The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:57 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:09 pm 14 days is arguably a bit short for a fractured bone, but it was minimal so the boy was back today.

ImageIMG_20230709_125507 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

As usual, he looked fast, certainly compared to me, but that's not necessarily that challenging, especially to him. Lol.

He seems happy though and isn't in pain.

He was moaning (mentioning is more like the actual reality)about the Codes, so I picked up some code RSC from chain reaction which will match his Fury (and the Demo when it arrives) so they'll go on once they arrive from CRC.
and I thought the roof didn't need to use brakes!
I thought they were just for the old man ...
Yeah it's a decent point 😂

But he likes what he likes and despite the lack of budget, if he wants it, he gets it.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

( just tell him what’s is fitted are Code RSCs - but development samples …)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ImageIMG_20230711_084019 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Brakes removed and the old Codes put into spares. The RSCs arrive today and will be going on later after work. He can then dial them in tomorrow at FoD for his coaching session.

We're in the process of booking Antur Stiniog for later this month if the weather plays ball, he's got a race there later in the year for Nationals and we've never been, so a day on the track will be useful.

This weekend if Southern Enduro, QECP. Should be ace and fun... well, for him. I can't really justify/afford the £50 extra for myself to race, even though i do think it'd be a blast and there's a decent field in my Cat... But i'll go out locally on Sat with mates anyway for a ride. :) It's a shame for sure and if i were 100% serious about racing, i'd arguably find it somewhere, but the reality is, i'm not great :D

No issues with the hand after his days riding, so he's happy and ready to get back racing. I think it'll take a little bit of time for him to get speed back, especially not being on the DH bike... but hopefully with a bit of wisdom from Katy on Weds, he'll get his mojo and be up to speed.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The boy was out at Staunton last night with Katy, Sam Copp and his team mate Drew. It was his first time there and he seemed to really enjoy it. Apparently some steep bits, some tech bits and lots of pedalling back up to tire him out.
Happily his hand was good and no pain either last night or this morning from it. So he's good to go racing at the weekend now. Sign off has been agreed from the bosses :)

So we're off to QECP for the Southern Enduro round and he'll be out giving it a whirl with his mates.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Today was back out racing. QECP with southern Enduro.
First big ride back since breaking hand 3 weeks ago at Dyfi.

For the first time in an Enduro he has a set of fairly clean stages, a few minor mistakes and line choices, lost a couple of seconds with a fallen rider, but mostly it went ok.

Finished the day with an 8th place which is by quite a lot his best finish in an Enduro.

We've been spending time trying to dial in the bouncers on the 141 and it seems he's getting happier with it now.

All in all, an excellent days racing and lots of fun

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yup, we're back out this weekend too. After the day at Silverstone today I'm a bit tired, but I've got a few days to get ready for pit duties all weekend. We're going up early to Rhyd Y Felin in Wales on Fri for track walk. He's ridden the Pearce track plenty but this will potentially be a different layout for the days.
It's the DH national champs so a jersey is on the line for some, but we're not going to win that's for sure. He's still a chunk away from those boys.
But just being at the national champs is an epic thing and despite the weather looking proper ropey, we're both looking forward to it.
It'll just be the Fury going to this one as the Demo isn't here yet.

Last time at the track he was 24/47 with roughly the same number at this one, I guess that's roughly his target. Although he's crashed both times here in the start arena lol, so just not crashing would be a bloody bonus!!!

Let the crazy begin
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Slightly disappointingly but not terribly, the Demo has been delayed by the shop, with an estimated date of 20th Sept now instead of mid-August. As i say, it's disappointing as we were hoping to have it for a few rides before winter but that's looking a bit less likely now for us. I did offer the boy a change of plan to either a Santa Cruz V10 or a Scott Gambler 920 but he wants to stick with the Demo. I'm more than happy with that as a plan.

I think for now we'll also keep the blue GT Fury in the garage as emergency spare, until the day comes and he either says "Nah, too small" or he simply doesn't get on with it. But i'm happy having a 2nd bike in the wings 'just in case'
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Where to begin with the weekend... I guess we'll start on Friday. We drove up to Rhyd-Y-Felin in great weather, stopped for some food, a sandwich and a coffee, just a relaxing jaunt up there really. Weather was nice. Stopped in at a bike shop on the way (more on that later).

Got to track, unloaded, set up gazebo and went on track walk, it's rough, rooty, rocky, steep, natural, loamy, grassy.. oh yeah jumpy too and wet. That about sums it up, but it's the National Championships so it really should be. It was then BBQ, beers, chatting in the paddock and saying hello to our riding mates and parents.. Awesome evening until about 10.30pm when it started raining... which continued from Fri night until Sun about 10am without really stopping, it was the fine mist type rain but with some bigger rains in there, every now and again you'd think "yay it's stopped", but not really.
ImageIMG_20230721_182903 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
All of this of course meant Sat practice was wetter than wet. ALL day... it was bike washing, new gloves, new goggles, bike washing, HotXbuns, bike washing, new kit... Just relentless. But the boy finished the day happy and having had fun. He'd been on his backside, about 10 times, but some people were getting that on every run :D

Beers, BBQ and an early night with a book...
Then the rain stopped.... then the wind came.... The gazebo was in danger of being never seen again... then the rain came, 2am, 3am, 4am, more rain, more wind.... 6.30 i got up and it wasn't too bad.
Sunday started with grey clouds and yeah, more drizzly rain
ImageIMG_20230723_081715 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The boy finished fettling the bike and off he went for practice
ImageIMG_20230722_082040 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The rain hadn't made things better, but not worse either.

Bike was cleaned, again, again, again.
ImageIMG_20230723_112814 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Seeing was at 11.50am for him... He came down 32/61 which wasn't bad, he'd made some mistakes but he wasn't too unhappy, felt he had more to give in the race.

That was about where the good bits end... The race runs were coming down and it had now been dry for 3+ hours, the track day gone from a mud fest to people coming down with almost clean kits and bikes, the tyres still had a tread.
Eventually i saw him come into sight and glance at the clock, 4mins 10, already 10s down on his seeding run, he finished with a 4mins 18s, for 50/55 finishers and being his usual weird self he was pretty up-beat about it.

"i learned some new lines" and "i caught this berm after the left right and it was epic". He knew after his first decent crash on the run his time was done, so mostly just got down trying different things at times. But somehow came away really happy.

I'm disappointed for him, but in honesty he's pretty cool about it all :)

Which bring us into "why did you stop at a bike shop?"

The answer to that is. To try a couple of DH bikes they had in stock. The Specialized Demo delivery date had slipped again, i was having doubts the thing would ever arrive so wanted to look into options for him.

We tried out a Scott Gambler but in his car-park and grassy paddock tests it felt a little unbalanced to him. With the front end feeling all of out kilter with the rear balance.
So we tried a Trek Session in an R2 (Large), it was awesome... well, he thought so, i thought the bars were too wide.. But we both had a play on it, a bit of ride and tried it out.
ImageIMG-20230721-WA0001 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

And yep as you guessed, we now own the Session. Just waiting for it to get delivered or collect next week.

I had a lot of chats with our mate at RSR Bikeworks who reassured me in terms of how the Trek 'feels' in comparison to the GT due to linkages and progression curves and he thinks the boy will get on with it really quickly.

It's coming to us in 29er form but with various flip-chips it's also 27.5 mullet compatible... so we'll try both and see what the lad prefers in terms of wheel sizing. I think he'll settle on the mullet myself, but i've been wrong before. It also comes with nice bits like X01 gearing, Boxxer Ultimate forks, Code RSC brakes all of which are higher spec than the Demo would have been.
There's no rush for him to race it, he can spend as long as he wants getting used to it, but of course, if he's faster on it, then he can race it in a few weeks at the next DH in Glencoe.

https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index.ph ... white.html

Eventually we got home, for curry and relaxing, before tomorrow morning i kick him out of bed and get him to start cleaning his bikes

ImageIMG_20230723_080608 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Now I'm going to go look at my bosses bike properly - he uses a Trek for teaching :)

Glad he's enjoying it even in rubbish weather, cos if he didn't it would make life quite difficult on weekends of bad weather!

Go James :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

7k 😯
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:11 pm7k 😯
no-one said this sport was cheap matey :D

It's a big boys game we're playing that's for sure.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

As per Keith Bontrager; "Strong, light, cheap, you can pick two"
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille

Post by millemille »

He's pulling some shapes there!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:39 pm He's pulling some shapes there!
It was slightly sketchy
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So we're onto this week now.

Last night was stripping the bike down and giving it a full check, new brake pads and a new gear cable was all that was needed at the moment. Plan for today is to get the Cushcore into the rear for Glencoe which comes up in 3 weeks time.

First up is Pontypool this weekend, testing on the new Session hopefully (or maybe driving up to collect it first) and a bit of time on the GT/Privateer back to back testing with the Session and maybe timing it to see how it goes. We've borrowed a 157x12 rear from our favourite mechanic at Rotec Cycles, so he can test back to back with mullet and full 29 on the Session.

After that it's straight to Minehead for the National Champs Enduro with Southern Enduro.... then it's off to Glencoe... It never ends.. lol.
crust

Post by crust »

I liked that ^ for the sheer insanity of it.

Pontypool, Minehead, Glencoe, new bike, different wheel sizes - splendid lunacy.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mrs M thought it was hilarious when I used to swap between my FS 26er and HT 29er. If I was jumping on the 26er for the first half dozen corners I'd be clipping trees on every apex and if I was jumping on the 29er I'd be running wide on every corner until I got my head in gear. She'd be following me laughing her head off as the ineptitude unfolded.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

crust wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:14 am I liked that ^ for the sheer insanity of it.

Pontypool, Minehead, Glencoe, new bike, different wheel sizes - splendid lunacy.
We can never be accused of not going all in.

I'm still waiting for my secondary spanner crew to turn up