue demolition gangs.

If i was in power.. 😊 complete disregard of pandemic suffocating guidelines would be death by shooting, i would expand this punishment to all burglars, street robberries and assault and kiddy fiddlers.

The answers are out there but they don't always win you the majority vote. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3

Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Lift the lockdown as much as possible.

Get folk back to work before the country’s economy disappears down the toilet if it’s not too late already.

Get the NHS back working instead of sitting on its arse waiting for the ‘second wave’ which may or may not ever come.

There are approx 1200 people in hospital with Covid 19 in the whole of the U.K. and the country is still paralysed.

How many 10s of thousands is it going to kill through delayed treatment for cancer and heart disease alone.

Okay it was nasty at the time if you were in a particular age group or with particular health issues but we can’t hide under the bed indefinitely in case the big bogey man comes back.

Horse

Post by Horse »

Scotsrich wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:28 pm
Get the NHS back working instead of sitting on its arse waiting for the ‘second wave’ which may or may not ever come.
Well, I'm going in tomorrow for major, but non-urgent, surgery, and will be in for several days. How much more normal do you want?

The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Horse wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:41 pm
Scotsrich wrote:
Well, I'm going in tomorrow for major, but non-urgent, surgery, and will be in for several days. How much more normal do you want?
Good luck with that.

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote:
Scotsrich wrote:
Should we be addressing you as Mare afterwards?

Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote:
I'm going in tomorrow for major, but non-urgent, surgery, and will be in for several days.
Best wishes man and GWS. :thumbup:

Horse

Post by Horse »

Thanks all.
Mussels wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:17 pm
Horse wrote:
Scotsrich wrote:
Should we be addressing you as Mare afterwards?
:D

No, having something even harder removed, a chunk of skull ... Gulp :(

irie

Post by irie »

weeksy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno

irie

Post by irie »

There are many estimates for the economic cost of lockdown and the number of associated deaths. For the sake of argument assume the economic cost is £200bn and the number of deaths is 100,000

The economic cost of each death would be £2,000,000

There are obviously other global factors involved, but it is self evident that UK lockdown simply can not continue.

Edit: £200bn is ~10% of UK GDP (~£2,210bn)
Last edited by irie on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno

melons

Post by melons »

Contact Tracing, a flawed sense of security? and Care Homes! ... again.

The Times (today's edition)
Melbourne, Australia's second largest city, has entered a strict six week "shock & awe" lockdown with a police curfew as cases of corona virus surge in 80 care homes.
The southeastern state of Victoria was declared a disaster zone as it's 6 million people were told to stay at home. In Melbourne, the state capital of 5 million, police will enforce an 8.00pm curfew with fines expected to reach thousands of dollars.
The authorities in Victoria said that there were nearly 2000 cases of covid 19 for which contact tracers could not find the source of infection. Brett Sutton, the state chief health officer, compared the curfew and lockdown to "shock & awe" tactics

...In Sydney, Australia's largest city and the capital of New South Wales, the most populous state shoppers and commuters were told to start wearing face masks
meanwhile, in Berlin a 20,000-strong protest took place this weekend against Germany's Hygiene rules with protestors shouting 'we are the second wave' :eh:

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

According to the BBC, Iran's death rate is 3 times what they've been saying.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53598965

VW doing their number juggling as well?