What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Got the quote for the Monster insurance (for when I get it started!!). It's taken a week for the systems to work and enable her to send the quote and it nearly caused me to need the health cover!! Over 1000€ for the year :shock: :shock:

It was half that last time :( :( So now I have to call around and try and find something less scary!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:51 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:19 am Parted with £1,580, which the Gremlinette is going to reimburse me, in order for her to be insured to drive for another year. :o
You got that down though, didnt you? Wasnt it nearer £3k to start with? Top bombing if you did! :thumbup:
£2,450 was the renewal quote from Admiral, which was up from c. £1,700 last year*. I rang them to see what they could do and they offered a £90 discount. :roll:

Shopping around was giving stupid numbers, like £3,500. Oddly, going TPFT ramped up the price massively, as did me insuring the car and putting Gremlinette down as name driver.

I suppose £1,580 seems like a bargain compared, although I'm not feeling that way at the moment. :lol:

She's just cashed in her Child Trust Fund, the majority of which will cover this bill. I remember seeing some minister talking guff when they dished them out saying it would 'hopefully pay for your child's university education'.

Hmmmm. :think:

*Having a chat with one broker, old skoool stylee, he was saying that young driver insurance has gone up around 30% this year, purely due to inflationary factors.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Ordered a butt pump :shock:

(Decided I should get a bit more organised with rainwater storage as last year I ran out trying to keep the pond margins in water and had to take all the marginals out and put them in containers. Plan is to pump the water from collecting butts off the g/house and conservatory into storage butts through the rainy season. What are those big white cubes in wire frames that are used to transport liquids called*? Someone on here referred to them by TLA. Might get a couple of those too).

Currently waiting for my Ninja Speedi to arrive. *drums fingers*

* Edit - found it. They're IBC containers.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:22 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:51 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:19 am Parted with £1,580, which the Gremlinette is going to reimburse me, in order for her to be insured to drive for another year. :o
You got that down though, didnt you? Wasnt it nearer £3k to start with? Top bombing if you did! :thumbup:
£2,450 was the renewal quote from Admiral, which was up from c. £1,700 last year*. I rang them to see what they could do and they offered a £90 discount. :roll:

Shopping around was giving stupid numbers, like £3,500. Oddly, going TPFT ramped up the price massively, as did me insuring the car and putting Gremlinette down as name driver.

I suppose £1,580 seems like a bargain compared, although I'm not feeling that way at the moment. :lol:

She's just cashed in her Child Trust Fund, the majority of which will cover this bill. I remember seeing some minister talking guff when they dished them out saying it would 'hopefully pay for your child's university education'.

Hmmmm. :think:

*Having a chat with one broker, old skoool stylee, he was saying that young driver insurance has gone up around 30% this year, purely due to inflationary factors.
With my kids insurance, it dropped the price by around £100 for each of us (Mrs & I) when w were added to the policy. Dunno if that still works as tehy sort their own insurances out these days, thankfully!
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Had a excellent day at Aintree test day with one of my mates.The last time I was here for the test day was 1986! :shock:
I'm enjoying my retirement!

My mate was getting his TZ250 running for the first time in 3 years.We just wanted to get it running & do a few laps on it at 'Parade Pace'.

After to many failed bump starts we had to use someone's roller starter to persuade the TZ to wake up,& wake up it did :thumbup:

How many pistons & plugs do you need for a few laps of Aintree :D
It was good to see people I've not seen for a while & meet some new faces
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:40 pm Had a excellent day at Aintree test day with one of my mates.The last time I was here for the test day was 1986! :shock:
I'm enjoying my retirement!

My mate was getting his TZ250 running for the first time in 3 years.We just wanted to get it running & do a few laps on it at 'Parade Pace'.

After to many failed bump starts we had to use someone's roller starter to persuade the TZ to wake up,& wake up it did :thumbup:

How many pistons & plugs do you need for a few laps of Aintree :D
It was good to see people I've not seen for a while & meet some new faces
I never raced Aintree. But IIRC Three Sisters was close.
New Brighton scared the shit out of us all.

We were proddy racers coz TZs were too expensive 😢
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:02 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm Off to see the meat cutter/bone mechanic & get the wrist fracture I separated ELEVEN FUCKING MONTHS AGO fixed.
Good luck Lefty. :thumbup:

Done & dusted, was out the door at 10.30am
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:26 pm
I never raced Aintree. But IIRC Three Sisters was close.
New Brighton scared the shit out of us all.

We were proddy racers coz TZs were too expensive 😢
I raced (and crashed) a few times at Aintree on a 250LC,but I never had the funds to continue.
With hindsight & my enthusiasm over riding my talent it was probably a blessing...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Spent the whole day gardening.

We looked up one plant and it said it was toxic, it said consumption could cause mental sex issues :think:

Mrs Potter suggested that we wait until we have a quiet weekend and then take a load :lol:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've bought yet another pair of car tyres today, I should be annoyed about regular pothole damage but it does mean I care little about the accelerated wear from deliberate over steering.
Now I can look for my dream car, a reasonably powerful RWD car that uses cheap tyres.
David

Post by David »

Potter wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:52 pm Spent the whole day gardening.

We looked up one plant and it said it was toxic, it said consumption could cause mental sex issues :think:

Mrs Potter suggested that we wait until we have a quiet weekend and then take a load :lol:
What plant was that and where can I get one?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Minor complications, ended up back in the ER for 5 hours.. all good now though.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Woken up by the dog at 3.20am. Garden trip. Back to snoozing. Got up at 6 and have been quietly getting on with some reading the news etc.

MOT later today. Will report back results. TOR exhaust may be too loud...
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

A few weeks ago I sent a message in response to a job ad. Cos, at the time I didn't ever want to work for the winter boss ever again!! (Still not sure about next winter!! )

Anyway, I was winding myself up to call, I know the guy that owns the company, so was a bit weirded out by the silence - got a call from his partner in the business while I was at the hospital on Tuesday so I called him yesterday. We had a long 'chat' (he did speak quite slowly for me, but as usual, I get the general sense of the conversation, not every word :roll: ). What did freak me out was that he said he'd spoken to my winter boss :shock: Turns out they are neighbours in the winter!! :roll: But, equally, winter boss said that he'll be quiet in the summer, but will want me to start early September (hasn't actually mentioned this to me, so I'm still looking for a winter job!!), so Fabien said that as their job is only for July and August, it would fit in. Huge relief as wasn't sure that the winter boss would recommend me for anything!! Mind you, since he spoke to Fabien he's text a few times and sent an 'almost' apology for how the winter ended up - TBF, for a French man, that is quite a big thing so I'm taking it as reconciliation!!

Today I went to meet Fabien for a proper chat. The reason the guy I know didn't call is because his wife's just had a baby! LOL Conversation went well. I got on well with him and his dog - even met his wife and she seems nice too :D

So, for the summer (2) months I'll be working for a VTT School! Talking to clients, taking bookings (lessons are mainly kids with just a few adults), looking after some VTT bikes and scooters and electric scooters!!!! :D :D The fact that I speak English (!!!) is a bonus again! But definitely being able to converse reasonably well in French is the major win - and he said I'll learn more French in the summer and he wants to practice some english too :D :D

Kind of taken a bit of stress away. I should get unemployment for May and any bit of June I'm not signed off work. Then I get to do a full time job (full time hours but 4 days a week) for the summer that gives me time to see friends and ride my bike!! :D :D :D Happy happy Noggin :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Got a FB friend request from an ex who still owes me £10k and it didnt end well, obvs!
Tempted to accept, tell her how my life has panned out (retired at 54, moved abroad) then block her.
But then again :wtf:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Demannu wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:48 pm Got a FB friend request from an ex who still owes me £10k and it didnt end well, obvs!
Tempted to accept, tell her how my life has panned out (retired at 54, moved abroad) then block her.
We need pics to help you decide.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Time hasn't been kind to her apparently, quite the swamp donkey now! Last I heard she was living in a caravan beside a motorway.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Drove a car!!! Turning was a bit of a challenge...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Demannu wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:48 pm Got a FB friend request from an ex who still owes me £10k and it didnt end well, obvs!
LOL. Wouldn't go anywhere near that. Dunno what you can do actually do with FB requests but my suggestion would be to pour petrol on it and burn it. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire