Commuting ....

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Couchy

Commuting ....

Post by Couchy »

So I live 9 miles from the office and the cycling commute takes me through a trail centre, if I add a blue route it's a 15 mile trip. The distacne is no issue tbh but the weather and conditions are. Obviously my mtb has no mudguards and I also won't have time to clean it if I do this every day. I wore an all in one suit today and I'm dry and clean apart from my feet but that's easily rectified and I can change at work. But the bike is ditched and will need an hours cleaning after one journey.

As I pass through a trail centre and forest tracks I've no option but to get dirty, is there a decent to ride bike that could have full mudguards that wouldn't get destroyed with cleaning once a week ?

Obviously ebike as I don't do proper pedalling and I'd like to share batteries with my existing bosch one :)
Beancounter

Re: Commuting ....

Post by Beancounter »

Possibly the Whyte Winchelsea. It's got eyelets for mudguards but I'm not it's a Bosch battery.

Or perhaps the Whyte Hoxton:

Or similar offering from Ribble CGR AL e or the Ribble Hybrid:

However, if I had the cash, the Canyon Grail:ON would be my choice:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/e-bikes/e- ... be=GY%2FBK

Edit - the Whyte Hoxton looks gopping. The front end seems backwards.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

My Haibike Hardnine 8.0 has all the mounting points for full mudguards at the back, I haven't looked at the front, it's also built like a tank and a little bit of dirt isn't going to hurt it, mine's survived 750 miles of being ridden in mud, a quick wipe over once a week and then chucked back in the garage.
Haibike also do touring EMTBs that come with mudguards
They have Bosch or Yamaha motors
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:28 pm

Both the Whytes look shite. It's that dreadful headtube shape.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

lostboy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:30 pm
Beancounter wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:28 pm

Both the Whytes look shite. It's that dreadful headtube shape.
The Winchelsea isn’t as bad because it’s masked by the drops but it’s certainly not appealing. The balloon tyres don’t help. Normally Whyte bikes look as good as they perform. :thumbdown:

Actually, the more I look at the Canyon the less I like it. The steerer/stem interface looks clean but I don’t like it. The split level handlebars don’t appeal either.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I do like this cannondale e gravel bike, front and rear suspension and Bosch motor. If it had flat bars and wasn’t £4500. Dunno if I could ride it with the drop bars but I can imagine it would be very fast

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/g ... on-lefty-3
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

I think that Cannondale looks pretty good but I’m not sure how it would come with daily use through the grime - but that could be said for any bike I guess. Whyte Bikes used to come with lifetime warranties on the bearings, if they still do that would make the uggers above worth considering.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I don't pretend to be an expert and if you've been looking at five grand bikes you might turn your nose up at this, but I bought one of these recently and am very happy with it. Mudguards can be fitted.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/electric- ... R-p-169143