Lockdown battery trauma

Anything you like about motorbikes
Trogladyte

Lockdown battery trauma

Post by Trogladyte »

Like many of you, I have not been using my bikes that much recently. Under more normal circumstances, I do a 25 mile round trip to work, 5 days a week all year round. But times are not normal.

I have still been going out on a bike once or twice a week, but during the summer and early autumn, my journeys were longer. In the last couple of weeks they haven't had much use, and the Guzzi in particular hasn't been used for three weeks or so, and the last time I used it, I barely warmed it up.

Yesterday evening I had somewhere to go, so got all kitted up, and then worked my way through the seven or so locks needed to release the beast. But the beast wasn't having it. It tried, and fired a few times, saying things like "MTC Fail" on the dash, as it does when struggling with anything, but didn't catch. And then it stopped even trying. Better try the other bike. Lights come on, dash lights up, tacho does its sweep. This looks good. Hit the starter. "Click". Great.

Borrowed the motor off the missus. But its hardly the same.

So, today the KTM as been on the optimate for 9 hours. Measuring 13.2v. It should just go vroom. It doesn't. It goes chugga chugga MTC fail chugga. Erk. Shudder. Pop. It does this several times, but finally starts, and seems to run OK. I decide to run it up to temperature, but then notice the engine light is on. Hmm. Turn it off. Turn it on. Hit the button. Vroom! Engine light. Hmmm. Off and on again. Same. Off and wait for 5 mins. On again. button. Vroom! No engine light. OK, that's good, but I'm kind of glad it is due a service.

Optimate is now on the Guzzi.
Bigyin

Re: Lockdown battery trauma

Post by Bigyin »

I didnt try the Ducati today but the Fazer 600 has been sat up for 4 weeks but had to test the heated grips i fitted with the engine running. Fired up first time off the button with a little bit of choke :thumbup:

It ran a bit rough to start but as i had been fucking about with the tank off i thought maybe fuel wasnt getting through so checked lines and then all was smooth

I'll bung the big bike on the trickle charger for a few hours tomorrow as its not been out in a couple of weeks
Skub

Post by Skub »

Optimates work best when they are connected as soon as you park up at home.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
David

Post by David »

Well...I sympathize...the half built viceroy does similar...but fills the exhaust with guel...the le has zero voltage but there is a new battery waiting. The victor has power but the new tank is in a bedroom awaiting new laquer..dont hrt me started on the chainsaes...mowers...jet washes etc....
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:38 pm Optimates work best when they are connected as soon as you park up at home.
I used to do that when the bikes lived outdoors as winter would kill them enough to struggle to turn over a big twin first thing in the morning. I havent used the charger on the little Fazer as its out at least 4 or 5 times a week normally and the Ducati is normally ridden enough it doesnt need it all the time now
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:03 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:38 pm Optimates work best when they are connected as soon as you park up at home.
I used to do that when the bikes lived outdoors as winter would kill them enough to struggle to turn over a big twin first thing in the morning. I havent used the charger on the little Fazer as its out at least 4 or 5 times a week normally and the Ducati is normally ridden enough it doesnt need it all the time now
For me it takes thinking out of the equation. I don't need to worry if the battery has juice when I take the notion for a ride. It's just one thing to plug in and forget.
Why would ya not do it?
Walt Whitman
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I've got a Li-ion battery on the Hornet as that hasn't shifted since the autumn.

The XJ6 is still on the OE fitment battery. Not bad for a 59 plate. I reckon the regular use helps.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 pm I've got a Li-ion battery on the Hornet as that hasn't shifted since the autumn.

The XJ6 is still on the OE fitment battery. Not bad for a 59 plate. I reckon the regular use helps.
That's awesome. I'm pleased if I get 4 years out of a battery!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Trogladyte wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 pm I've got a Li-ion battery on the Hornet as that hasn't shifted since the autumn.

That's awesome. I'm pleased if I get 4 years out of a battery!
When I sold my ZX10R it was 16 years old and still using the stock Yuasa battery. I haven't bought a battery in decades,because I use an Optimate.
Walt Whitman
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm
When I sold my ZX10R it was 16 years old and still using the stock Yuasa battery. I haven't bought a battery in decades,because I use an Optimate.
I've never used a battery tender, ever. But I do ride pretty frequently (obviously!) and usually for longish rides. I'm very rarely doing anything under an hour.

I'm also convinced OE batteries are higher quality than anything you can buy over the counter, but when I have previously bought a replacement I have always tried to get something decent quality - usually Yuasa, sometimes Bosch. I used to live a few minutes from a major Bosch distributor so popping in and sourcing the right battery over the counter wasn't a problem.

Right now, I've switched to Shido LiFePO4 Lithium-iron batteries for the Hornet and the CB250RSA as they don't get used as much - so far, so good.

The R*b H*nter batteries sold by dealers are a total waste of money. I had to get one of those at short notice when the battery on the Hornet died in Oxford and it didn't even see out the year.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yeah,if you ride regularly, batteries prefer that. If like me,you no longer do shitty weather,then a battery manager best mimics real world use.
I hear you on original batteries.
From what I hear,lithium batteries have moved the game on and can stand long periods of neglect without the need for charging.
Walt Whitman
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:37 am I'm also convinced OE batteries are higher quality than anything you can buy over the counter,
Have you seen the FortNine video about OEM tyres?

Apparently there the opposite is true, they might be branded but they are not over the counter equivalents.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:19 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:37 am I'm also convinced OE batteries are higher quality than anything you can buy over the counter,
Have you seen the FortNine video about OEM tyres?

Apparently there the opposite is true, they might be branded but they are not over the counter equivalents.
I said that years earlier ;)

I wore out an OE Dunlop in under three thousand miles on the XJ6 - it was supposed to be a long(ish) life sport-touring compound.

I wasn't impressed and had a chat with it with the guy on the Dunlop stand at the NEC the following year and he said that the OE tyre was totally different in terms of compound. It was a soft single compound, to give excellent braking and cornering grip when new but also to be cheaper to buy for Yamaha than the dual compound over-the-counter tyre, which had a harder 'upright' strip and improved mileage whilst retaining its profile better.

Personally, I thought the Conti's on my Hornet were better tyres and switched to them anyway.
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:55 am Yeah,if you ride regularly, batteries prefer that. If like me,you no longer do shitty weather,then a battery manager best mimics real world use.
I hear you on original batteries.
From what I hear,lithium batteries have moved the game on and can stand long periods of neglect without the need for charging.
Reminded me that I had written this earlier in the year then forgotten to put it up on the FB page :)

Shido battery review:
https://business.facebook.com/SurvivalSkills/photos
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:31 pm
Reminded me that I had written this earlier in the year then forgotten to put it up on the FB page :)

Shido battery review:
There is a photo of a battery on that page,but I don't see a review.
Walt Whitman
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:01 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:31 pm

Shido battery review:
There is a photo of a battery on that page,but I don't see a review.
Trust me, it's there... if you click on the photo, the review opens. It should have gone straight to the post but for some reason it appears the link went to the photo album. I just love FB at times - how difficult is it to provide a 'share this' button? Anyhows.... this one should get you there.

https://business.facebook.com/SurvivalS ... 9850488239
Skub

Post by Skub »

Good info man. Interesting one chap mentioned a Triumph regulator didn't like lithium batteries. I wonder if that's a thing on other marques.
Walt Whitman
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:12 pm Good info man. Interesting one chap mentioned a Triumph regulator didn't like lithium batteries. I wonder if that's a thing on other marques.
I don't know. I don't know enough about electrics to understand why it might be affected by the battery. I mean, I know it converts AC to DC, and caps the voltage output. But beyond that...

Maybe there are a few iffy regulators which let too much voltage out into the battery. I think you can't go much above 14.5v with a LiFEPO4 battery.