In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: In todays news...

Post by Cousin Jack »

Facts are easy. Finding a solution to the problem is much more difficult. And scoring points is not making progress to a solution.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I find it odd and distasteful that some people rush into making excuses for what those utterly wretched pigs from Gaza did on Saturday.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:24 pm I find it odd and distasteful that some people rush into making excuses for what those utterly wretched pigs from Gaza did on Saturday.
I don't disagree, but I find it equally distasteful that Israel has been mistreating Palestinians as a deliberate policy for decades. The Jewish extreme right, who basically control Israel's goverment, seem to think the Holocaust, or their 'chosen people' status, justifies them in using tactics that the Nazis would be proud of.

Two wrongs do not make a right.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:42 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:24 pm I find it odd and distasteful that some people rush into making excuses for what those utterly wretched pigs from Gaza did on Saturday.
I don't disagree, but I find it equally distasteful that Israel has been mistreating Palestinians as a deliberate policy for decades. The Jewish extreme right, who basically control Israel's goverment, seem to think the Holocaust, or their 'chosen people' status, justifies them in using tactics that the Nazis would be proud of.

This recent unpleasantness won’t have a leftward influence upon voting patterns in Israel.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:55 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:42 pm

This recent unpleasantness won’t have a leftward influence upon voting patterns in Israel.
I totally agree, but it doesn't make the Israeli position morally right. Both sides are wrong, both sides need to talk, and compromise. Or both sides will end up counting dead in 10s or 100s of 000s.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:19 pm both sides need to talk, and compromise.
Yes, but there’s no sign that they want to.

Right now, I expect many Israelis see being nice to the Palestinians as detrimental to themselves.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:30 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:19 pm both sides need to talk, and compromise.

Right now, I expect many Israelis see being nice to the Palestinians as detrimental to themselves.
I expect they do. They have been believing they are 'right' since 1949. I don't condone the Palestinian violence, I do understand it. As long as both sides stand firm people will die.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:40 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:30 pm

I expect they do. They have been believing they are 'right' since 1949. I don't condone the Palestinian violence, I do understand it. As long as both sides stand firm people will die.
They have been believing the Palestinians will try to kill them all and I think they have been right in that belief.

The Palestinians have been dealt a poor hand and they are playing it just about as badly as possible.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I see that Israel now intends to cut off all supplies of food, medicine, etc to 2.3 million people, most of whom have no way to leave even if someone else offered them a home. Remind you of the Nazis?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:08 pm I see that Israel now intends to cut off all supplies of food, medicine, etc to 2.3 million people, most of whom have no way to leave even if someone else offered them a home. Remind you of the Nazis?
2.3 million, and how many of them are Hamas 'members' or whatever they have? Probably more now. Which keeps everything going, which seems to be what the main actors want.

I keep thinking of America....'This is our land now, you can live on these 'reservations', we'll have the rest. Oh, there actually appears to be something of value on some of the little bits we 'gave' you, oil, minerals, water whatever....we'll have those bits too'.

:(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:20 pm Facts are easy.
Evidently not.
Finding a solution to the problem is much more difficult.
The only solution acceptable to those who lost their land is its return*.
And scoring points is not making progress to a solution.
The above * will obviously not happen so both sides will continue to fight it out as they have been doing for the last 74 years.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

FWIW (which is probably not very much) I think Israel will annex Gaza and declare it to be an integral part of Israel.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

irie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:01 pm FWIW (which is probably not very much) I think Israel will annex Gaza and declare it to be an integral part of Israel.
After they've razed it to the ground.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Which will result in 2.3 million 2nd class citizens in the new Israel. Or 2.3 million new voters, keen to root out the Zionist members of the knesset.

Take your pick, neither will end well.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:22 pm Which will result in 2.3 million 2nd class citizens in the new Israel. Or 2.3 million new voters, keen to root out the Zionist members of the knesset.

The former of course.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I've no idea how all this will pan out & I've given up hope on any kind of long lasting peace in Israel/Palestine,but I'm wary about things escalating with the Iranians.I think the Israeli's are trying to move closer to the Saudi's & the Palestinians seem to be backed by Iran as are Hizbollah in Lebanon.
There really are some loathsome regimes in that part of the world & they're scheming at the momment
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

irie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:46 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:22 pm Which will result in 2.3 million 2nd class citizens in the new Israel. Or 2.3 million new voters, keen to root out the Zionist members of the knesset.

The former of course.
Seems the more likely of the two.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:42 pm I don't disagree, but I find it equally distasteful that Israel has been mistreating Palestinians as a deliberate policy for decades. The Jewish extreme right, who basically control Israel's goverment, seem to think the Holocaust, or their 'chosen people' status, justifies them in using tactics that the Nazis would be proud of.

If I were an Israeli, I'd be questioning how the fuck gods "chosen people" ended up with the only bit of the Middle East that doesn't have oil under it...
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:05 am If I were an Israeli, I'd be questioning how the fuck gods "chosen people" ended up with the only bit of the Middle East that doesn't have oil under it...
Google says Israel has small oil reserves. In 2016 they were producing 6,000 barrels a day.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

All of the above indicates to me that religion, rather than money, is the real root of all evil.

Israel, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan/India, Ireland, the Balkans, ...... Thar's just the recent stuff. Let's not forget the Crusades, and the Spanish/Portugese conquest of South America.

And please don't tell me those were about land or power, or gold. They were about that as well, but religion was the key that unlocked the attrocities and slaughter.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!