Reynauds Disease

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr Moofo

Reynauds Disease

Post by Mr Moofo »

Does anyone here have any experience?
After many years of windsurfing, motorcycling and snowboarding with no issue , I have and issue where my feet go numb - as in completely white, when I cycle under 10 degrees. This has been partially resolved by sealskinz and walking boots for the colder months.
But it now seems to have moved to my fingers - went out on the Triumph two days ago (it was cold) - and both my mddile fingers went “white finger”. I am fairly sure it is not down to vibes - but the cold ...

Tips (other than stay in)
Scotsrich

Re: Reynauds Disease

Post by Scotsrich »

Hand guards as used in dirt bikes and adventure bikes.

At least that’ll lessen the wind blast.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I was diagnosed with Reynolds in my 20s. Pretty sure there is no cure, just management. I have Gerbing heated gloves for bike riding. Wearing fingerless gloves indoors now. It's mostly an overreaction to the cold but occasionally happens because of stress.

I came across a YouTube video a few years ago that suggested deliberate and extreme exposure followed by warmth and repeating that would cure it but I am dubious as that is exactly what is happening when I go out on the bike and it hasn't made any difference.

I would say get well soon but.....
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Just remembered that I was prescribed beta blockers for it but didn't want to take them.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yep, I've had it for last 20+ years , only very ocassionaly in my feet thankfully, but regularly in my hands running even with gloves on, and more often than not at some point when I ride a bike to a greater or lesser extent.
It has never affected more than 2 or 3 fingers/thumb at a time, but is an inconvenience when it does, though rarely painful.
Cold is the biggest thing to bring it on, but vibes etc can too- I get it on warm trackdays too a fair bit
Have never seen a doctor about it or taken anything for it, apart from running hands under warm water where available- that definitely helps bring them back quicker.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Check the front wheel balance. IIRC vibration can bring it on too, so cold weather biking is not great. On one of my lost a balance weight, that triggered it.

As Tricky, usually two fingers.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dave@ERT

Post by Dave@ERT »

Hi
I’ve not had experience of this myself but had a good friend that suffered very badly. He found that cutting caffeine out of his diet made a huge difference !? I also had another friend undergoing chemo (some of the side effects are very similar) and, upon trying the ‘no caffeine’ tip, he almost eliminated the issue....worth a try for a few weeks maybe ??
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Thanks all - it is not bad TBH... just a little annoying when it is in the fingers.
I will check wheel balance etc but vibes have never affected me that much ... and I owned a Buell!!

I get numb palms mountain biking - but I think that is a separate issue.
But the cold feet is a PITA - and may eventually stop me from going out. And it isn't because my feet are ( or really that cold!)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Heated grips. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 am Heated grips. 🤷‍♂️
That'll really help Moofo's feet!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Horse wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:49 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 am Heated grips. 🤷‍♂️
That'll really help Moofo's feet!
TBH , he has probably seen me ride !

The Triumph Scrambler is blessed with heat grips - unfortunately not the Diavel nor the T309. I guess I am just going to have to man up.
Heading up onto the Downs on a mountain bike in a minute - so I guess I will see if it is going to blight my life. It’s 9 degrees - so sealskinz needed
Claude

Post by Claude »

Mrs C suffers. I do offer to stick her hands somewhere warm.... never takes me up on the offer. :mrgreen:
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Mine came on in the spring. Mid-30s.

Annoyingly, I'd spent years cycling ten miles to work all year long in all weathers and not suffering. Then I switched jobs, started cycling about 3 miles to work and started suffering, even in milder temperatures. It also transferred to the motorbike where even with the heated grips on, winter gloves and keeping a loose grip on the bars I still suffered.

I went to the doctors for it purely because the NHS website told me to, they did bloods but all was normal so it's just "one of those things" I guess.

The only thing I can suggest for feet is something that helps keep the wind at bay. I have some waterproof oversocks for cycling that I used to wear in cold weather as they kept the windchill from my feet, similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-Police-Gor ... 2242371834

They won't keep your feet warm by themselves (I used winter socks for that), but they keep the wind off.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Went out on the Downs yesterday - thankfully my hands were fine. 11 degrees - but wet, foggy and general nasty - and my feet started to freeze. And that was inside waterproof walking boots, inside sealskinz.

I now wonder if it is pedal pressure on the bottom of my feet causing the initial issue ...
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

inewham wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:53 pm This is going to sound daft but that's never stopped me.
My feet get colder in my cycling shoes but not in clips. I wondered if heat gets conducted through the cleat to the pedal?

Edit, it was dumb, you said you had walking boots on :oops:
I wear walking boots for that reason - someone gave me a scenario about SPD cleats acting as a heat sink ....
Their suggestion was use composite pedals. Which I do. And don’t really help much!