Mitas Touring Force... Anybody used them?

Anything you like about motorbikes
mboy

Mitas Touring Force... Anybody used them?

Post by mboy »

Yes, I know, a tyre thread... Sorry! I'll slap my own wrists, don't worry.

But... Has anybody used the Mitas Touring Force Tyres?

I can't find a single review online, and it's not like the were only released yesterday. They've been available to buy in the UK for probably a year or so now, so somebody has to have ridden them...

I know Mitas isn't the 1st name you think of for road motorbike tyres, but for offroad they're right up there, and they're huge in the agricultural tyre market! I guess a bit like Maxxis/CST, who are huge in cycling and off road motorbikes and growing fast in the car markets, there's a level of snobbery being applied which keeps people from trying them perhaps.

Be good to hear any feedback...
mboy

Re: Mitas Touring Force... Anybody used them?

Post by mboy »

Resurrecting an old thread as I’m desperately in need of tyres for my SuperDuke GT and have heard good things about these from a number of European based SDGT riders on the KTM Facebook groups…

Anybody with any experience on the UK roads?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

mboy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 pm I guess a bit like Maxxis/CST, who are huge in cycling and off road motorbikes and growing fast in the car markets, there's a level of snobbery being applied which keeps people from trying them perhaps.
Can't help you with the Mitas, but it's not snobbery that stops me from using Maxis / CST, it's experience!

I had one fitted at a dealers (all they had in stock) after a puncture I couldn't fix. It cost more than the Conti's I usually use, it steered like it was flat from day one, it slithered around on wet roads, in 1000 miles it was half-worn (on a 600 Hornet which I was using for instructing and on which my Conti's normally last 8k or more!) and at when inspecting the (lack of) tread depth I also noticed that the tread was splitting and beginning to delaminate. At that point, it went in the bin.

I COULD have been unlucky, but I have only ever had one other faulty tyre.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:59 pm I have only ever had one other faulty tyre.
[Derail]
I have had two tyres (Dunlop and Bridgestone) suffer the same fault - an inclusion in the mould, like a lump of coal. Both only became obvious when after a few miles when the thin layer that had been covering them wore away.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've had 2 Avons delaminate. Put me off Avons ever again
mboy

Post by mboy »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:23 pm I've had 2 Avons delaminate. Put me off Avons ever again
I've had 2 bikes come on Avon Storm 3D-XM's... Both were significantly improved by replacing with Michelin PR2's! Really didn't get on with the Avon's, zero confidence. The Blackbird owners seem to love them cos they last ages and have a hard centre... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Stopped by my KTM dealer today, they were quick to point out the new 1290 Super Adventure comes on Mitas Terra Force (90:10 type usage) and they have been very well received all round so far.
The Spin Doctor

mboy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:58 pm
Supermofo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:23 pm I've had 2 Avons delaminate. Put me off Avons ever again
I've had 2 bikes come on Avon Storm 3D-XM's... Both were significantly improved by replacing with Michelin PR2's! Really didn't get on with the Avon's, zero confidence. The Blackbird owners seem to love them cos they last ages and have a hard centre... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Stopped by my KTM dealer today, they were quick to point out the new 1290 Super Adventure comes on Mitas Terra Force (90:10 type usage) and they have been very well received all round so far.

Worth remembering that OE tyres (except in some special circumstances like the original Hayabusa) are often cheaper versions of the aftermarket tyre. The Dunlops that my XJ6 came on wore out in under 5k - I discovered after I'd switched to my fav Contis that the OE Roadsmarts were single compound, the aftermarket ones had the much publicised dual compound.

I always thought that a bit odd from the tyre company's point of view. If the tyres don't perform well on a new machine, people likely won't buy the same make again.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Have you ever bought a brand new printer, there's a very good chance the ink/toner that shipped with it only had half the capacity of the manufacture supplied replacements. It's a strange way of doing things, but it's got to be down to cost.
The Spin Doctor

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:56 pm Have you ever bought a brand new printer, there's a very good chance the ink/toner that shipped with it only had half the capacity of the manufacture supplied replacements. It's a strange way of doing things, but it's got to be down to cost.
Yes, but you're not exactly poring over a catalogue of 'performance' cartridges after purchasing a printer, and wondering which one will allow your printer to print a bit faster or at a funny lean angle ;)

Usually the first thing people do with a new bike (apart from crash it) is change the tyres. Actually they do that after they crashed it too, as it was clearly the tyres' fault. :)
mboy

Post by mboy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:51 pm Worth remembering that OE tyres (except in some special circumstances like the original Hayabusa) are often cheaper versions of the aftermarket tyre. The Dunlops that my XJ6 came on wore out in under 5k - I discovered after I'd switched to my fav Contis that the OE Roadsmarts were single compound, the aftermarket ones had the much publicised dual compound.

I always thought that a bit odd from the tyre company's point of view. If the tyres don't perform well on a new machine, people likely won't buy the same make again.
Yeah it's pretty common practice for some brands, mostly Japanese... iirc KTM made a big thing about the tyres they fit OEM to their bikes being the same spec as aftermarket... I've always liked Dunlops, but I know a lot of people wouldn't touch them with a bargepole based on some OEM D214's that they've had come on a new Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha from new...

Anyway... Couldn't get Road 5's for love nor money, so went with the Mitas in the end... The price I've paid, if they're no good, I'll whip em off after 1000 miles and replace with some Road 5's when I can get hold of them. Got them on the bike this evening, been out for a bit of a ride so far (albeit wearing jeans and starting to get dark), they feel alright. They do seem like they take a bit more scrubbing in than a Michelin mind, but they definitely seem a bit keener to turn than the Angel GT's that they have replaced (when the Angel's were new, not comparing them to worn out tyres!). Off up north for 3 days riding on Monday, they'll get a bit of use up in the Yorkshire Dales on Tuesday and Wednesday for sure... 👍🏻