Telemtry for the masses, the next big thing ?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Telemtry for the masses, the next big thing ?

Post by weeksy »

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/byb-telem ... ystem.html

i'm of course an advocate of technology and the Shockwiz being top of that list.

But another company is bringing in a whole new level..

But potentially that's getting back to the argument we've had about manual non-assisted motorbikes being more enjoyable vs the modern tech bikes with rider assists like Traction, ABS etc.

I'm guessing in years to come the digital side of MTB will become more and more significant.
G.P

Re: Telemtry for the masses, the next big thing ?

Post by G.P »

All its doing is giving you information though, using that information to improve how you ride is the value.
There's millions of cyclists out there who will buy it because its the latest thing - it falls into the same category as toys for Motorcycles..
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

In a similar vein, I had a thought while out recently and I'm interested to know if anyone else thinks it would be worthwhile...

2 parts really

Part 1, Alongside all the normal stuff your phone displays while you ride, speed, time etc. I'd also like to know what speed I was doing on that particular section 'last time' and also my best speed along that section. All displayed as live data.

Part 2, sensors in your pedals and on your gears so that you can see how much pressure / effort you are putting in and what gear you are in. Working together with part 1, I think it would make tracking your improvements a lot easier.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Part 1 - doesn't some of the GPS units (I'm thinking Garmin) already do that with their link up to live segments on Strava?

Part 2 - I wonder if this one is harder both due to our individual variances (differences in muscle makeup that means my cadence and preferred 'effort' is different to yours etc) plus environmental factors - I imagine all this sort of data is easier when you're on something like a Wattbike in a relatively controlled environment.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

chutzpah wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 am Part 1 - doesn't some of the GPS units (I'm thinking Garmin) already do that with their link up to live segments on Strava?

Part 2 - I wonder if this one is harder both due to our individual variances (differences in muscle makeup that means my cadence and preferred 'effort' is different to yours etc) plus environmental factors - I imagine all this sort of data is easier when you're on something like a Wattbike in a relatively controlled environment.
RE Part 2, I was thinking about being able to compare your individual effort against your 'last/best' effort ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

A power meter on the pedals won't tell you what gear you were in, but it will obviously tell you the power. The only thing that will define the gear is the rpm which you could also get from a cadence meter. So in theory between the 2 you could know whether you were in the same gear or not for a particular section.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

I could see how you could start to get electronic shifting to record data such as that, how useful it would really be I'm not convinced. For a time trial you're probably more just worried about current power and speed. For a race, tactics will come in much more. For a day to day hobbyist, simply not dying right now :lol:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Electronic shifts *do* transmit the current gear to bike computers. I noticed an option to select that on the Wahoo Bolt I bought recently, wondering hopefully if it could work it out from inputting the gearing and measuring against cadence and speed. But it can't :) It only works with those fancy electronic shifters.