The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by v8-powered »

I did fancy buying one or two, but the hysteria put me off and wasn't willing to pay over retail.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:59 pm Well it arrived. It seems to be all here, the box has all the paperwork, it runs like it probably should...not that you can really tell in 5 mins of observation!

Quite a lot chunkier than I expected. I dunno why, I just didn't expect a £240 watch to feel "Big". For no reason. :lol:
IIRC on yours the movement is 5.32mm thick, on the watch I replaced the crystal with the sapphire crystal it was pretty thick at 2.7mm (it had 200m rating) and alll that adds up, plus the back and a bit of clearance.
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:20 pm I did fancy buying one or two, but the hysteria put me off and wasn't willing to pay over retail.
You definitely shouldn't pay over retail, they're a fun watch at retail price, but not worth a premium unless you absolutely have to have it.

The price isn't bad though, I remember some time around 1990-ish paying about the same for a Tissot Wood Watch and a Seiko Kinetic.
I have my Seiko Kinetic with me, it's proper iconic, IIRC it's a Jorg Hysek design, cba going upstairs to take a picture, but it's one of these...

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Rockburner wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:19 pm
Potter wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:58 am It's like an addiction, that's four out of the set I've got now.
I want to get one of them, just haven't been up to London to pick one out for months, last time I went the Oxford Street shop didn't have any. The other Swatch shop in London, Covent Garden, was refusing to stock them because, iirc, the manager got punched out by a "customer" because they had run out of the variant he wanted.
I think it must have been the release day that was the cause of the near riots with the queues blocking up covent garden and street performers not being able to get on their pitches!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:10 pm
Potter wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:58 am It's like an addiction, that's four out of the set I've got now.
I want to get one of them, just haven't been up to London to pick one out for months, last time I went the Oxford Street shop didn't have any. The other Swatch shop in London, Covent Garden, was refusing to stock them because, iirc, the manager got punched out by a "customer" because they had run out of the variant he wanted.
I think it must have been the release day that was the cause of the near riots with the queues blocking up covent garden and street performers not being able to get on their pitches!
It’s mental. It’s not like they’re a limited edition, they’re just trickling them out. They aren’t very nice either.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:57 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:10 pm

It’s mental. It’s not like they’re a limited edition, they’re just trickling them out. They aren’t very nice either.

I'd say they're just taking the piss.

I saw this morning that Swatch are going to produce watches with Astro images embedded - there's a choice of half a dozen Hubble and JWST images to choose from. One of the images is my target for next week, the Eastern Veil nebula although I'm targeting just a part of it. I'm sure the Hubble image will be better than mine. :D

I doubt the watches will look good though, all the images would look way better in large format. Small, on a watch will look naff.

I'll find and post the link.

*Edit* Link: https://www.swatch.com/en-us/swatch-x-y ... gency.html
Last edited by Yambo on Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:07 am I've heard from a few people they're actually a bit shit and cheapo, even by the standards of their price point?

Do like the red one though :D
I went through a few weeks of wanting one - but none of the designs are actually that nice. A bit of research d=showed that the bio-ceramic casing was the usual swatch plastic (which eventually gets brittle and snaps at the lugs).
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't put that much thought into it, like most things these days I don't think these Swatches have been built to last a lifetime. Buy it, wear it for a bit, throw it away or leave it in a drawer, whatever, move on.

If you're spending twenty grand on a watch then it's probably something you'd want to keep, but these type of watches have always been fashion watches that you wear for a bit then move on. I had a Pop-Swatch as a teen, it was cool for a bit, then it stopped working and I put it in the trash, it never caused me to get angry about it.
I really don't get the angst.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:32 am I don't put that much thought into it, like most things these days I don't think these Swatches have been built to last a lifetime. Buy it, wear it for a bit, throw it away or leave it in a drawer, whatever, move on.

If you're spending twenty grand on a watch then it's probably something you'd want to keep, but these type of watches have always been fashion watches that you wear for a bit then move on. I had a Pop-Swatch as a teen, it was cool for a bit, then it stopped working and I put it in the trash, it never caused me to get angry about it.
I was only looking at them as something different for a daily wearer, if I could have picked one up at retail I would have been wearing one now. Certainly wouldn't be buying expecting Omega quality, it would be in the same league as a boggo Swatch to me.

I can remember having a Swatch back in the day, Turquoise Bay it was called from memory - I got some solvent cleaner on it at work and it turned in to a sticky turquoise blob on my wrist :lol:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:01 am
Potter wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:32 am I don't put that much thought into it, like most things these days I don't think these Swatches have been built to last a lifetime. Buy it, wear it for a bit, throw it away or leave it in a drawer, whatever, move on.

I was only looking at them as something different for a daily wearer, if I could have picked one up at retail I would have been wearing one now. Certainly wouldn't be buying expecting Omega quality, it would be in the same league as a boggo Swatch to me.

I can remember having a Swatch back in the day, Turquoise Bay it was called from memory - I got some solvent cleaner on it at work and it turned in to a sticky turquoise blob on my wrist :lol:
Similar here: I kinda wanted one as a "cheap toy Speedy-a-like" chrono to see if I actually liked having a chrono for daily wear (I wear dive-style watches exclusively at the moment). Yes - there's other cheap chrono style watches, but I like the Speedmaster details and I like Swatches.

I've had a few Swatches over the years, although I've always found them to be surprisingly reliable and comfortable. I recently had one of the Irony Chronos and it was pretty good (although they're more robust than the standard plastic models)
non quod, sed quomodo
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:06 am

Similar here: I kinda wanted one as a "cheap toy Speedy-a-like" chrono to see if I actually liked having a chrono for daily wear (I wear dive-style watches exclusively at the moment). Yes - there's other cheap chrono style watches, but I like the Speedmaster details and I like Swatches.

I've had a few Swatches over the years, although I've always found them to be surprisingly reliable and comfortable. I recently had one of the Irony Chronos and it was pretty good (although they're more robust than the standard plastic models)
I've recently sold my Speedy. It was a nice looking piece but I just didn't really gel with it, if I wear anything it's my Sub or Seamaster.
Daily wearer now is back to the old faithful Huawei smart watch with a Panerai face loaded :thumbup:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:06 am

What you want is one of these
https://timex.co.uk/products/q-timex-ch ... -tw2v42600
David

Post by David »

I have a Rotary Chronospeed....about £70 ten years ago. I used to have asios, but the straps always break. I baulked at the £70, but SWMBO'd insisted.
It has needed a couple of batteries, the "1" and part of the"12" bars have departed the scene,(I suspect at least one of those bars are the reason the stop watch / timer functions don't...but it still keeps moderately good time. Timers etc I have on the phone. I will dredge errant bars out next time I split it or a battery.
David

Post by David »

I also have Dad's 35year old Seiko that I won't wear as it looks not very waterproof....my watches stay on my wrist unless I am in bed.
If i put a new battery in it will work....

*Edit*....it has to be more than 40 years old....my Dad died in 1999...he remarried around the late 70's , very happily...the watch was a wedding present from my lovely step mom.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Talking of Timex, they have a good sale on at the moment.

Their Waterbury auto range is really nice for the money (I've got a few of the snoopy ones) and at the moment they have 30% off.

This GMT for £129

https://timex.co.uk/products/waterbury- ... -tw2v74000
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:39 am Talking of Timex, they have a good sale on at the moment.

Their Waterbury auto range is really nice for the money (I've got a few of the snoopy ones) and at the moment they have 30% off.

This GMT for £129

There were advertising a chronograph version of the Expedition North on Friendface it looked great, buts it's not in the sale!

Edit:

Found it...

https://timex.co.uk/products/expedition ... 4535&_ss=c
Last edited by KungFooBob on Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:39 am Talking of Timex, they have a good sale on at the moment.

This GMT for £129

I really like that, nice and simple.

What's the movement? I kinda guessed it's quartz at that price but you say automatic.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Last edited by Taipan on Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:47 am

This GMT for £129

I really like that, nice and simple.

What's the movement? I kinda guessed it's quartz at that price but you say automatic.
No it's an auto. Japanese made Miyota 21 jewel movement - pretty well thought of.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:21 am $20 million.:wtf: :sick:
No accounting for taste! I'd settle for a Richard Mille but that's just going too far.....