Number plate screws (car)

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Supermofo

Number plate screws (car)

Post by Supermofo »

Noticed my rear number plate was lose this morning when coming back from a walk. Took the screw out and although it had a plastic head looks like it's metal and is rusty. Moved the plate a bit and looks like the dealer has just drilled some self tappers into the steel boot :evil: The hole is also starting to rust. :evil: :evil:

Looks like a previous plate (new from Mazda I'd guess) was stuck on but dealer I got the car off has obviously put theirs on and decided to drill the boot. Poor show for a Mazda main dealer.

What are my best options as obviously don't want it to rust the boot. Can I replace with nylon screws? Use sticky pads? Not sure what to do with the holes. First thought was clean it up and ACF50 it then use nylon screws but didn't know if that'd work.

Feel like calling the dealer and calling em bad words
Dodgy69

Re: Number plate screws (car)

Post by Dodgy69 »

I replaced my rear plate on my car and fixed with proper number plate sticky pads, much easier. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Is the dealer close by? If so, drop in ask what they recommend (presumably the plate has their name on it)

Otherwise,:
Sort the boot panel
Use sticky pads
Glue plastic screw heads over the holes
?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Horse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:19 pm Is the dealer close by? If so, drop in ask what they recommend (presumably the plate has their name on it)
Not close that close, but I bought the car as the 2nd owner from a Mazda main dealer. It's still under warranty.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Sorting it sounds like a lot of hard work, just set it on fire and claim on the insurance.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'm tempted to email the dealer pics and say, 'what have you done here'.

They are gonna love me, they only had the car last week as the door lock needed replacing under warranty.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:51 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:19 pm Is the dealer close by? If so, drop in ask what they recommend (presumably the plate has their name on it)
Not close that close, but I bought the car as the 2nd owner from a Mazda main dealer. It's still under warranty.
Then let them sort it. If there are holes which are rusting, that may well fall under any anti-perforation cover in the warranty.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I think as a starter I'm going to email them and see what they say and go from there thinking about it, if they fob me off im in now worse position
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Mine is just the same - used stainless self tappers which are an eyesore. I'm just going to take them out and use sticky pads which work very well for me.

Having said that, I bought the car in March so it's obviously not been bothering me that much......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75.
Skub

Post by Skub »

What offends my eye,is the amount of new cars out there that folk paid good money for and the dealer can't even put on a numberplate straight.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Even more miffed now, just taken a look and further in are manufacturer threaded number plate screw holes :evil: So it's obvious that rather than do the difficult bit of drilling the plate in the right place they've just lined it up on the car and drilled new holes in the boot.