Can your indicators be seen?

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Scootabout

Can your indicators be seen?

Post by Scootabout »

I was turning right at a mini roundabout 2 or 3 weeks ago. 4 exits, all at 90 degrees. I entered the roundabout and planned to go round the island - as per HWC. Indicating right. As I was rounding the island a van pulled out and went straight on. I did an exaggerated shrug at him and he looked genuinely surprised. It was all at slow speed, so no drama. However, it made me wonder whether he could see my indicator. My newish to me Tracer 700 has hand guards, and the indicators are underneath them. It occurred to me that a high vehicle like a bus, lorry or large van might not be able to see them at close quarters.

Generalising the point a bit, I wonder how many of us have actually checked how easy it is to see their indicators? There could be other reasons why they aren't visible: weak bulbs, close to other lights, etc. Is it worth checking?

For my part, in that roundabout scenario, I'll aim to be more aware in future and maybe do an arm signal for good measure.

Thoughts?
iansoady

Re: Can your indicators be seen?

Post by iansoady »

I'm always surprised that people chuck away visible indicators and fit tiny "stealth" type items. No point having them if they can't be seen - but also no point assuming anyone has seen them.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Just to follow up on your arm signal idea - which arm signal? Not sure that sticking your R arm out is a good plan...you might need that hand for something else in a minute. I've always thought that waving your braking hand in the air as a slowing down signal is odd advice when you're about to enter an unpredictable situation.

And re indicators: my son bought an R1 with aftermarket indicators whose reflectors were such that the lights could only be seen clearly in daytime if you were at a certain distance or angle behind him. If you adjusted them it just changed the certain distance /angle. The problem obv wasn't apparent to him. They were changed for stock pronto.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I once pull out of a T-Junction because the approaching car was indicating to turn into the road I was on.... I pulled out and wrote his Corsa off with my work Transit Connect.

He swore blind he didn't have his indicator on and had no intention of turning.

I now take all indicators with a pinch of salt and assume everyone is out to get me.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:51 am I once pull out of a T-Junction because the approaching car was indicating to turn into the road I was on.... I pulled out and wrote his Corsa off with my work Transit Connect.

He swore blind he didn't have his indicator on and had no intention of turning.

I now take all indicators with a pinch of salt
This is just sensible.
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:51 am and assume everyone is out to get me.
This is paranoia. They're not out to get you, they just don't care about you and aren't really paying attention because their favourite song/most hated politician has just come on the radio etc etc.

I once had some pull out on me from a y-junction and the only damage was the indicator lens on my Scirocco because I managed to stop the car, "just". He claimed my indicator had been on (it hadn't) because the bulb was still merrily flickering away despite the broken lens.

"Of course it fucking is" I retorted ,"I've turned the hazards on!", pointing at the similarly blinking amber on the off-side of the car.

After a bit of mutual recriminations we both went our way thinking 'twat'.

People only see what they are looking for, they're not looking for bikes (or birds, or cycllists, or pedestrians etc etc)
non quod, sed quomodo
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When turning left over here, I often stick my arm out for cars behind. The sun is so bright, you often can't see the indicators.

Moreso on the dirt bike, where I might be turning into an unmarked dirt road.
Takes a few seconds, and keeps me safe.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

If the question is “Can another road user fail to see my signal?,” the answer is “Yes.”

And it should have occurred to you before now.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Having never changed my indicators from the factory ones I have never had a reason to check them apart from when I put panniers on. I checked them myself but also asked those behind me. All good. I did accidentally kick one off within the first 100 miles of owning my current bike when I was looking for some way of putting my feet up. As you do.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Rockburner wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:29 am
People only see what they are looking for, they're not looking for bikes (or birds, or cycllists, or pedestrians etc etc)
au contraire, lots of them are looking for burds ;)
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Wossname wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:04 am Just to follow up on your arm signal idea - which arm signal? Not sure that sticking your R arm out is a good plan...you might need that hand for something else in a minute.
Funnily enough, I've not used one in that exact same situation yet, and I was trying to visualise it in my own mind, thinking along the same lines as you. It would be slow speed, so I think it would have to be de-clutch, rear brake, quick stab of the right arm, hand back on throttle. It would be rather ironic to crash doing it, though, so needs to be used with discretion, if at all.
And re indicators: my son bought an R1 with aftermarket indicators whose reflectors were such that the lights could only be seen clearly in daytime if you were at a certain distance or angle behind him. If you adjusted them it just changed the certain distance /angle. The problem obv wasn't apparent to him. They were changed for stock pronto.
Well spotted.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

If you're that close to something that you need to grab the brake you're too close - arm signal or no.

The Honda Silverwing had sloping indicators set in the rear bodywork... completely invisible when the sun was at a particular angle.

https://www.motorcycle.com/images/conte ... abs_06.jpg
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I have fairly recently started riding a classic which doesn't have indicators. I do the old school arm signal thing, but I do wonder how many drivers realise what my flapping is about.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

People keep using that "drivers won't know what I'm on about" argument when I mention the positive benefits of arm signals on training courses, but with the possible exception of the turn-left windmill thing out the driver's side window or the 'left hand up, palm forwards' signal you're supposed to give to a plod on point duty to show you are going ahead, the three you're likely to use on a bike - left, right, slow - are all pretty self-explanatory...

...and in my experience, they work.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:30 am People keep using that "drivers won't know what I'm on about" argument when I mention the positive benefits of arm signals on training courses, but with the possible exception of the turn-left windmill thing ... are all pretty self-explanatory...
Really? Think again ;)

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

And a serious reply :)

When StevieD was running the BTEC courses, I did an assessment of a guy who did, amongst other stuff, training of bloodbikers in the Brizzel area. As an aside, he was probably one of, if not 'the' best rider I've ever seen- he avoided one situation which I think might have caught me out!

However, he was on-call, so riding a bloodbiker 1300 Pan European. I was quite surprised to see (and sometimes not) how the rear indicators didn't show well from all angles.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 am I have fairly recently started riding a classic which doesn't have indicators. I do the old school arm signal thing, but I do wonder how many drivers realise what my flapping is about.
I've ridden dirt bikes without indicators for years, never had a problem with people understanding what an arm signal meant, cyclists are supposed to still do them, what I would be cautious of though is riding a bike without indicators in the dark, no one sees your arm, I nearly got squished doing a right turn in the dark in 1987 on a 350LC with no indicators.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Scootabout wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:51 pm
.... so I think it would have to be de-clutch, rear brake, quick stab of the right arm, hand back on throttle....
I'm afraid I can't think of anything to recommend that sequence of events. Au contraire....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:57 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 am I have fairly recently started riding a classic which doesn't have indicators. I do the old school arm signal thing, but I do wonder how many drivers realise what my flapping is about.
I've ridden dirt bikes without indicators for years, never had a problem with people understanding what an arm signal meant, cyclists are supposed to still do them, what I would be cautious of though is riding a bike without indicators in the dark, no one sees your arm, I nearly got squished doing a right turn in the dark in 1987 on a 350LC with no indicators.
It's got Lucas electrics. Lights by the Prince of Darkness :D
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I still stick my left arm out somedays, just to make sure, well, half out.
Yamaha rocket 3