What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Had a great 5 hour enduro ride. Been playing a bit and now got the front forks absolutely perfect. Doesn't matter what obstacles it hits, it keeps going in a straight line.
We found a new barranco (dried river bed) which was fun. In the pic below, we stopped as it became tough going. We walked the next 50 metres and decided it was doable.
We managed another 400 meters before it became impassable. It was like the sort of stuff you'd have needed a trials bike for 30 years ago. But today's enduro bikes are amazing.

Me in my new boots. Can't quite see how narrow the path becomes behind Hippy.
IMG-20230326-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230326-WA0002.jpg (609.23 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

When I left resort this morning it was snowing :D :D Came back with half a group of ten, the other half were in a colleagues van, so we drover back (mostly) together. Until we got half way up the mountain (ok, a bit more than halfway!). He lost traction and stopped, I managed to get past and a bit further up and then struggled a bit too.

Stupidly, I didn't think to use the manual gearing on the automatic, but had two further goes at getting going and managed, so drove all the way up to the clubmed at 2100! I was very happy :D Mostly because I bastard hate putting chains on but also because Xav didn't manage to get going.

What has p'd me off a bit is that neither van had chains in :o :o Ok, it isn't a legal requirement and I hadn't checked because I'd just assumed that they would be in the van :roll: . The legal stuff is "winter tyres, snow chains or snow socks". BUT - personally I've always had winter tyres and carried chains. Because, as today proved, just occasionally the conditions mean that chains are a good back up! (warm conditions, so the snow that fell initially was melty and the corner we both struggled on is dodgy with ice anyway, so just sometimes you do need chains regardless of the tyres - although in 6 winters of doing transfers I've only needed to use chains three times!!! :D )

But, anyway - I made it and when Xav commented later, I just said - well, I drive like a girl, you should try it!! Not sure the phrase translated that well, but his ego was already dented, so nothing I said was gonna help that French male ego :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had to do two more short transfers from the valley, and before coming back up from the first of these, the boss made me change vehicles into a 4WD Passat. Funny though cos that next drive up the road was completely clear. But when I came back up the last time, it was all sorts of stopped vehicles again - the auto Traffic might have made it but I was kinda glad to be in the Passat tho :D :D

Suffering from the clocks going forward so, early night then back to the office tomorrow. Weird week to come as I've had friends in resort for the last four weeks and now there's no visitors :( :( Probably best, I'm bloody knackered from working too many hours and trying to keep up with friends a bit too!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Went to Miller’s Ark Animals to see and interact with all their animals … really nice as today was fo adults only so no screaming kids about ;)

Link below
https://millersark.co.uk/
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Drive back from Brugge. Signed off by Bishop. Free range Priest now.

Yes, I did bring back beer. Had a bottle of Brugge Tripel Sec this evening. Very nice indeed!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
cheb

Post by cheb »

the_priest wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:02 pm Drive back from Brugge. Signed off by Bishop. Free range Priest now.

Yes, I did bring back beer. Had a bottle of Brugge Tripel Sec this evening. Very nice indeed!
Did you learn the difference between Bruges waffles and Belgian waffles?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Seeing as today was the return of BST I was out on the summer bike this morning

This afternoon I was round at one of my mate's with my XT600 motor.We got a surprise when we took the cylinder head off :wtf: ,I'll post about that later.
dern

Post by dern »

Went to the first gig for a while tonight. Eels at Rock City in Nottingham. Awesome gig.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Fell over. A-fucking-gain :(

Note to self for the future - do not buy lace up boots with hooks at the top since I seem incapable of tucking the bastards loops of the laces into the top of my boot (and even if I do the fukkers come out when I'm not looking) so the loop from one boot catches on the hook of the other and causes a fairly fast fall :roll: :roll:

Kinda lucky (I think, still getting over the shock of falling in my apartment :roll:) as I seem to only have bruises, and although some decent ones on my right arm, they are elbow to half way up the back of my arm, so less near my shoulder!!

FFS - I have had a really shit morning as I know I'm just too tired to function. But as my boss is also in the same state, any interaction by phone has not been exactly easy :roll: (ie, telling me I shouldn't have taken certain bookings and giving me the reason - and I had the info before, which I should have had, then I wouldn't have taken the sodding booking :( :( )

I really want to work for this company next year as well, but we will be having a serious conversation about hours before then. I have averaged 46 hours a week the last four weeks, which on a 39 hour contract is pushing it. And with the pain meds making a reappearance for shoulder and knee, I know it's too many. I've had friends in resort the last 3 or 4 weeks and have barely seen them because I'm just too tired to go out at night and still work the next day :( :(

So, will finish today on time and start later tomorrow (already started a bit later today, but 10am earliest tomorrow!!)

Just hope my physio doesn't ask too many questions later as he makes me cry when I'm mentally wobbly!! LOL

Oh, and some fukker that went in the office yesterday drank most of my hot choc :angry-cussingblack: Very peeved to find there was only one sachet left this morning :o Bastards - I even put the packet in a different cupboard and high up, next to my gurt mug, so I had thought that was enough of a hint! :angry-argument: :angry-argument: :angry-argument:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Took the KTM Duke 690 for its MoT. It passed, but only after the MoT station fitted a (tiny) rear reflector. It's a requirement, apparently. I never knew...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I had planned to get some bike time in today,as it's a lovely.crisp sunny one,but the council cunts have gritted the roads again,so that scuppered that plan.

I bought a cheap pair of Hideout leather trousers a while back and took a gamble on the fit,but they need work,so I jumped in the car and went to a place which alters and repairs bike stuff for the road racers/BSB etc. The sat nav got a bit confused,though it took me 90% of the way and I managed to find it down a slightly bigger than one car road. One of those,'you are fucked if you meet a lorry' type farm tracks.
Lovely folk,it turned out we knew a lot of the same people. Always handy to find quality workers locally.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm
Oh, and some fukker that went in the office yesterday drank most of my hot choc :angry-cussingblack: Very peeved to find there was only one sachet left this morning :o
- Get more sachets
- Carefully slice a small slit on the back near the base
- Carefully add more powder
- Superglue closed
- Leave in the office
- DON'T drink them yourself

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Got a letter telling me that the ITV (MOT) is due Wednesday.
Bugger. Had to hurriedly change over the tail tidy and silencer.
Simple enough normally, but I chopped wires when I fitted it, rather than check the package contents properly ;)

Also needs the master cylinder changing, but CBA.
I'll get the shop to change it before they ride it to the test centre
20230327_132500.jpg
20230327_132500.jpg (999.07 KiB) Viewed 226 times
20201016_160858.jpg
20201016_160858.jpg (115.69 KiB) Viewed 226 times
20230327_133139.jpg
20230327_133139.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 226 times
20230327_133139.jpg
20230327_133139.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 226 times
Last edited by Yorick on Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Looks crap now
20230327_150507.jpg
20230327_150507.jpg (555.62 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:23 pm Got a letter telling me that the ITV (MOT) is due Wednesday.

How do the testers know? Surely they can't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every bike?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Horse wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:59 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:23 pm Got a letter telling me that the ITV (MOT) is due Wednesday.

How do the testers know? Surely they can't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every bike?
Yes they do. Big catalogues.
But mainly coz it's a racing MC with no brake light switch.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:22 pm

Can't you get a brake light switch that relies on hydraulic pressure?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:32 pm

The shop only charge about €35 an hour. And it'll come back bled with new fluid :)
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm
The shop only charge about €35 an hour. And it'll come back bled with new fluid :)
What I mean is, can't you use your fancy racing MC with a hydraulic light switch? That way it's legal and you get the best of both worlds. Or are individual components homologated and can't be changed?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Roomie comes home today. I have to pick her up from LAX at 7.40pm... This means I have to put the house back to how it was when she left a week ago.
Trash day tomorrow, so the bins will go out before I leave to pick her up. This will ensure she doesn't see evidence of amazon & ebay splurges... the recycle bin is full of empty cardboard boxes.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:52 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm
What I mean is, can't you use your fancy racing MC with a hydraulic light switch? That way it's legal and you get the best of both worlds. Or are individual components homologated and can't be changed?
I might try that for next time. But if I've pals behind, I dab the back brake.