What have you done to your bicycle today ?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What have you done to your bicycle today ?

Post by weeksy »

I've spent months with a horrible sounding turbo trainer, clunk, grind, grauch. Even when I bought the new trainer, Zwift Hub, still horrible.
I ended up thinking it was a mech issue, then I noticed the hanger thread was mullered. So ordered a new hanger, still same.
Ended up putting a new chain on it, absolutely silent.

Then almost puked in Zwift race.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Attempted to fit new bling chain ring. The new spider fouls the Evil's chainstay, I'm hoping that AB have sent the non boost spider, 50mm vice 53mm for boost (despite what it says on the box). LBS are having a word with AB, it maybe that as the Evil has a super boost rear end (157mm) it may need a taller than boost spider.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Well AB now say that their spider and ring won't fit the Evil.☹️ Probably as its Super-boost. So today I got a new 203mm Ice tech Rotor (6 bolt) to fit to my Onyx/Nobl TR36 wheel so I could use it in the Evil, all installed and ready for tomorrows night ride.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I hate stupid standards.

If it makes you feel better I have 2 142*12 rears, 3 148*12 rears, the Trek is 157*12 !!!
MingtheMerciless

Assagi fitted to the front after last nights elbow and collar bone moment. Piner where be refitted to the Curtis once I get my Tr33/Nobl wheel back from LBS after boost converter fitted and wheel re-dished.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Made a slide out tray to make loading easier 😁

Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Been using my Levo ebike for the past month or two and the trek has ben ignored a bit. Mainly as I'd fitted some 170mm forks and ruined it for the place I ride the most. So today I swapped them for some new fox 160mm forks, I really do like the feel of these and they are in the spesh as standard. Also swapped the rear wheel out to make the trek a mullet. A quick spin round the block and it feels lovely, I do prefer the bosch motor delivery as although a bit noisier than the Levo it has more of a hit when full power is used. I'll ride the trails tomorrow and see how it feels there.
MingtheMerciless

The Trek Madone had a clicky pedal on the last few rides (its fitted with TIME Atac 8's, yes I know its a MTB pedal and breaks Rule 34 but I like em and it means I can use all my cycling shoes on all my bikes). Dropped the pedal off, spindle removed, somehow I located the spares kit I had for them which contains a new bearing and IGUS bush (American company on eBay sells them). Bush driven out with the end of the right sized drill bit and new one fitted using the old as a drift. All greased up and new bearing fitted, good to go.

Bike still clicks. Probably BB bearing which means off to LBS as that's a carbon frame mounted bearing.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Broken it.....went out on the Curtis after the LBS had fitted the boost spindle and redished the front wheel only for the front wheel to seize up, it's almost like the bearing preload collar has wound itself up. Wheel back to LBS tomorrow.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:22 pm Broken it.....went out on the Curtis after the LBS had fitted the boost spindle and redished the front wheel only for the front wheel to seize up, it's almost like the bearing preload collar has wound itself up. Wheel back to LBS tomorrow.
And people wonder why LBS are disappearing!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mmmm indeed. I'll be curious to know the answer here.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:56 pm Mmmm indeed. I'll be curious to know the answer here.
I would like to find a wheel building course
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Replaced the brake pads in the back of the privateer for Uberbike e-MTB ones. In Morzine the race ones were fading / squealing like a bastard - and cooking the rear disc.
New bars to replace the battle scarred ones - don’t really trust gouged alloy!
Fitted a carbon Rockguardz to the Trek
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:27 pm
I would like to find a wheel building course
It's fairly straightforward. I found Jobst Brant's The Bicycle Wheel in my local library back in the 80's and learnt from that, I think the book is still available. If you want a good online tutorial have a look at Sheldon Brown. A few basic tools to start with and off you go.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Couchy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:23 pm Been using my Levo ebike for the past month or two and the trek has ben ignored a bit. Mainly as I'd fitted some 170mm forks and ruined it for the place I ride the most. So today I swapped them for some new fox 160mm forks, I really do like the feel of these and they are in the spesh as standard. Also swapped the rear wheel out to make the trek a mullet. A quick spin round the block and it feels lovely, I do prefer the bosch motor delivery as although a bit noisier than the Levo it has more of a hit when full power is used. I'll ride the trails tomorrow and see how it feels there.
So hit my local trail centre on the trek mullet, just t-shirt and shorts for a sensible ride. On the red route I matched my best time with no effort. It rides superbly, on a par with the Levo so I’m very happy 😃

MingtheMerciless

Tried out the Assagi front and Michelin E wild rear today on the Evil. Stole a KOM off the LBS owner and equalled two PB's on other segments. Sat in the pub beer garden till 2130 and still warm. Boost and 3 pints may have been used to get me the 5 miles and 700ft of climbing home in 17 minutes.😂
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:56 pm Mmmm indeed. I'll be curious to know the answer here.
Dropped the wheel off at the LBS today, they had a look and somehow the preload collar has wound itself up "Harrier" tight. No idea why, if anything the collar should loosen itself off with riding. Numerous tools sacrificed trying to undo it to no avail. They are wondering if a bearing has self destructed but they all felt fine when they re-spindled it. I left the wheel with them, they think the collar may have be sacrificed to get the hub apart.

In other news the I9 wheels for the Evil are back. The back wheel has had all its spokes and nipples replaced (by the shop after the wheels went all the way to Spain and back as it was quicker for the EU importer to send the wheels back with new spokes and nipples to be fitted by the LBS than them do it???). I have been given a pair of trail gloves by the EU importer as an apology.
Last edited by MingtheMerciless on Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

Did a quick service on the forks (Yari) on the G170 as one was leaking a bit. New wiper seals,foam rings and oil and they're much much nicer.
MingtheMerciless

Serviced my One Up dropper after it unscrewed itself yesterday and ejected one of its keys into the grass. Nice easy to follow One Up service guide, no special tools and job done relatively easily.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

So front wheel is fixed, eventually they managed to unscrew the super tightened preload collar by fitting a spare front axle and putting the axle in a vice. They took the preload collar off and apart from tool marks from unscrewing attempts it was fine. Looking at the hub internals they found a perfectly flared tiny lip in it, less than 0.1mm they think, caused by something unknown, but this was just enough to catch the preload collar and tighten it up as the bike rolled. The preload collar should sit in the hub and is a close but shouldn't catch fit.

Bearings checked all ok and they've deburred/smoothed out the lip, reassembled the wheel, fitted a new preload collar and have no idea what caused this lip to form, they've never seen it before and they've built hundreds of Nobl/Onyx hubbed wheels.

Apparently the cause according to one of the Mechanics was "It's Ming, he always does things like this"
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."