utterly random picture thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Rockburner

Re: utterly random picture thread.

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 am
Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 am This has claimed at least 5 victims this week.
viewtopic.php?t=9167
I would put a road cone in the thing (I have a couple), but it would just get driven over.

There was a another deep pothole about 1/2 a mile away from this one that was almost permanently full of water over winter - the cone that someone pit into it (and which showed how deep the pothole was: over half the height of the cone!) was driven over within a week, and then repeatedly driven over (it got more and more battered) until it disintegrated.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm
I would put a road cone in the thing (I have a couple), but it would just get driven over.

... the cone that someone pit into it (and which showed how deep the pothole was: over half the height of the cone!) was driven over within a week, and then repeatedly driven over (it got more and more battered) until it disintegrated.
You have to wonder either what else people are prepared to drive over, or how oblivious they are to what's in front them.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm
Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm

... the cone that someone pit into it (and which showed how deep the pothole was: over half the height of the cone!) was driven over within a week, and then repeatedly driven over (it got more and more battered) until it disintegrated.
You have to wonder either what else people are prepared to drive over, or how oblivious they are to what's in front them.
I think some of the biggest 'culprits' are HGV drivers who really don't seem give a crap about road-condition, I daresay that potholes that would kick a car about are barely felt in the cab of something like a cement truck.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 pm
I think some of the biggest 'culprits' are HGV drivers who really don't seem give a crap about road-condition, I daresay that potholes that would kick a car about are barely felt in the cab of something like a cement truck.
Portable speed cushions are available that can be placed ahead of roadworks.

During tests, HGV drivers barely felt them.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Does anyone report these things? I’ve reported 2 recently on line, and been quite pleased at how quickly they’ve been repaired. I was told that one had already been reported and was fixed by the following morning, the other took 2 days. My advice is to report them- more effective than wringing your hands ( in my experience of 2).
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wossname wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm Does anyone report these things? I’ve reported 2 recently on line, and been quite pleased at how quickly they’ve been repaired.

My advice is to report them- more effective than wringing your hands ( in my experience of 2).
If they haven't been reported, the council can't be responsible for damages claims.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm
Wossname wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm Does anyone report these things? I’ve reported 2 recently on line, and been quite pleased at how quickly they’ve been repaired.

My advice is to report them- more effective than wringing your hands ( in my experience of 2).
If they haven't been reported, the council can't be responsible for damages claims.
Absolutely, because they don’t “know” the pothole exists. Another good reason to report them.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Wossname wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm Does anyone report these things? I’ve reported 2 recently on line, and been quite pleased at how quickly they’ve been repaired. I was told that one had already been reported and was fixed by the following morning, the other took 2 days. My advice is to report them- more effective than wringing your hands ( in my experience of 2).
Oh - I AM reporting them. So are other people (on the West Sussex CC system you can see all the currently "active" reports).

It doesn't help that the repairs are so shoddy that potholes reappear within a month or two in exactly the same locations.
non quod, sed quomodo
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I report them frequently, reported 2 today. I expect a man in a transit pickup to turn up next week, put a bit of cold tarmac in the hole, smack it twice with the back of a shovel and report that it is fixed. The week after I will need to report it again
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 pm I report them frequently, reported 2 today. I expect a man in a transit pickup to turn up next week, put a bit of cold tarmac in the hole, smack it twice with the back of a shovel and report that it is fixed. The week after I will need to report it again
They actually tore up the topmost surface on one section on our road because it got so bad, (only a 20 foot long stretch), resurfaced it properly, and there's potholes opening up in that new section already.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

AIUI potholes are caused by the layer under the top surface not being able to support said surface? Usually cause of water.

So resurfacing without fully tearing up the supporting layers is never gonna work for long.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm AIUI potholes are caused by the layer under the top surface not being able to support said surface? Usually cause of water.

So resurfacing without fully tearing up the supporting layers is never gonna work for long.
Reminds me, one of our glorious wood pulp wasters (poss. The Daily Fail or Times) picked up on a report from the Tarmac Association or some such that speculated part of the reason for increased numbers of potholes is vehicles getting heavier. The paper spun it into 'it's all the fault of electric cars'.

The report never mentioned electric cars at all. It did however mention changes in the weather (eg more rain) but the paper failed to mention what might just be contributing to that. :lol:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm AIUI potholes are caused by the layer under the top surface not being able to support said surface? Usually cause of water.

Reminds me, one of our glorious wood pulp wasters (poss. The Daily Fail or Times) picked up on a report from the Tarmac Association or some such that speculated part of the reason for increased numbers of potholes is vehicles getting heavier. The paper spun it into 'it's all the fault of electric cars'.

The report never mentioned electric cars at all. It did however mention changes in the weather (eg more rain) but the paper failed to mention what might just be contributing to that. :lol:
Cars are heavier than they were 20 years ago regardless of their fuel source.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 pm

Yup. Heavier, bigger etc. Lorries have done too.

But no. It's all the fault of electric cars. :lol:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm
Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 pm

But no. It's all the fault of electric cars. :lol:
"Print what will sell, (regardless of the truth)"
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm
TBH I think it's a case of 'print what you want the mugs who buy it to believe (regardless of the truth)' with much of Fleet Street now.

It's interesting though, I'm sure the roads didn't seem to be relaid much in the past and repairs did seem to last longer + it's usually a cycle of water and cold on cracks that cause potholes. It is wetter but warmer too. :think:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:34 pm
TBH I think it's a case of 'print what you want the mugs who buy it to believe (regardless of the truth)' with much of Fleet Street now.
I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, Occam's Razor still applies.
Count Steer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:34 pmIt's interesting though, I'm sure the roads didn't seem to be relaid much in the past and repairs did seem to last longer + it's usually a cycle of water and cold on cracks that cause potholes. It is wetter but warmer too. :think:
I think I'm right in saying that new coatings on roads seem to be a bit thinner than in the past, which probably doesn't help.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Doesn't modern tarmac deliberately let the water soak through too? The difference between new and old Tarmac as you drive along the M1 on a rainy day is stark.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Lorry maximum weights have not increased much and iirc the increase capacity is dependent on suspension type i.e. air suspension allows for greater gross weight (I've not done this for some time though so I could well be wrong.

When I was working at LCC I was discussing some proposals for remedial measures with the County Surveyor - I wanted to put shellgrip on a bend where there were a number of accidents and he wasn't a fan of it. He reckoned that powerful cars with wide, low profile tyres put as much stress into the road surface as trucks with air suspension. It was measurable apparently.

I got the shellgrip laid :thumbup: but we agreed it would be the grey stuff and not the khaki coloured version.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Yambo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 pm

Lorry maximum weights have not increased much and iirc the increase capacity is dependent on suspension type i.e. air suspension allows for greater gross weight (I've not done this for some time though so I could well be wrong.

When I was working at LCC I was discussing some proposals for remedial measures with the County Surveyor - I wanted to put shellgrip on a bend where there were a number of accidents and he wasn't a fan of it. He reckoned that powerful cars with wide, low profile tyres put as much stress into the road surface as trucks with air suspension. It was measurable apparently.

I got the shellgrip laid :thumbup: but we agreed it would be the grey stuff and not the khaki coloured version.
The only issue with shellgrip (or equivalent) is that it has a life measured in seconds. :(

(I exaggerate obviously).
non quod, sed quomodo