Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Noggin »

Pirahna wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:11 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:13 pm I'm signed into a VPN to watch MotoGP without paying and it's not in English. I'll keep watching but it's bloody annoying that I've broken a ton of copyright and anti pirating laws and still can't get the language I want.
Corrected for you.
Totally - I'd pay to watch if it was a half sensible price! I pay to watch Netflix and I did have Canal+ (Ok, racing in French but easier to understand than Austrian!) but Canal+ is too expensive at the mo cos its' 35+€ a month

TBF, I'd pay to watch uk tv if they set up a system of 'licencing' that enabled 'foreigners' to watch!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:16 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:13 pm I'm signed into a VPN and the MotoGP is on live and it's still not in English. Nor was the Sprint yesterday but I figured that since I'd missed half of it, maybe it would only be in English if I see the start.

Seems not :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

I'll keep watching but it's bloody annoying that I've done everything I'm supposed to and still can't get the language I want!! LOL
Since you are being a crook how about looking into IPTV in a firestick. I can take my stick to euroland and watch all what is on offer back home. Just need a VPN, check and internet connection, Check :thumbup:
Only cos I'm so tech-useless!! It's taken me years to MU and get a VPN and I still can't make that work :roll: :roll: Can't imagine a firestick will be any easier :lol:

When I eventually move, I'll probably get a system like other here - dish and (I think) a Humax box. Everyone I know here seems to have that set up and it works fine. Everything is a bit temporary still in this apartment whilst I wait to see if I can move before the winter or not
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

I watched it in English via vpn :wave:
You are clicking on livestream aren't you?
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:13 pm I'm signed into a VPN to watch MotoGP without paying and it's not in English. I'll keep watching but it's bloody annoying that I've broken a ton of copyright and anti pirating laws and still can't get the language I want.
Corrected for you.
How is it copyright and pirating infringement. Its a free internet channel thats geo- restricted.
A bit like you watching BBC in Spain without a UK license........hang on, that's a criminal offense!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:37 am
Corrected for you.
How is it copyright and pirating infringement. Its a free internet channel thats geo- restricted.
A bit like you watching BBC in Spain without a UK license........hang on, that's a criminal offense!
It's geo-restricted for copyright and licencing reasons.

(I'm not saying I agree with those reasons in anyway, just correcting your mis-apprehension that the geo-restriction is for any other reason).
non quod, sed quomodo
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I accidentally watch the football on dodgy streaming using a VPN. I'd happily watch the paid version if it was made available easily for the teams I want to watch - I don't want to have to access numerous legit streaming services so that I can watch all the competitions my team are involved in - I don't need access to millions of hours of other sports and teams that I'm never going to watch. Until the time comes that these services can come up with PPV, then stuff them and their licensing rules.

My setup works pretty well by the way. And when one goes down, another springs up.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:40 am
Sadlonelygit wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:37 am

Corrected for you.
It's geo-restricted for copyright and licencing reasons.

(I'm not saying I agree with those reasons in anyway, just correcting your mis-apprehension that the geo-restriction is for any other reason).
I would agree about licensing, but not copyright! Pretty sure it's BT sport (going back a bit) or whoever does the English version owns the copyright.
However auntie beeb do a good job weeding out vpn servers and blocking them, servus don't seem to bother for some reason.

But I still bet that Piranha watches BBC illegally🤪
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Sloppy legislation. The final nail in the coffin of Mamod model steam engines was.....

....anti-terror legislation. :shock:

(The little hexamine fuel tablets they use are potential bomb making materials so use is now licensed - you'd need a sackful. They went from meths burners to solid fuel for safety reasons...probably to stop kids drinking it :D ).

Model aircraft flying clubs have been hit by the laws that were designed to put a crimp on dodgy drone flying.

Oh well, kids can always just spend their time on the Internet......
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:24 am
But I still bet that Piranha watches BBC illegally🤪
The answer is, I don't. There is a TV, a nice 56 inch plasma, it was in the house when we bought it. The last time it was switched on was last Christmas when wifey wanted to watch a film on Amazon Prime. We never watched TV in England and don't watch it here. I have a videopass subscription for MotoGP and watch it on a tablet. I have subscriptions for Prime and Netflix which wifey watches, I rarely do.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:08 am Sloppy legislation.
Thank you, that's reminded me I need to go and buy something silly to replace something now made illegal to own later this month
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:15 pm
Thank you, that's reminded me I need to go and buy something silly to replace something now made illegal to own later this month
Screenshot_20240902_132856.jpg
Screenshot_20240902_132856.jpg (254.3 KiB) Viewed 342 times
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Well it is 12"
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Planning on hacking through the undergrowth to get to the bottom of the garden? :D
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:19 pm
Planning on hacking through the undergrowth to get to the bottom of the garden? :D
Planning on this being the last time I obey stupid laws brought on to the books by stupid people and have exactly zero impact on the issue they're trying to address
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:05 pm

Planning on this being the last time I obey stupid laws brought on to the books by stupid people and have exactly zero impact on the issue they're trying to address
ok, you're going to have to narrow that one down....
non quod, sed quomodo
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:11 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:05 pm

ok, you're going to have to narrow that one down....
Ordinarily I would, hell up until this morning I would have posted up a photo of what I've bought when postie drops it off later this week.
But no more, a lot of what I do / did / do has been infringed on by ever tightening laws, so I'm not posting about it any longer lest it comes back to bite me in the ass at a later date when the next 'something must be done' gets shouted from the red tops.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:08 am Sloppy legislation. The final nail in the coffin of Mamod model steam engines was.....

I had a (new) Mamod steam engine in about 1981, and they were using solid fuel then.

I have two questions -
- did 1980s Britain really have this level of anti-terror legislation? (supplemental question: wasn't this prior to everything being "world's gone mad" and all H&S being categorised as "political correctness"?). Surely we were all still enjoying lazy sexism and racism prior to the revolution of transpararent fairness arriving at our doorsteps (before being quickly bundled up into "woke" so we could hate that again and go back to normal).
- why have you left it 40 years to vent your frustration?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:08 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:08 am Sloppy legislation. The final nail in the coffin of Mamod model steam engines was.....

I had a (new) Mamod steam engine in about 1981, and they were using solid fuel then.

I have two questions -
- did 1980s Britain really have this level of anti-terror legislation? (supplemental question: wasn't this prior to everything being "world's gone mad" and all H&S being categorised as "political correctness"?). Surely we were all still enjoying lazy sexism and racism prior to the revolution of transpararent fairness arriving at our doorsteps (before being quickly bundled up into "woke" so we could hate that again and go back to normal).
- why have you left it 40 years to vent your frustration?
Because it was only in 2023 that the hexamine tablets required a licence.

Hexamine fuel tablets
Hexamine fuel tablets have been banned in the UK since October 2023 because the chemicals in the tablets could be used to make explosives. Hobbyists need a license to own the product, and can purchase one from the government website for around £40. Licenses are valid for three years.
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:13 pm Because it was only in 2023 that the hexamine tablets required a licence.
Thank God I sold my Mamod about 20 years ago (when it became clear my sons weren't remotely interested :( ).

A friend has one on top of his kitchen cabinets as an ornament - I might tell him about this infringement of his civil liberties to see if that rile him up. (He is a Paddy though, so he's probably already had his terrorism equipment forcibly removed).
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

"Reply All" as the standard response to an e-mail with a loooong distribution list. You should be replying to the originator alone, most of us have no fcuking idea who you are, nor do we care why you are 'special'. I have just had 23 e-mails of which only one, the original, was relevant.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!