In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
ZRX61

Re: In todays news...

Post by ZRX61 »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:18 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:03 am Canadian PM & Zelensky just honored a Ukrainian member of the Waffen SS. Apparently a lot of people are a bit miffed about this.
Someone must have forgotten what they once learned about keeping their head down.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/09/26/ ... om-canada/
A Polish government minister has launched a bid to extradite Yaroslav Hunka, the 98-year-old Ukrainian-Canadian man who fought in a German-Nazi division during World War Two and last week received a standing ovation in Canada’s parliament.
I guess Putin was correct when he told the Russians they were fighting nazi's... bit awkward for the West...
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I'm sure even Putin can defeat 98 year old ex soldiers. Unless Nazis have some sort of special abilities I'm unaware of? Maybe Yaroslav Hunka is taking the same pills that are keeping Trump and Biden upright?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It is, if nothing else, a good indicator of why a spontaneous standing ovation should not be a barometer of greatness.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Biden damn near did a half-gainer down the *short stairs* from Air Farce One again today. That makes 11 in total (so far).
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:31 pm I'm sure even Putin can defeat 98 year old ex soldiers. Unless Nazis have some sort of special abilities I'm unaware of? Maybe Yaroslav Hunka is taking the same pills that are keeping Trump and Biden upright?
Handed a great PR success to Putin...On one hand we have the Ukrainian PM denying there are Ukrainian Nazi's.. then the Canadian Parliament wheels one out for a standing ovation in his presence. Putin: "Told ya so.."
irie

Post by irie »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:25 pm
DefTrap wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:31 pm I'm sure even Putin can defeat 98 year old ex soldiers. Unless Nazis have some sort of special abilities I'm unaware of? Maybe Yaroslav Hunka is taking the same pills that are keeping Trump and Biden upright?
Handed a great PR success to Putin...On one hand we have the Ukrainian PM denying there are Ukrainian Nazi's.. then the Canadian Parliament wheels one out for a standing ovation in his presence. Putin: "Told ya so.."
I suspect the "Ukrainian PM" would probably also like to extradite Yaroslav Hunka to Ukraine to face trial for war crimes.

There remain Nazi war criminals in other places in the world - for example in Bariloche in Argentina and still a few (very old men) there. Visited Bariloche years ago, interesting place.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Didn't look like it was slowing much at all, brake failure?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dramatic-mome ... 00645.html

Other news agencies are claiming the aircraft had links to Wagner.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Hard to see in the video 'cause these things get distorted, but it seems like it landed really far down the runway? So maybe the pilot should've "gone around", didn't, half bailed out and then changed their mind?

Dunno - maybe they were blinded by a laser fired from a Russian satellite?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

It will almost certainly have been a Russian (nee Belarusian) sponsored operation, apparently delivering military equipment and personnel. Headed for Turkey which is a bit odd under the circumstances (Azerbaijan v. Armenia etc.).

Are we at war with Oceania and allied with Eurasia currently or v.v.? I can't keep up...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
irie

Post by irie »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:36 am Didn't look like it was slowing much at all, brake failure?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dramatic-mome ... 00645.html

Other news agencies are claiming the aircraft had links to Wagner.
Didn't see any reverse thrust.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66950240

Woman demands to be treated equally, then when she can't pass a fitness test she demands to be treated like a woman, who apparently aren't equal to men.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Then you've got all the one's in between...jeez. 🤦‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:59 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66950240

Woman demands to be treated equally, then when she can't pass a fitness test she demands to be treated like a woman, who apparently aren't equal to men.
I do wonder what happened to equal pay for equal work.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:59 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66950240

BBC wrote: Ms Brown repeatedly failed to meet the 7.6 level but the tribunal found she had not been given the opportunity to formally attempt a different test called the "Chester treadmill test". This involves running on a treadmill while the gradient is increased every two minutes.

She had been given one chance to try it as a familiarisation exercise but when she struggled to balance she wasn't encouraged to persevere, or given any guidance. The tribunal found no other means of reaching the equivalent of 7.6 on the bleep test were discussed.
She should have been encouraged to persevere with the "Chester treadmill test" and if she failed (as it seems she very likely would) then she would have had no grounds for her action.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mussels wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:50 pm

I do wonder what happened to equal pay for equal work.
I think you will find that it's equal pay for work of equal value. It came about after women working in a canteen in a shipyard said their work was of equal value to welders - they needed far more qualifications than a welder and they weren't being treated properly.

This case had nothing to do with equal pay - it was about a women being expected to meet equal fitness test scores as men. If you read the article you'll see that the MoD police discriminated against her because they didn't allow her to take an alternative test. They were stupid as she'd have probably failed that test as well and they could have got rid of her with no comeback.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

I'm not seeing anything in that report that states she 'demanded' to be treated equally :?:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I feel like "Chester Treadmill" is a euphemism for something but I bet it's just named after the guy who invented the test :(
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:58 pm I feel like "Chester Treadmill" is a euphemism for something but I bet it's just named after the guy who invented the test :(
Is Chester Draws involved?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yambo wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:31 pm They were stupid
Effective use of understatement.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

This just popped up on my FB feed...

459 in progress. 423 W Lancaster Blvd. Multiple DP'S inside loc. Units responding code 3.
UPDATE 2 DP'S being detained at gunpoint. 5 additional DP'S inside. One DP, female black, uncoop. 40 mm deployed.
UPDATE 2: DP still ignoring commands.
UPDATE 3: DP still screaming, refusing to comply.
UPDATE 4: Making an approach on DP.
UPDATE 5: Female DP in custody. Beginning callouts to remainder.
UPDATE 6: No response to callouts. Additional DP'S confirmed inside. Making entry.
UPDATE 7: Deputy has visual on one DP.
UPDATE 8: One additional DP being detained. 2nd additional DP being detained now.
UPDATE 9: All DP'S being detained. Code 4.

459 is burglary, DP is Da Perp (actually *disturbing party*) The 40mm is a "less than lethal" bean bag, not a grenade launcher (unfortunately).

For context on just how smart these perps were. This business is right across the street from the cop shop, The cops could have strolled over there.
Last edited by ZRX61 on Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.