What have you done to your bicycle today ?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
mboy

Re: What have you done to your bicycle today ?

Post by mboy »

So yesterday I finally fitted a load of parts I had bought for my road bike (compact rings, 11-32 cassette, winter wheels and tyres, new bars, bar tape, saddle etc.)...

And today... I only went and rode it! 🤯

https://www.strava.com/activities/10835358333#_=_

It was over 18 months since I last rode a bike more than up and down the street outside my house! I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but gotta start somewhere I suppose...
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Happy new pedals day! Well it was yesterday, but, my new TIME XC6’s turned up to replace the broken XC8’s on the road bike. A little bit heavier and all the way from the states courtesy of Amazon US with free delivery BUT they were the o my people with either X6’s or 8’s at a sensible price.

New
IMG_1287.jpeg
IMG_1287.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 198 times
Old (spot the defect)
IMG_1286.jpeg
IMG_1286.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 198 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Today, I redid my bike front tyre with some decent tubeless tape. I am now hoping that it doesn't deflate over days, that became minutes , like the last time
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Straightened the front disc and after this afternoons ride, had to fit new rear pads as is sounded like one had delaminated (cant remember last time I changed them). One had!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I put some old man's handlebars on the Roadrat - flat bars are just a bit to "young". It now has a set of On-One OGs on it
Though I do have some Geoffs that could go on, with the lovely "the Wolves made me do it" inscription on the front
MingtheMerciless

New lower headset bearing in the Epocalypse as the original was getting graunchy.

Top bearing was fine, but both lubed with @millemille ”super grease”.
IMG_1386.jpeg
IMG_1386.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 146 times
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
millemille

Post by millemille »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm New lower headset bearing in the Epocalypse as the original was getting graunchy.

IMG_1386.jpeg
How are you and the others (@weeksy?) getting on with the Fuchs grease? Seen any improvement in bearing life?
MingtheMerciless

Time will tell, but Curtis BB is lubed with it and that's lasting well so far. Also packed my Time pedals on the Curtis and Epic with it and no creaks from the bushings so far.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

millemille wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:39 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm New lower headset bearing in the Epocalypse as the original was getting graunchy.

IMG_1386.jpeg
How are you and the others (@weeksy?) getting on with the Fuchs grease? Seen any improvement in bearing life?
I probably need to buy some
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:39 pm

IMG_1386.jpeg
I can't in truth say fella, the trek has been somewhat hard work over winter, but i don't think your grease has made anything better/worse that you'd be able to tell. I don't think many of your filled bearings are still on the bike any more. But again, i don't think that's the fault of the grease either way. The Trek gets hammered/washed/hammered/washed and in the worst possible conditions, then dragged on an uplift and repeat...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Frustrating one today. Was doing a Zwift ride at lunch and recently the bike developed a click. Seemed to be what you'd expect with a BB.

Increasing in speed at the pedalling speeds up etc. However, when out of the saddle it wasn't there (i think)

So suggestions sent me to seatpost, so post out, cleaned greased, checked everything. Still there...
Saddle off... cleaned it all..... Still there.

Put a new Bottom Bracket on.... STILL there !!!! ARRRGGHHHH

Dragged one of the other bikes off and wheel off it, then have to change the adapters on the Turbo and check that.... Silence... Nice... so it's deffo the bike.

OK, so onto the chainring bolts... all removed, cleaned greased, replaced..... STILL there..

I was then torn between pedals and chain...

I chose the pedals first and swapped them.... SILENCE !!!! Finally.

I think it was just sweat/corrosion on the contact points/threads rather than a bearing issue on the pedal, but happily it's now gone and sweet !!!
SSS

Post by SSS »

This must be failed pedals week. Here is mine yesterday - happened 1/3rd into a ride at Dunkeld. Pedal straight off the spindle (failed bearings).
It didnt even give any warning it was going to happen - as its a common problem on eggbeaters - and i would have fixed beforehand.

Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

mboy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:48 pm
And today... I only went and rode it! 🤯

https://www.strava.com/activities/10835358333#_=_

It was over 18 months since I last rode a bike more than up and down the street outside my house! I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but gotta start somewhere I suppose...
Condor bikes always look classy. I've got a very under-used orange Fratello sitting in my loft, can only have done 1,000 miles since I bought it in 2017, most of those on the turbo.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

More yesterday than today, I removed the Bosch Performance Line CX gen 2 motor from my Trek Powerfly in prep for stripping and replacing the bearings. The motor hasn't been serviced in a couple of years and though I've not used it that much, the sandy soil of the Surrey Hills has clearly ravaged the internals leading to the crank practically seizing. I have my doubts on if the motor can be saved...
IMG_20240414_161442_009 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20240414_161442_009 (Medium).jpg (131.54 KiB) Viewed 70 times
IMG_20240414_160313_382 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20240414_160313_382 (Medium).jpg (138.5 KiB) Viewed 70 times
IMG_20240414_155406_508 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20240414_155406_508 (Medium).jpg (127.63 KiB) Viewed 70 times
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You doing it yourself @Beancounter ?
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:32 pm You doing it yourself @Beancounter ?
Going to try to. Seems that I might need to invest in a hydraulic bearing press and possibly a decent large bench vice.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Not worth just sending to ebikemotorcenter ?
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:10 pm Not worth just sending to ebikemotorcenter ?
Probably but I like the idea of being able to do it myself. The last time I needed work done to the ebike it was a PITA finding anyone local-ish to help - I ended up going 40 miles from home. This is likely to be one of those jobs that I start and quickly regret.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

They're not local to you i'll admit... but there's a thing called Couriers and postal services ;)

I'm curious as to how you get on and what you find though. My Orbeas are Shimano motors so 'non-servicable' and i kinda accept that one day they'll die... i just hope it's 1 week before the warranty expires and get replaced :D
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:02 pm They're not local to you i'll admit... but there's a thing called Couriers and postal services ;)

I'm curious as to how you get on and what you find though. My Orbeas are Shimano motors so 'non-servicable' and i kinda accept that one day they'll die... i just hope it's 1 week before the warranty expires and get replaced :D
Yeah, if I was using my bike regularly then I'd ask the shop mechanic to deal with it but given I ride infrequently it's (a) slightly harder to justify the expense and (b) I have the time as well as a mate with a hydraulic press. I also do feel the motor is so far beyond repair that I'm unlikely to make matters worse (famous last words).

To be fair to my bike, it gets abused. Ridden infrequently, chucked in the back of the car after the ride and if lucky it gets washed when I get home but more often than not it won't be washed for a few days which by then the sandy water has done its damage.