COVID-19

What's happening in the world, the news, the current hot topics of the day.
ogri

Re: COVID-19

Post by ogri »

Ignorance is bliss

irie

Post by irie »

There may not be a second wave of Covid-19 in the UK.

Wiki: Sunetra Gupta is "Professor of theoretical epidemiology at the University of Oxford".

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20154294v1
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

irie wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:00 am

Wiki: Sunetra Gupta is "Professor of theoretical epidemiology at the University of Oxford".

Any fool could make that guess.
Mussels wrote:I suspect that during the first wave those who are most likely to catch and spread it did so. Now that fraction of the population have had it and assuming there is some level of immunity the infection rate can fall dramatically as those people are the most likely to meet super spreaders. Hopefully we have found the right level to stay just below tipping point.
https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads ... ost3021780

irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:27 am
irie wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:00 am

Any fool could make that guess.
Mussels wrote:I suspect that during the first wave those who are most likely to catch and spread it did so. Now that fraction of the population have had it and assuming there is some level of immunity the infection rate can fall dramatically as those people are the most likely to meet super spreaders. Hopefully we have found the right level to stay just below tipping point.
https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads ... ost3021780
I wouldn't classify Sunetra Gupta as a guessing fool but hey, each to their own.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno

Post by 1888 »

Did you miss the current affairs section for the shit what will end up as MMPP?

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Anybody else got a letter from the NHS/Imperial College London/Ipsos MORI asking them to register to take part in CV-19 antibody testing?

Signed by Lord Bethell of Romford, no less. :D

David

Post by David »

Are you going to do it?

If you do, wear that nice frock....

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Kinda depends what you mean by a "second wave". We're certainly not on a decreasing trajectory any more. How much worse it gets depends on the infection mechanisms. Too few people have been infected and recovered for the population to develop any meaningful herd immunity, though the NHS staff who were most heavily exposed early on due to the govt's failure to provide adequate PPE may have developed a degree of immunity, and hopefully the PPE situation has improved since March. Also, the heavy death toll in nursing homes due to the govt instructing hospitals to turf out patients into homes without testing them should hopefully not be repeated. The mandating of masks is a welcome development, though as usual with this govt it's too little, too late (France just mandated masks in all enclosed public spaces, which is what we should do). But at least there are moves out in the public sphere to cut down on close contact, whether in shops, pubs or (closed) mass assemblies. One hopes workplaces will take it seriously.

So no, fingers crossed we won't see the sort of soaring exponential explosion we saw earlier this year, but until the govt stops prioritising business over lives we're going to see people continuing to die in increasing numbers.
owid.jpg
owid.jpg (110.45 KiB) Viewed 226 times

JamJar

Post by JamJar »

gremlin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm
Anybody else got a letter from the NHS/Imperial College London/Ipsos MORI asking them to register to take part in CV-19 antibody testing?

Yes I did.

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

gremlin wrote:

Well having received the prick test in the post I have done it and it confirms that I am a total prick. :D

It also indicates that I am free of any sort of antibodies, so we can conclude that I ain't 'ad the lurgey.

Hey-ho.

Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

...and if the government let the economy go to shit, they would be in the shit for that.

There is no pleasing some. I bet Starmer is pretty pleased he isnt PM right now.

JamJar

Post by JamJar »

gremlin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 pm
gremlin wrote:

Well having received the prick test in the post I have done it and it confirms that I am a total prick. :D

It also indicates that I am free of any sort of antibodies, so we can conclude that I ain't 'ad the lurgey.

Hey-ho.
My test arrived yesterday as well and I too am negative for antibodies.

Harry

Post by Harry »

Tomcat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:29 pm
Kinda depends what you mean by a "second wave". We're certainly not on a decreasing trajectory any more. How much worse it gets depends on the infection mechanisms. Too few people have been infected and recovered for the population to develop any meaningful herd immunity, though the NHS staff who were most heavily exposed early on due to the govt's failure to provide adequate PPE may have developed a degree of immunity, and hopefully the PPE situation has improved since March. Also, the heavy death toll in nursing homes due to the govt instructing hospitals to turf out patients into homes without testing them should hopefully not be repeated. The mandating of masks is a welcome development, though as usual with this govt it's too little, too late (France just mandated masks in all enclosed public spaces, which is what we should do). But at least there are moves out in the public sphere to cut down on close contact, whether in shops, pubs or (closed) mass assemblies. One hopes workplaces will take it seriously.

So no, fingers crossed we won't see the sort of soaring exponential explosion we saw earlier this year, but until the govt stops prioritising business over lives we're going to see people continuing to die in increasing numbers.
What is it you don't get about politics being kept to another part of the forum?

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

JamJar wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:41 am
gremlin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 pm
gremlin wrote:

Hey-ho.
My test arrived yesterday as well and I too am negative for antibodies.
So neither of us can wear the bumming hat? :o

irie

Post by irie »

Harry wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:14 pm
What is it you don't get about politics being kept to another part of the forum?
Which section of this forum is for politics? Just asking.

Gedge

Post by Gedge »

irie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:31 pm
Harry wrote:
I would say ‘current affairs’is the designated place ?

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Gedge wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm
irie wrote:
Harry wrote:
Is the correct answer. I don't mind a bit of cross-posting, cross-topicing etc, but realistically, there. I'll modify the header a bit.

Harry

Post by Harry »

weeksy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm
Gedge wrote:
irie wrote:

Is the correct answer. I don't mind a bit of cross-posting, cross-topicing etc, but realistically, there. I'll modify the header a bit.
At least if they have their own sub forum where they can whine about the government then everyone else can stay away.
There is the argument that you can just ignore them but when it's the same people with same old whining it ruins any discussion.

irie

Post by irie »

weeksy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm
Gedge wrote:
irie wrote:

"Current Affairs / Politics / News." :thumbup:

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Wreckless Rat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:36 pm
There is no pleasing some. I bet Starmer is pretty pleased he isnt PM right now.
He’s not the only one. ;)