KTM 390 Adventure

Anything you like about motorbikes
Deadpool2

KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Deadpool2 »

Not mine, but I had one as a loan bike while mine (790 duke) as being fixed.

What a hoot, I managed around 120 miles around the mud,damp, slimy roads in the Chilterns. I am not especially fast or especially good and the £1000 excess, had me even more nervous than usual.

I really wanted to try the adventure thing to see if it would help alleviate my back pain.

I just got handed the keys and got told to go. First event of the day was trying to get it started. Unlike the 790, you actually need to press a separate starter switch. On the 790, the starter switch is incorporated into the kill switch. So after pressing the red button and not a dicky bird, I paid a bit more attention and noticed the starter switch. Press button, it short of shakes itself awake and settles down to a pleasant burble.

The switchgear is the same as the 790, and it felt a bit more substantial than on my bike, which was odd. The dash was pretty nice, fairly large and easy to see, although I wished the speedo reading was larger. Can't remember much more, other than it had traction control and it was switched to road. Mirrors are lovely and work a treat but make filtering a bit more difficult.

The riding position was spot on for me, as was the seat height. Everything literally fell to hand and foot. Clutch was light and the throttle didn't seem to have too much slack and felt OK. I can't remember if its a cable throttle or not. There seems to be a central GPS mount integrated in the front screen frame and a big 12V output just behind the bars.

Front suspension had some adjustability as I spotted some levers under the handlebars but didn't play with them.

Bike had about 850 miles on the ODO and by the time I got it back it its was up to around 970.

The route was basically from Heathrow to On Yer Bike and back. Took the M40 to Beaconsfield, then to Great Missenden, Princes Risborough and On Yer Bike. I wasn't quite sure of the roads but there were loads of small lanes involved as I just turned off if I spotted something interesting and let waze do the rest.

The standard tires felt good and there was no slip sliding around, although I was not pressing on. The single front brake disc worked as well as I could have expected but it had a weird sound when lightly applied. Rear brake worked OK, but there was no much feel to it. I liked the fact it comes with cast wheels (front 19 and rear 17 I think) so no tubes issues etc and they are fairly narrow.

The gearbox was OK, I missed the QS. However, when going into 1 from a standstill, I could not always feel the engagement and had to look down to see if was still in neutral or had got into 1.

Although the engine is a single pot, 390 (doh!) it had enough vroom for the conditions and my ability. Cruised ok on the A roads at around 70 but on the motorway at similar speeds seemed to wander about the place. I didn't think it was that windy today. Screen worked ok, in that I did not notice any buffeting.

It was just fun riding the little thing around the lanes not going too quickly but a bit more quicker than bimbling. As the roads dried, I went a bit faster and never felt I needed more power when riding on the smaller roads. However on the A roads, overtaking needed more thought (and power) and in the end I decided actually going slower was no bad thing and no less fun. It was just fun, cracking on, without having to worry much about applying too much throttle or worrying about how fast I was going.

In the summer, on drier roads, and being less cautious, might show up some shortcomings, but hell for a winter bike it rocked.

Getting on my 790 duke, I felt all creased up, but did notice the smoothness and more power and if the rumoured 490 twin is a reality, it may prove to be the ideal. I am now wondering how the Honda 500 adv compares to this.

I did sit on a 790 Adv and it felt OK and it would seem the logical thing to do, but I don't like tubed tires (yes, its all in my head re punctures etc) and I am not going to be going off-road. I wonder if KTM will do a more road orientated 890 Adv, like Triumph do with their range.

Anyway, super bike, who knows maybe I shall get one one day.
The Spin Doctor

Re: KTM 390 Adventure

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Re punctures on tubes... when you've had a 70 mph blowout in the rear in the outside lane of a motorway whilst two-up, there's a lot to be said for tubeless tyres.

I don't know how a) I stayed on and b) managed to get the bike stopped on the hard shoulder.

I didn't manage that trick a couple of years later - I crashed at a much lower speed when I had a blowout mid-corner in Surrey. I also had a front tube go flat halfway through a left-hand bend in a 40 limit - the bike picked itself upright. I went straight on, between two cars coming the other way, and was incredibly lucky to go be able to go backwards down a layby and stop.

That second crash was actually caused by a thorn from hawthorn shrub.

Even with a completely flat tyre, tubeless fitments are so much more controllable. Someone tossed a bottle under my back wheel down near Wimbledon dog track one evening when I was despatching, and even with a 2" gash in the tyre I controlled it to a stop. I found I was able to ride the bike home to Kenton in NW London and then over to the tyre fitters next morning for a new tyre.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I really want to try a 390 Adventure. There are a lot of gravel tracks up and over the mountains in the summer and would love something light and easy to ride on 'not difficult' off road :) Need to find one to sit on as most of the adventures are a bit tall for me!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

My worst moment on a bike was due to front tyre deflation on a tubed tyred bike. It was a tenere 660. I was rattling down the A19 on the way to work. I was doing about 80 and had been sat in lane 2 and had been for a couple of miles. My turn off the A19 was one of those where you turn right across the live carriageway using a short deceleration lane in the central reservation. As I moved to the right into the lane and rolled off, the weight transferred to the front and all hell broke loose with tank slapper that slammed the bars from lock to lock and just threw me off. Thankfully it threw me to the right where I bounced on to the grass in the central reservation. If it had thrown me to the left it would have been under the truck that was following me.

Looking at the front wheel afterwards the tyre and tube had come right off the wheel. It must have deflated earlier, but the weight at the back plus centrifugal force had kept enough structure in the tyre to keep it going round until I put enoigh input in transfer the weight and upset it.

I’ve had two previous blowout on the GSAs I’ve had*, one front and one rear, and while they weren’t pleasant the locked in bead kept some structure to the tyre and it was controllable.

*spoked wheels but the spoke ends are on the edge on the outside of the wheel, a clever idea.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Only tube blow out I had was a pizza hut moped. Being 17 I heard a loud pop noise and briefly thought "what was that" before the front went lock to lock and was actually bouncing as well. Luckily I was only doing about 28mph and didn't crash but it scared the life out of me.

I then had to push the bastard thing about 2 miles with a flat front tyre which took a long long time
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Nathanthepostman on youtube has done some recent comparison videos on the ADV bikes he owns. He also rents them out so riders can test them back to back, and on the back lanes and tracks near his place in North Devon.

You can go there and ride a KTM 390, BMW GS310, Honda CRF 250 and Enfield Himalayan to see what suits you best. He has also put out a few reviews on his Guzzi TT85 off road.

He has led some groups on some epic on/off road trips (across the USA, across Australia and several John O'Groats to Lands End rides), so I value his opinion, and his early reviews were the main reason why I bought the Himalayan and not one of its competitors.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

I found Nathan's video on YouTube after my ride. He likes it, a lot. I did try a Himilayan, after so much positive press, and didn't enjoy it. Personally I found the msx more fun.

When I move to a small capacity bike the KTM will be hard to resist.

Damn shame there are no lanes around where I like and the smaller, single track roads can be done on a road bike, albeit a but slowly.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I have mentioned it before that Adam formerly Abel has the 390 ADV which was bought exactly for those options for a small capacity bike capable for tackling the trails as well as the road. As far as i know he is a fan so far.

He also has a 690 SMC for hooning about and a 790 for bigger mileage days
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Deadpool2 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm while mine (790 duke) as being fixed.
Just out of interest what was up with the 790?

I still toy with the idea of one. I like KTM as a brand the 790 on paper sounds perfect. But I've read about so many niggles I think it'll be a Yam or Kwak next.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:08 am
Deadpool2 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm while mine (790 duke) as being fixed.
Just out of interest what was up with the 790?

I still toy with the idea of one. I like KTM as a brand the 790 on paper sounds perfect. But I've read about so many niggles I think it'll be a Yam or Kwak next.
Left hand side water pipe and head gaskets.

So the RHS was not warranted, apparently, so that will need doing when it goes.

Hopefully the gasket is improved one, but who knows.

The one dodgy gasket is apparently the one between the water pipe and engine/oil sump (don't ask me exactly what) but its means that coolant leaks into the engine oil.

Its a very mixed bag with the niggles and a PITA as my local dealer has limited access to public transport (hence the 390 loan). Clocks can also be a problem with condensation.

I guess if you can still get a 2020 model for around £7.5k with 2 years warranty you should be fine. Hopefully the gasket and water pipe issues would be sorted.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Deadpool2 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am I guess if you can still get a 2020 model for around £7.5k with 2 years warranty you should be fine. Hopefully the gasket and water pipe issues would be sorted.
I'd buy nearly new, but I'd likely want to keep it a while and doesn't sounds worth the potential hassle once out of warranty. Issues I've seen seem to include oil leaks from rocker and output shafts, water leaks in various places and clock issues. Poor considering the bikes have been out for a while and still seem to have the same issues. I seem to recall the Adv also have issues with clutches as well. Such a shame as I said as I think it'd be ideal for me. Like the 690 but better for longer trips.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:24 pm
Deadpool2 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am I guess if you can still get a 2020 model for around £7.5k with 2 years warranty you should be fine. Hopefully the gasket and water pipe issues would be sorted.
I'd buy nearly new, but I'd likely want to keep it a while and doesn't sounds worth the potential hassle once out of warranty. Issues I've seen seem to include oil leaks from rocker and output shafts, water leaks in various places and clock issues. Poor considering the bikes have been out for a while and still seem to have the same issues. I seem to recall the Adv also have issues with clutches as well. Such a shame as I said as I think it'd be ideal for me. Like the 690 but better for longer trips.
I tend to want to keep my bikes longer as well, but its so nice to ride that I thought hell with the consequences. Also the love of orange is strong on the forum, so I got seduced.

I hope to keep it at least another year or two after warranty as I am not sure you can get the same aged bike with level of kit and performance. Lots of have the bike and no issues. Be difficult to see what to get after this tbh, Tracer 9 is the closest, as I really want cruise for the times I am just on the motorway to get somewhere.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Tracer 9 is high up my list too. Prefer the look of the XSR, but reckon the seat, faring, centre stand, bigger tank etc would make more sense on the Tracer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:59 pm Tracer 9 is high up my list too. Prefer the look of the XSR, but reckon the seat, faring, centre stand, bigger tank etc would make more sense on the Tracer.
Buy the XSR, you should buy a motorcycle with your heart, not your head (unless you're using it for transport)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Deadpool2 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:09 pm
Supermofo wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:24 pm
I tend to want to keep my bikes longer as well, but its so nice to ride that I thought hell with the consequences. Also the love of orange is strong on the forum, so I got seduced.

I hope to keep it at least another year or two after warranty as I am not sure you can get the same aged bike with level of kit and performance. Lots of have the bike and no issues. Be difficult to see what to get after this tbh, Tracer 9 is the closest, as I really want cruise for the times I am just on the motorway to get somewhere.
Cruise is a £200 option on the 890R and 2020 790 .
It's just a key in the ECU and a new top half of the LH switchgear, and I'd be surprised if the functionality isn't possible on pre-2020 790s- worth asking your dealer the question I reckon
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:18 pm Buy the XSR, you should buy a motorcycle with your heart, not your head (unless you're using it for transport)
True but it'll depend on the ride. I don't find the 690 sexy, but I love how it rides. The XSR seat was a bit hard, the pegs a bit high, and the tank's smaller. If the Tracer rides similar I'll take less fuel stops, easier chain maintenance, less bum/knee ache and wind blast. I can't see the thing whilst I'm riding it. Plus the Tracer looks ok. So it's not a total humdrum decision.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

2018 >
Yamaha rocket 3