What have you done to your bicycle today ?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What have you done to your bicycle today ?

Post by weeksy »

I'm expecting "went to hit this 30' gap over a canyon"
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:51 pm I'm expecting "went to hit this 30' gap over a canyon"
:lol: On one of our yomps around France we were clambering down this near vertical, rocky gully and realised there were VTT signs on it. Wife says, 'Wots VTT?' I explained and then we both said ' :angry-cussingblack: you'd have to be stark staring bonkers to try and ride a bike down that!' :D
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

What's VVT. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:05 pm What's VVT. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's French for Mountain Bike / MTB.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:51 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:01 pm Later - just dealing with a wrist injury - broken or maybe just ligaments
Sitting is restaurant with a bag of frozen carrots on it!
Scaphoid? as per your strava? How did it happen?
I hit the ground when I didn’t mean to !
Last track of the day back to supermorzine. Front wheel hit a rock and low sided me. Right bar twatted my thigh. Bars twisted round forcing my left wrist to over rotate. Thought it was just ligaments to start with. But the receptionist at the hotel said “scaphoid”. Who needs medical school !!
Kudos for me that I managed to ride another 900 m to lift - with some hard braking!!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:49 am
MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:51 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:01 pm Later - just dealing with a wrist injury - broken or maybe just ligaments
Sitting is restaurant with a bag of frozen carrots on it!
Scaphoid? as per your strava? How did it happen?
I hit the ground when I didn’t mean to !
Last track of the day back to supermorzine. Front wheel hit a rock and low sided me. Right bar twatted my thigh. Bars twisted round forcing my left wrist to over rotate. Thought it was just ligaments to start with. But the receptionist at the hotel said “scaphoid”. Who needs medical school !!
Kudos for me that I managed to ride another 900 m to lift - with some hard braking!!
Eek. Did you get confirmation at the med centre ??!

Gutted for you :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Be nice to it as otherwise you get a painful (well the bone graft site was) Ti upgrade.
IMG_3561.jpeg
IMG_3561.jpeg (127.81 KiB) Viewed 288 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I post pictures later. I have a serious bit of French plastercasting on my left hand !
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:34 pm I post pictures later. I have a serious bit of French plastercasting on my left hand !
That's one hell of a pin!!!

Hope they are being nice to you. I do rate French healthcare in general and the surgeons in the sports areas pretty highly! They get a shit ton of practice all year round!!

Speedy recovery :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:52 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:34 pm I post pictures later. I have a serious bit of French plastercasting on my left hand !

Hope they are being nice to you. I do rate French healthcare in general and the surgeons in the sports areas pretty highly! They get a shit ton of practice all year round!!

That pin is Ming's They'll probably give Moofo a G-clamp. :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:07 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:52 pm

That pin is Ming's They'll probably give Moofo a G-clamp. :D
Oops! Not concentrating :( :( Either way, the rest of the post stands!!

And it's still a serious pin for a hand!! LOL
MingtheMerciless

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_screw

Up until it was invented if you had a scaphoid that wouldn’t heal your wrist was pretty much permanently fooked.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:23 pm Be nice to it as otherwise you get a painful (well the bone graft site was) Ti upgrade.

IMG_3561.jpeg
That kind of scares me!
How will I know if I need it pinned?
MingtheMerciless

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:37 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:23 pm Be nice to it as otherwise you get a painful (well the bone graft site was) Ti upgrade.

IMG_3561.jpeg
That kind of scares me!
It won’t heal. So I hit a tree at the Big Dog in August years ago, went to St John’s who said it probably a sprain so I did another 3 laps at race pace. Went to Eastbourne Death and Grievous Harm the next day, x rayed and told it was a sprain by the Sunday Boy and to carry on using it with a mild support and MTFU, 3 weeks of driving, manual work and carrying heavy shit it was still very painful (weirdly opening jars was the killer).

Went back to the DGH and re xrayed, saw a consultant this time who said oh your scaphoid is broken, takes up to 2 weeks to show healing lines on the break as the bone has a really bad blood supply. If you’d seen me (rather than the Sunday boy) I’d have put you in plaster for two weeks as a precaution……….thank you NHS.

So I was left with a wrist support and monthly checks ups. Come October it was still fooked, saw consultant who looked at the X-ray and then asked how it was, when I pointed out it was no better than day one he looked again and decided the bone had died and I needed an op. I laid on it was affecting my job/employer and needed it sorting so was operated on in December.

Definitely seems to be two schools of thought, plaster it up and let it heal but maybe have range of motion issues or use a minimal support and no exerting that hand and keep range of motion but gamble that it won’t heal resulting in bone graft and screw 4 months later. Or if I’m the US just get it screwed ASAP.

So don’t do anything to upset it and it should heal OK, do not treat it as a sprain and try to carry on using it for everyday stuff (like I was told too).
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:38 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:37 pm

IMG_3561.jpeg
That kind of scares me!
It won’t heal. So I hit a tree at the Big Dog in August years ago, went to St John’s who said it probably a sprain so I did another 3 laps at race pace. Went to Eastbourne Death and Grievous Harm the next day, x rayed and told it was a sprain by the Sunday Boy and to carry on using it with a mild support and MTFU, 3 weeks of driving, manual work and carrying heavy shit it was still very painful (weirdly opening jars was the killer).

Went back to the DGH and re xrayed, saw a consultant this time who said oh your scaphoid is broken, takes up to 2 weeks to show healing lines on the break as the bone has a really bad blood supply. If you’d seen me (rather than the Sunday boy) I’d have put you in plaster for two weeks as a precaution……….thank you NHS.

So I was left with a wrist support and monthly checks ups. Come October it was still fooked, saw consultant who looked at the X-ray and then asked how it was, when I pointed out it was no better than day one he looked again and decided the bone had died and I needed an op. I laid on it was affecting my job/employer and needed it sorting so was operated on in December.

Definitely seems to be two schools of thought, plaster it up and let it heal but maybe have range of motion issues or use a minimal support and no exerting that hand and keep range of motion but gamble that it won’t heal resulting in bone graft and screw 4 months later. Or if I’m the US just get it screwed ASAP.

So don’t do anything to upset it and it should heal OK, do not treat it as a sprain and try to carry on using it for everyday stuff (like I was told too).
I am in plaster from elbow to hand. Like they used to do in the '70s!
I was going to treat it a ligament damage - but thought I would use my health insurance in France rather that the UK - as they were probably more aware of the issues.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

they generally do that for 7-12 days, when back in UK, i'd go get seen after a week or so and they'll change to a newer smaller style cast i'd say.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Damage to bike - not quite sure how

Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Well, nothing quite as exciting as some of you boys, but for the first time in my 59&3/4 years I've had to change a derailleur cable.
Pulled the cable taut, nipped up the clamp and we have 8 well indexed and easily selectable gears. I suppose after 18 years it was due to be replaced anyhow!
MingtheMerciless

IMG_0008.jpeg
IMG_0008.jpeg (458.36 KiB) Viewed 147 times
IMG_0009.jpeg
IMG_0009.jpeg (494.31 KiB) Viewed 147 times
New charging port turned up for the Evil along with the proper Shimano lock ring tool for the chain ring. Although it looks similar to the pattern tool it just fits so much better and there’s none of that will it, won’t it slip off the lock ring as you’re tightening or loosening it (reverse thread as well).
Last edited by MingtheMerciless on Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_0010.jpeg (611.42 KiB) Viewed 147 times
IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0011.jpeg (562.3 KiB) Viewed 147 times
IMG_0012.jpeg
IMG_0012.jpeg (597.82 KiB) Viewed 147 times
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."