What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
wull

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by wull »

We were donated this ms 650 at work by one of the members roughly 4 years ago so decided to have a look at it today, get it up and running and see exactly what it needs.

I managed to get it up and running, it needs a few things but nothing major, piston looks sweet, few little issues needed addressed for it to run but it went in the end up.

Obviously a bar and chain and it’ll be a perfect back up for us.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Walked dog first thing this morning after dropping the wife off at work. Then got home to sort a few bits out. Went to see the Archdeacon about a parish I've seen that is advertising for a vicar (and I need to find a new post). So we had a chat about the parishes (3 churches) and what they are like etc... I'll be applying. Just need to write a vocations statement for the application, up to 25,000 words (not likely). Meeting tonight and then bed!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:34 pm Walked dog first thing this morning after dropping the wife off at work. Then got home to sort a few bits out. Went to see the Archdeacon about a parish I've seen that is advertising for a vicar (and I need to find a new post). So we had a chat about the parishes (3 churches) and what they are like etc... I'll be applying. Just need to write a vocations statement for the application, up to 25,000 words (not likely). Meeting tonight and then bed!
Why do you need to move?
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

the_priest wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:34 pm Walked dog first thing this morning after dropping the wife off at work. Then got home to sort a few bits out. Went to see the Archdeacon about a parish I've seen that is advertising for a vicar (and I need to find a new post). So we had a chat about the parishes (3 churches) and what they are like etc... I'll be applying. Just need to write a vocations statement for the application, up to 25,000 words (not likely). Meeting tonight and then bed!
I was thinking the other day, I'd like a go at the old vicaring game. How do you get into it?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Looked at 1000+ ft/lb pneumatic impacts.... Toss up between IR & Horrible Fright. The IR (TiMax 2235) is about 3x the cost of the HF...but is available in Kawasaki lime green... & I already have the smaller 3/8 drive IR TiMax :?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Saw the physio after work. did some work on my leg for a change and DAMN that was painful. So I'm back in compression stockings (he reminded me not to forget to wear pants - to which i replied it was too cold to go pantless!!) which I do hate!! But should probably wear for a few days at least!

Most disappointing is that after two hours of dancing last night and similar tomorrow, I decided I'd go see the rockabilly band in the summer as they play at a place I'm not keen on and my mates lightweighted me and bailed after dinner!!

Three nights dancing in a row probably isn't best for a dodgy knee - makes me feel a bit old! Roll on the summer and less metal and more fitness!! :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Yorick wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:48 pm
Why do you need to move?
Coming to the end of my curacy training. So I have a year to find an incumbency post. Want to remain in the Kent area (Rochester Diocese) if possible.
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:21 pm
I was thinking the other day, I'd like a go at the old vicaring game. How do you get into it?
Faith in Christ as Saviour and Lord, have a calling into the vocation of ministry, live a sacrificial life of leading others into faith. Be prepared to be insulted, mocked, called deluded and lost, have time to speak to drunks, the lonely, broken hearted, hungry, imprisoned, dying and those who have no time for life. There are many pathways into ordained ministry that God enables, but primarily it is believing that salvation is in Jesus name and through his redeeming death and resurrection.

Never thought about it as a "game" though, real life is much harder than a game and much more costly. I'd write more, but I'm heading to a retreat this weekend and need to pack!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

I think I may have mentioned in a prior post of my early days of faith.

My teenage years, at least most of them, were dedicated to the church and my faith. Even then, it took stamina and I battled with doubt and guilt. But, whilst now a sworn atheist, I know that it made me the person I am today. The ' game ' requires a very special kind of person, be it Christian, Muslim or Jew at al. You have my absolute respect Priest.

Get signed off and continue doing wonderful things.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

the_priest wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:54 am Be prepared to be insulted, mocked, called deluded and lost, have time to speak to drunks, the lonely, broken hearted, hungry, imprisoned, dying and those who have no time for life.
Sounds like life in a dealing room. :lol:

Get a gig at my local church. We could go on rides out together. https://stpaulscrofton.org.uk/ I'll have a word with Bimbi, put in a good word, slip him a fiver on the collection plate. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

the_priest wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:54 am
Yorick wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:48 pm
Why do you need to move?
Coming to the end of my curacy training. So I have a year to find an incumbency post. Want to remain in the Kent area (Rochester Diocese) if possible.
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:21 pm
Faith in Christ as Saviour and Lord, have a calling into the vocation of ministry, live a sacrificial life of leading others into faith. Be prepared to be insulted, mocked, called deluded and lost, have time to speak to drunks, the lonely, broken hearted, hungry, imprisoned, dying and those who have no time for life. There are many pathways into ordained ministry that God enables, but primarily it is believing that salvation is in Jesus name and through his redeeming death and resurrection.

Never thought about it as a "game" though, real life is much harder than a game and much more costly. I'd write more, but I'm heading to a retreat this weekend and need to pack!
That sounds awesome. Good for you.

Thinking it through, it's probably not for me. I really just want to indulge myself at other people's expense and I thought it could be a route into doing that with 2000 years of darkness and bafflement and hunger behind me.

I'm finding myself more drawn to working in a pharmacy / chemist shop these days. I can see the appeal of moving small items between plastic baskets and slowly doing indeterminate things at workbenches while the paying public wait, ignored.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bit of a weird day as I've had two groups of friends out this week and they all go tomorrow :( So catching up with them after work today. Was heading to a bar for an evening of dancing to a band I love, but had my first migraine in years this afternoon, so, whilst the drugs have kept the eye lines and headache at bay, I'm not overly keen on being in a loud bar all night :( But, I'll head over in a bit to say hi and see a few peeps there, then back to get some sleep and recover from the migraine before tomorrow!! LOL Bloody good job I'm not driving tomorrow as have taken as much of all the drugs I have to combat it and, although I think codeine etc has no effect on me, I'd rather not test that by driving after taking it :? :?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Wasted a good sunny few hours sitting waiting for Mrs.Skub's car to be sorted. Man I hate daytime tv. Is there really a market for that load of steaming horseballs?

When I was free,it started raining,so no bike time to improve my mood. :evil:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

We must all do our bit for the planet.
I just unplugged a row of electric cars, that no one was using.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Loading van

Image2023-03-25_08-37-22 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Could've spent five minutes weeding the driveway.........😂

Have a good weekend.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:47 am Could've spent five minutes weeding the driveway.........😂

Have a good weekend.
Not my drive 😂
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I read this confession on Twitter and wondered if it was anyone we know.
I'm a Vicar in the CofE. I use ChatGPT to write my sermons and - according to multiple parishioners - I'm preaching brilliantly every week. I'd feel guilty but the stipend is piss poor and this frees up many hours per week to actually do proper pastoral parish work. Fuck it.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:49 am We must all do our bit for the planet.
I just unplugged a row of electric cars, that no one was using.
You won’t mind if someone drains your fuel tank, for the same reason?
Ant

Post by Ant »

So far today, helped an elderly couple out who live down my road, the locks were playing up with their car, one of the passenger door lock modules needed replacing, so I did that for them. They're chuffed, as before today, the car was basically left unlocked, so happy to help and despite their best efforts to reward me, I won't take a penny off them.

Then as everyone is out, I've got the tunes on and I've started the preps for dinner. Now, it's nearly 3pm and I've got the taste for a beer, is it too early?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Sorted out my socket drawer. New sockets & racks (the black racks, red rails are the metric stuff, black rails are AF) Moved a bunch of 1/4in drive stuff to the (new) blue racks. Moved a bunch of Whitworth/BS stuff & extra AF/Metric sockets out (they'll be going in another box).
Need to buy a pack of 1/2in clips so I can move stuff from another drawer onto the red racks.