In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
gremlin

Re: In todays news...

Post by gremlin »

Finally some news we can all rally around and find some joy in....

Hollywood actors' union Sag-Aftra agrees tentative deal to end four-month strike

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67364587

Not having an over-paid, self-absorbed actor promoting their new film every opportunity was having a really negative impact on my life.

Rejoice!
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:01 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:59 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:39 pm Can I ask a question without the usual ensuing ming mong ping ping-pong

These pro Palestine demos. What do they hope to achieve?

The war is thousands of miles away. Will some marching folk really change the war?

Keep it sane.
I would imagine they're hoping to end up living in peace & able to come & go as they please... instead of living in the modern version of the Warsaw Ghetto (or worse)

and no, not a damn thing.

but you can't criticize Israel without being called an anti-semite because Americans can't tell the fucking difference. People in the UK don't get accused of being "anti-Prot* because they criticize the UK Govt, just as people who criticize Asian Govt's aren't accused of being anti-Buddhist etc.
I get that. But will anyone listen so far away?
These protesters live here.

I don't want to discuss the war.
I think thar the concept is that big protest marches make OUR government listen, and they in turn can try to pressure the Israel government to stop.

Of course, like all big protests, rent-a-mob elements will have a different agenda.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:49 am
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:39 am I see good old Tommy Robinson is calling for the statue defenders to come out and clash with the anti war protesters (who just so happen to be quite brown).

SD.JPG
Him and many, many others! I cant see this ending well. I was directed to TRs video (in the link below) and after he's finished ranting he does call for peaceful, respectful counter protest...

https://talk.tv/news/34703/tommy-robins ... ay-protest
I do look forward to the media coverage of them. :lol:

Statue defenders, hooooooooooooooooo!
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:57 pm

I find it all very distasteful, but the day is supposed to be in remembrance of the people that died to maintain our sovereign nation and the British way of life - otherwise we might as well have welcomed Mr Hitler and started speaking German - so the public shouldn't have to go out defending British war memorials and British way of life, it should be the police doing it.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:31 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:01 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:59 pm
I would imagine they're hoping to end up living in peace & able to come & go as they please... instead of living in the modern version of the Warsaw Ghetto (or worse)

and no, not a damn thing.

but you can't criticize Israel without being called an anti-semite because Americans can't tell the fucking difference. People in the UK don't get accused of being "anti-Prot* because they criticize the UK Govt, just as people who criticize Asian Govt's aren't accused of being anti-Buddhist etc.
I get that. But will anyone listen so far away?
These protesters live here.

I don't want to discuss the war.
I think thar the concept is that big protest marches make OUR government listen, and they in turn can try to pressure the Israel government to stop.

Of course, like all big protests, rent-a-mob elements will have a different agenda.
Blair ignored approx 1.5M protesters in 2003 . Absolutely No evidence that they listened then .
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I said "the concept is .......". I didn't say it would work. Politicians are,all arrogant bastards and rarely listen.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
cheb

Post by cheb »

And if they do listen and change their minds they are shouted down for being weak and populist.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

How very dare people call for a cease fire on armistice day, its just wrong. :angry-cussingblack:
irie

Post by irie »

cheb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:51 pm And if they do listen and change their minds they are shouted down for being weak and populist.
Adam Grant wrote:A sign of intellect is the ability to change your mind in the face of new facts.

A mark of wisdom is refusing to let the fear of admitting you were wrong stop you from getting it right
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:16 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:57 pm

I find it all very distasteful, but the day is supposed to be in remembrance of the people that died to maintain our sovereign nation and the British way of life - otherwise we might as well have welcomed Mr Hitler and started speaking German - so the public shouldn't have to go out defending British war memorials and British way of life, it should be the police doing it.
They should, but they aren't, but there are ex-squaddies there (Whitehall etc) each day now. Met Police statement below. There's pretty much a call to mobilise for all military personnel, and I guess patriots, on saturday to meet on the embankment at 10 am. I think there is more such meet ups, or anti protest protests called for around the country too.

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

What exactly is distasteful about a march that is calling for a ceasefire?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:07 pm What exactly is distasteful about a march that is calling for a ceasefire?
Because it's deliberately targeted at a national day of remembrance and the hijacking and disrupting the memorial ceremonies. It's incredibly disrespectful imo.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Think they'll have to ban protests eventually, especially in multifaith countries. Someone's always gonna get upset. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:28 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:07 pm What exactly is distasteful about a march that is calling for a ceasefire?
Because it's deliberately targeted at a national day of remembrance and the hijacking and disrupting the memorial ceremonies. It's incredibly disrespectful imo.
But the organisers of the ceasefire protest have specifically stated they are not intending to protest on Remembrance Sunday. Their protest is on the Saturday. So no disruption and no hijacking.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:49 pm
But the organisers of the ceasefire protest have specifically stated they are not intending to protest on Remembrance Sunday. Their protest is on the Saturday. So no disruption and no hijacking.
A person can be too credulous.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:49 pm
11/11 is Saturday, the day of their march. So yes, specifically targeted to be disruptive and disrespectful.

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

But Remembrance Sunday is Sunday the 12th, or am I missing something?
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Calling for a ceasefire on a day remembering a day when they has a ceasefire, really whatever next?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

demographic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:17 pm

Calling for a ceasefire on a day remembering a day when they has a ceasefire, really whatever next?
Is it a joint peaceful venture then? Not seen anything about the organisation of that, unsurprisingly. All I've seen is the defacing of our monuments, general vandalism, racist and anti Semitic cries to kill jews and rape their daughters and even attacks on poppy sellers. This is nothing but an act of provocation on a day of national remembrance.
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:17 pm
Lol, nice political posturing, but I guarantee you this, you wouldn't dare stand with a Union flag whilst selling poppies, in your home country, on the route of this 'peaceful' march calling for a ceasefire, because you know what would happen to you.

Anyone (or anything) unfortunate enough to get in their way, with any view that doesn't align with theirs, will likely be in trouble, it doesn't matter if it's a statue or an old man selling poppies, this is going to be a glacier of violent hate pouring through the streets with a very short fuse.