In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

We're way off track so I'll turn it in now, I know very well that getting people to take responsibility for their own choices is an incredibly difficult thing to do even after many hours of therapy, so I won't achieve it on here.

Loosely back onto todays news - I notice Russell Brand has another accuser, presumably he will think that it's not his fault, he has a sex addiction and therefore shouldn't be held accountable for his own choices https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67318813
Potter

Post by Potter »

Britishvolt goes bust part 2.

Britishvolt was a start-up with big ambitions. It wanted to build a £4bn "gigafactory" to supply battery packs for a new generation of electric cars.

Went bust, got taken over, now bust again, staff not been paid for four months...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67312309

I can't make much sense of the spin and I haven't looked at it properly, but I'm not totally surprised that it's fallen flat on it's face again now money is expensive and it's apparent that the world isn't ready for EVs.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Potter wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:05 pm I know lots, it's 100% pure choice to get into and 100% pure choice to get out of.
You learn to become addicted to something and you can learn to not be addicted to it.
Potter wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:02 pm
I had cancer, thought I was going to die, at the time it robbed me of my life as I knew it and it threw me off the deep end and into a bad place, it was eventually successfully treated via an operation and chemo, but it still wiped me out mentally and I ended up making some very bad choices for a couple of years, based on anger, grief, etc.

I suppose I could claim that it wasn't really a choice, but it was, I chose every single destructive step that I ever took. Once you own that, then you can change and take positive ones
The physical 'you' made those choices, but your mental health wasn't capable of making the same decisions that pre-cancer Potter would have made (or not made). Like many, you had a trigger for your downfall that was beyond your control. Unlike many, you had a trigger that put your mental health back to a place somewhere close to pre-cancer Potter. Yes, you owned your bad decisions but the only reason you were able to do that was because your life was literally handed back to you thanks to the work of others (doctors). I'm not knocking you, just pointing out that I don't think you can really compare your experience to those who have long-term mental health issues for which there is no quick fix.
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:40 pm
irie wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:17 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:27 pm
It might also mean revealing where he actually stands on a subject too. That might be useful.
Bearing in mind my earlier post ...
irie, Saturday October 7th 2023 wrote: Israel was created in 1948 in the Middle East in land that had been Arab/Islamic for hundreds of years. What could possibly go wrong?
... I support neither Israel nor terrorist groups such as Hamas and Heezollah. Iran and its proxies can lose many times but Israel can lose only once. The continued existence of the Hamas Covenant ensures that all parties must fight it out to the death.
Well, I don't totally disagree, in general terms, but I am interested in the use of the term 'proxies' when you only apply it to Iran. The last time I heard the term used in conversation it was implying that either the the USA was an Israel proxy or vv, I don't exactly remember.
I implied but did not state explicitly that Iran is supporting as its proxies terrorist groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

Hoonercat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:02 am ...just pointing out that I don't think you can really compare your experience to those who have long-term mental health issues for which there is no quick fix.

I agree, and that's what I was saying, in my experience most people that were homeless, in drug rehab, YMCA, etc, didn't actually have significant long term mental health issues, they had made bad choices and put themselves there.

When you're in the hole it's very daunting to consider climbing out, it's also incredibly difficult because the rest of society have written you off, but it's entirely possible.

I met people with proper genuinely debilitating mental health issues who could not, but they were not the majority.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

"A judge has refused to delay the trial of Just Stop Oil protesters charged with storming a performance of West End musical, Les Miserables, at the request of one defendant who said they were flying to India." https://metro.co.uk/2023/11/03/judge-pu ... -19769554/

Some people just have no self awareness. :wtf: :roll:
westers151

Post by westers151 »

There is a god - fuckwit wanting to throw a firework from a car manages to blow his hand off :lol: :clap:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... r-28049537
Potter

Post by Potter »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-67340668

"Conservative peer Baroness Mone has admitted she did have ties to PPE Medpro, a medical supplier that won £200 million worth of government contracts during the pandemic, according to the Daily Mirror. The paper says Lady Mone has spent three years insisting she had "no role" at the firm, but that a representative has now said she was an "intermediary", while her husband, Douglas Barrowman, "led the consortium"."

How much more corruption can the UK take? This is just the tip of the iceberg, it's endemic in politics, the police, the public sector, etc.
It's well beyond time and jail sentences should be imposed.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

westers151 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:43 pm There is a god - fuckwit wanting to throw a firework from a car manages to blow his hand off :lol: :clap:

There seems to be theme of fuck-wittery with explosives....

Ukraine war: Grenade birthday gift kills army chief Zaluzhny's aide

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67342367

Where do you even start with this? A live grendade as a gift in a bag? A 13 year-old boy playing with it? The dad snatching it away..?

I'm staggered at the stupidity of it all.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:00 pm
westers151 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:43 pm There is a god - fuckwit wanting to throw a firework from a car manages to blow his hand off :lol: :clap:

Where do you even start with this? A live grendade as a gift in a bag? A 13 year-old boy playing with it? The dad snatching it away..?

"Gen Zaluzhny spoke of the unspeakable pain and heavy loss to the Ukrainian military..."

I'm sure it's a heavy loss to his family but I'd wager that his soldiers are happy to be rid of a Major that is so inept that he blows himself up in his own flat.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Potter wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:41 pm

"Gen Zaluzhny spoke of the unspeakable pain and heavy loss to the Ukrainian military..."

I'm sure it's a heavy loss to his family but I'd wager that his soldiers are happy to be rid of a Major that is so inept that he blows himself up in his own flat.
He was speaking about the grenade, they don't grow on trees you know.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:46 pm
Potter wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:41 pm

He was speaking about the grenade, they don't grow on trees you know.
No they dont. Pineapples are a shrub! :thumbup:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yesterday there were competing protests at an intersection in the LA area. Pro-Israel on one corner. Pro-Palestine on another. All peaceful, but shouty.

At some point a 76yo bloke from the Jewish group decided to go harass the Muslim group on their corner. It got very shouty & pushy. He ended up getting beaned on head with a megaphone & fell over. Hit his head on the kerb & suffered a fractured skull/brain bleed & carked it at the hospital.

Medical examiner declared his death a homicide, which quite frankly is bullshit. Media are already calling it a murder. He had a minor bruise from the megaphone

US Media has so far failed to ONCE mention that he went over the road with the intention of harassing the other team, even though one of his buddies at the protest has stated that he told the other members of the Jewish group not to cross the road. There are multiple videos from both teams, but the media is only showing the Jewish side.. probably because the other team has a video of him trying to hit Muslims with his metal flag pole, That video was aired within the first hour of the incident & has since disappeared.

The absolute fucking bloodlust among yanks is off the scale... these people are taught "there was never a place called Palestine, it never existed" .. They don't like being told that Israel didn't exist before 1948 either...
irie

Post by irie »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:34 am ...
Medical examiner declared his death a homicide, which quite frankly is bullshit. Media are already calling it a murder. He had a minor bruise from the megaphone
In religious 'wars' every side needs a martyr to rally behind. Unsurprisingly none of their sky fairies aka gods will help them.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Do medical examiners declare homicide? Don't the police and courts do that, medical peeps just tell you how someone died.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:37 am
In religious 'wars' every side needs a martyr to rally behind. Unsurprisingly none of their sky fairies aka gods will help them.

On the contrary, it's their god and his will that tells them to become a martyr. Just as those RC cardinals don't know their own mind when choosing a new pope - their choice is their god's choice (why some choose a different person than the majority is debatable of course but it'll still be god's will that they'll be forcing their choice.

Their gods are helping them all the time, it (their god) may work in mysterious ways but trust them, it's all down to god.
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:36 am
irie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:37 am

On the contrary, it's their god and his will that tells them to become a martyr. Just as those RC cardinals don't know their own mind when choosing a new pope - their choice is their god's choice (why some choose a different person than the majority is debatable of course but it'll still be god's will that they'll be forcing their choice.

Their gods are helping them all the time, it (their god) may work in mysterious ways but trust them, it's all down to god.
:lol:

Belief in beings such as green dragons currently roaming the earth disguised as humans is seen as a symptom of mental illness. But religion ...
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

.........is just as mad and a shed-load more dangerous.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:25 am Do medical examiners declare homicide? Don't the police and courts do that, medical peeps just tell you how someone died.
They do things differently in different countries.

As for the charges, in civilised countries, including England, Scotland and the US, if you hit someone on the head with a metal implement and they die, you are very likely to cop a serious charge: examples are manslaughter in England, culpable homicide in Scotland, or some degree of murder or manslaughter in the US.