In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yambo

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yambo »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:14 pm But Remembrance Sunday is Sunday the 12th, or am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing something.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yambo wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:25 am
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:14 pm But Remembrance Sunday is Sunday the 12th, or am I missing something?

But you're not going to tell me what...?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:49 am Lol, nice political posturing, but I guarantee you this, you wouldn't dare stand with a Union flag whilst selling poppies, in your home country, on the route of this 'peaceful' march calling for a ceasefire, because you know what would happen to you.

Anyone (or anything) unfortunate enough to get in their way, with any view that doesn't align with theirs, will likely be in trouble, it doesn't matter if it's a statue or an old man selling poppies, this is going to be a glacier of violent hate pouring through the streets with a very short fuse.
Is your name Enoch, by any chance?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:05 am
Potter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:49 am Lol, nice political posturing, but I guarantee you this, you wouldn't dare stand with a Union flag whilst selling poppies, in your home country, on the route of this 'peaceful' march calling for a ceasefire, because you know what would happen to you.

Anyone (or anything) unfortunate enough to get in their way, with any view that doesn't align with theirs, will likely be in trouble, it doesn't matter if it's a statue or an old man selling poppies, this is going to be a glacier of violent hate pouring through the streets with a very short fuse.
Potter’s Glaciers of Violent Hate speech shall long be remembered.

Hitting old poppy sellers and vandalising war memorials is not a very persuasive “call for a ceasefire.”
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:04 am
Yambo wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:25 am

But you're not going to tell me what...?
If I must . . .

Armistice Day is 11th November, this year and every year since 1919. The term Remembrance Day (in the UK and Commonwealth, Veterans Day in the USA) is also used. 11th November 1918 is when the Armistice was signed to end hostilities between the Allies and Germany and the guns fell silent at 11 am on that day, hence the 2 minutes silence at 11 am.

Remembrance Sunday is a political and religious expedient, started during the Second World War to avoid disrupting the war machinery.

The planned marches/demonstrations are planned for Armistice Day.

Armistice Day/Remembrance Day is 11th November.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:05 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:49 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:28 pm

Because it's deliberately targeted at a national day of remembrance and the hijacking and disrupting the memorial ceremonies. It's incredibly disrespectful imo.
But the organisers of the ceasefire protest have specifically stated they are not intending to protest on Remembrance Sunday. Their protest is on the Saturday. So no disruption and no hijacking.
11/11 is Saturday, the day of their march. So yes, specifically targeted to be disruptive and disrespectful.

Anyone know who is actually behind organising it?
I am guessing that Hamas can have a ceasefire quite easily - they just need to release 400 hostages and turn in rapists and murderers
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

From the Telegraph yesterday
When I first heard the phrase “Queers for Palestine”, I assumed it was a joke, a meme dreamt up by some Right-wing wag on Reddit. There is surely no way actual gay people would cheer on a state infamous for its loathing of homosexuals.

For all their zaniness, surely not even purple-haired, post-gender activists would take to the streets, Pride flag in hand, to champion a country that would jail them, if they’re lucky, and bump them off if they’re not.

But it’s not a joke. These people are real. This is where wokeness has taken us – to a situation where the young of the West are throwing their lot in with a regime that would throw them from a top-floor given half a chance.

“Queers for Palestine” has become the source of much online mirth in recent weeks, following Hamas’s October 7 pogrom. And deservedly so. People have compared it to “Chickens for KFC”. I saw one comment on Instagram noting that if these people actually went to Palestine, especially Hamas-ruled Gaza, their pronouns would be “was / were”.

I feel tempted to say “it’s funny because it’s true”, but none of this is funny. Palestine has an atrocious record on LGBT rights. In 2021, the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles carried out a survey of 175 nations and their acceptance of gay and gender-non-conforming people.

Palestine was at number 130. Behind Yemen, Saudi Arabia and the Democratic Republic of Congo. The “Queers for Palestine” would literally be better off in the notoriously homophobic petro-Kingdom of Saudi Arabia than in their favourite victim nation.

Gay people face staggering levels of persecution in both Gaza and the West Bank. Jail and sometimes even death awaits those who commit the “sin” of carnal knowledge with a member of the same sex.

In 2016, Hamas executed one of their own top dogs, Mahmoud Ishtiwi, reportedly for sleeping with a man. Last year, 25-year-old Ahmad Abu Marhia, a gay man, was beheaded by thuggish homophobes in Hebron in the West Bank. Footage of this gruesome hate crime was uploaded to social media.

At the time of his death, Mr Abu Marhia was seeking asylum in… you guessed it, Israel. That might be because, where Palestine was at number 130 on UCLA’s list of gay-friendly states, Israel was at number 44.

Many gay Palestinians flee to Israel, usually to the famously flamboyant cities of Tel Aviv and Haifa. A few years ago, the Israeli gay-rights group Aguda estimated that around 2,000 LGBT people from Palestine live in Tel Aviv at any one time. The Jewish State gives them a haven from homophobia. It allows them to be their true selves. If they were to try that in Palestine, ridicule and violence would be their lot.

It’s fine to make fun of “Queers for Palestine”. But let us take a moment to reflect on how rank it is that these privileged Westerners dream of erasing the one nation to which LGBT Palestinians can flee for safety and liberty.

It is grotesque that in New York, London and Berlin, young gay people who enjoy every right known to man are singing the praises of a nation that would happily persecute them, and damning a nation in which they could live freely and happily. “Queers for Palestine” is condemning “Queers in Palestine” to further torment and tyranny.

For if these virtue-signallers were to get their way, and the only thing that existed between “the river and the sea” was Palestine, Palestinian homosexuals would suffer unimaginably. The removal of Israel and the emboldening of Hamas would make life intolerable, unlivable in fact, for gay Palestinians. With friends like this, who needs homophobic oppressors?

This is what happens when advertising one’s virtue takes precedence over thinking carefully about other people’s needs; when the narcissistic needs of spoiled Westerners are accorded more importance than the rights of faraway peoples. All that matters in the self-regarding moral universe of “Queers for Palestine” is the warm glow experienced by those who march behind that deranged banner. Actual Palestinians – gay, straight, whatever – are little more than bit-part players in the self-promoting morality plays of well-off Westerners keen to advertise their decency to the world.

Front Page Newsletter
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Even more impressive
https://cf.eip.telegraph.co.uk/store/vi ... esktop.mp4

They haven't bothered to try and understand what they are protesting about - but will protest anyway.
I guess because it is cool ...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Wonder what Benjamin Netanyahu will think of our marches. 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:52 am Wonder what Benjamin Netanyahu will think of our marches. 🤔
As a good filming and intelligence gathering exercise, I guess
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:19 am

Hitting old poppy sellers and vandalising war memorials is not a very persuasive “call for a ceasefire.”
To the best of my knowledge "Hitting old poppy sellers and vandalising war memorials" is merely a product of Potter's overwrought brain and is firmly in the realms of fiction, for the present at least. Or are we already trying to mythologise a post on a motorbike forum?
irie

Post by irie »

Evidently.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:59 am
JackyJoll wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:19 am

To the best of my knowledge "Hitting old poppy sellers and vandalising war memorials" is merely a product of Potter's overwrought brain and is firmly in the realms of fiction, for the present at least. Or are we already trying to mythologise a post on a motorbike forum?
POtter isn't making stuff up. Its even on the news agencies. The poppy sellers at, I think, Liverpool St station was filmed and reported on and there has been plenty about poppy wreaths thrown off of memorials and replaced with Palestine flags. Even with our selective reporting, you can find the evidence of such actions. If you use twitter/X just try the hashtags #defendthecenotaph and #Palestineflag #palestinemarch etc

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

A colleague of mine is a bit of a geeeeezah. Big West Ham fan. He's shown me some of the Whatsapp messages doing the rounds at present, organising meeting points, etc, for various football 'fans' to meet up in London on Saturday.

Might turn a bit tasty. S'all I'm saying.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

It's a free country - people can protest about what they want. Slightly amusing that some of us are only happy about the free speech we agree with. As an example, GBNews should be wrestling with this hypocrisy in their own editorial on a daily basis - but they seem totally oblivious.
Personally I think visible protest - feet on streets in numbers - should be encouraged, rather than "waging war" online in chat rooms, online polls, and yakking into the ether on your truth-speak YouTube channel.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:51 am POtter isn't making stuff up. Its even on the news agencies.
I just watched those videos (with the sound off TBF), one shows a bunch of people sitting on the floor waving flags and one shows a bunch of people praying??? :?:

Not saying the purported events don't happen though.

Have to say, much as I might disagree with holding protests like this on 11/11 I do also have to support the rule of law. The BBC have a sensible article on this (yeah yeah, BBC, left wing etc.) explaining why the Home Secretary can't stop these protests. By the rule of law they're not doing anything wrong so she can't get the police to stop something just 'cause she doesn't like it (not to say she's not done that other times though, I dunno).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67367617
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:37 pm It's a free country - people can protest about what they want. Slightly amusing that some of us are only happy about the free speech we agree with. As an example, GBNews should be wrestling with this hypocrisy in their own editorial on a daily basis - but they seem totally oblivious.
Personally I think visible protest - feet on streets in numbers - should be encouraged, rather than "waging war" online in chat rooms, online polls, and yakking into the ether on your truth-speak YouTube channel.
Yes, and all protests should be treated equally by plod.
cheb

Post by cheb »

irie wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:00 pm
cheb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:51 pm And if they do listen and change their minds they are shouted down for being weak and populist.
Adam Grant wrote:A sign of intellect is the ability to change your mind in the face of new facts.

A mark of wisdom is refusing to let the fear of admitting you were wrong stop you from getting it right

And who is Adam Grant? Should I have heard of him?

And in regard of the above, are the politicians cleverer than their voters?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:58 pm
And in regard of the above, are the politicians cleverer than their voters?
Only fair way to judge is on long term performance. I will bet that an MPs pension is better than yours, or mine.
So yes, they are cleverer.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Maybe I'll go and take part in the ceasefire march.

I've got my kids this weekend. Well, two of them. The other two are in Venice doing a Venetian mask making workshop and other fancy stuff. But I've got the two older ones. We could go down in one of our many Pree-uses and join the peace march. How fucking chattering classes would that be?!

Maybe we'd see some statue defenders too, it could help explain to my kids why a good education from a top university is important. :thumbup:

From the river to the sea. ;)
Last edited by MyLittleStudPony on Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.