Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by gremlin »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:54 pm A long boring drawn out Sunday can last forever
I believe it was the interminable boredom of Sundays, before the shops were allowed to open, that inspired Bono to pen U2's hit song.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

A new staff member arrived at the campsite last weekend. A very pleasant Dutch lady. We've spent most of the week together, we even went out for lunch on my KTM. It's been really nice having her around, nice to have a conversation for a change.

Sadly she's just left to go to her next job :(
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Not so much wound up but just a fact I heard on Radio 4 today that saddened me somewhat.
In 1975 some Californian swimmers beat a baby whale to death, thinking it was a shark after watching Jaws.

Can't find any links though.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:51 pm Not so much wound up but just a fact I heard on Radio 4 today that saddened me somewhat.
In 1975 some Californian swimmers beat a baby whale to death, thinking it was a shark after watching Jaws.

Can't find any links though.
The figures for the drop in the shark population were pretty :( too.

(I like the comment about 'shark infested waters' - 'That's where they live, where are they supposed to be? It should be human infested waters').
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Going out to eat with my sister and nephew and walking past some very nice restaurants because nephew only eats chicken nuggets when he's out. He's nearly 18 FFS.

On the subject of fussy eaters, wife's vegan brother and his wife will be visiting in October. The food here is excellent, anything you want is locally produced but is it vegan? I'd rather eat this heavily processed crap of unknown origin along with these supplements because my diet is so bad I can't get anywhere near enough nutrients to survive. I fucking hate vegans.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

As Vegetarian and veganism became more popular, I felt there was more effort being put into their food than meat based cooking and really enjoyed some of the veggie offerings in restaurants. But as you say, its now some of the worse ultra processed shit out there. Food industry mugging everyone off again! :roll:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mrs D stopped being Vegan just as it really started taking off. She was vegan for >10 years.

It used go be quite hard but now it's a piece of piss, certainly around here anyway.

As above, some of the best reataurant food I've had has been veggie or vegan. IMO chefs get lazy with meat, take that crutch away and they have to show some skill. The good ones anyway :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:24 am
As above, some of the best reataurant food I've had has been veggie or vegan. IMO chefs get lazy with meat, take that crutch away and they have to show some skill. The good ones anyway :obscene-birdiedoublered:
At the posh nosh lunch last week our visitor/guest had the veggie/vegan whatever main. It was very well presented and all the trimmings looked spot on. However, at the heart of it all was the now ubiquitous 'hispi' cabbage*. Basically, half a pointed/sweetheart cabbage that I think had been steamed to the al dente stage then blasted with a lot of heat (pan fried?) on the cut side to give a bit of colour. So, half a cabbage as the centrepiece for just a smidge less £ than my sea bass.

(My tomato salad with green peas and burrata starter was :thumbup: ).

* this fancy restaurant naming of supermarket ingredients BMP.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I do love a well charred cabbage TBF :D

This is one of the most delicious mid week meals I've had from Gousto, meat or otherwise. I'd order this in a restaurant over a lot of meat offerings.

https://www.gousto.co.uk/cookbook/recip ... ssa-orange
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:26 am I do love a well charred cabbage TBF :D

This is one of the most delicious mid week meals I've had from Gousto, meat or otherwise. I'd order this in a restaurant over a lot of meat offerings.

https://www.gousto.co.uk/cookbook/recip ... ssa-orange
Me too and that looks pretty much like what they served up at The Petersham! Who'da thunkit, they serve Gousto! :lol:

(Half a cabbage rather overfaced our chum though. She's got the physique of a stick insect :D ).
Voltaire
Jody

Post by Jody »

Pirahna wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:06 am Going out to eat with my sister and nephew and walking past some very nice restaurants because nephew only eats chicken nuggets when he's out. He's nearly 18 FFS.

On the subject of fussy eaters, wife's vegan brother and his wife will be visiting in October. The food here is excellent, anything you want is locally produced but is it vegan? I'd rather eat this heavily processed crap of unknown origin along with these supplements because my diet is so bad I can't get anywhere near enough nutrients to survive. I fucking hate vegans.
One of the (many) things that I don't understand about parents. Why do they let fussy eating develop? and it must develop, kids don't just wake up one day as fussy eaters??

I recall several years ago my at my friends house, with their new baby just a few weeks old. He wouldn't eat the savory baby food jar they'd just opened and the mothers response was " Give him one of the dessert jars instead ".

A childcare manager once told me " I don't eat anything green ". I resisted the urge to reply "being as you are a manager, with many inexperienced young staff looking up to you, don't you think it's time you grew out of such a ridiculous standpoint". Although I wish I had as over the coming weeks more and more childcare staff decided that they too had a dietary 'condition' which could not be broken.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Jody wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:19 pm
Pirahna wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:06 am Going out to eat with my sister and nephew and walking past some very nice restaurants because nephew only eats chicken nuggets when he's out. He's nearly 18 FFS.

One of the (many) things that I don't understand about parents. Why do they let fussy eating develop? and it must develop, kids don't just wake up one day as fussy eaters??
We have a regular guest, he's due here Thursday.
All he ever eats is basic pizza, chips and bread. Nothing else.

His parents forced food down him as a kid and now hates everything they gave him.
Jody

Post by Jody »

Yorick wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:37 pm

His parents forced food down him as a kid and now hates everything they gave him.
So you're saying that the parents actions caused his eating 'condition' :obscene-drinkingcheers:

If you give a mammal 2 plates of food, one nice and one not. They will eat the nice one first. If you leave the not so nice one out too, eventually they will eat it.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The thing that I find hard to understand is, up there ^^^ we're talking about adults who eg 'won't eat anything green' or 'only pizza, chips and bread'. Phobias, OK, that's one thing but these adults are supposed to be grown, rational beings and yet they persist with such stupidity and claim 'conditioning'. If you don't like the taste of something, fine, but there's an awful lot of 'somethings' they're excluding from their diet.

I'll never understand humans however long I'm on this strange planet. :D

(I ate, heartily, what was served up at home when I was a kid but that helped me recognise that pastry wasn't supposed to be grey, mash wasn't supposed to have solid lumps in and veg shouldn't be boiled to purée when I suffered school 'dinners'. :lol: When I went to Uni the only curry I'd had previously was Vesta but everyone seemed to be tucking into their keemas etc so the little grey cells said 'they're enjoying it so get stuck in').
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Jody wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:41 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:37 pm

So you're saying that the parents actions caused his eating 'condition' :obscene-drinkingcheers:

If you give a mammal 2 plates of food, one nice and one not. They will eat the nice one first. If you leave the not so nice one out too, eventually they will eat it.
He's mid 50s, very intelligent and I believe him.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Could be he's autistic.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Jody

Post by Jody »

We have several bins here at the campsite, as you'd expect, there's some for Recycling, some for glass, a compost bin and some for general waste.

The general waste bins often end up full before the recycling ones. But I can literally hear the chinking of glass as people try to force their general waste bags into the already full bins.

FFS if you just spent half a minute sorting your rubbish, this wouldn't happen !!
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:54 pm The thing that I find hard to understand is, up there ^^^ we're talking about adults who eg 'won't eat anything green' or 'only pizza, chips and bread'. Phobias, OK, that's one thing but these adults are supposed to be grown, rational beings and yet they persist with such stupidity and claim 'conditioning'. If you don't like the taste of something, fine, but there's an awful lot of 'somethings' they're excluding from their diet.
My brummie mate was like that. Lived on shit most of his life, type 2 by early 50's, had a stroke on his 71st birthday and took 4 months of degrading humiliation to die.
I keep telling people that your body is a very complex machine, and if you put the best fuel in it it Will go far better than if you fill it with crap!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 2:54 pm The thing that I find hard to understand is, up there ^^^ we're talking about adults who eg 'won't eat anything green' or 'only pizza, chips and bread'. Phobias, OK, that's one thing but these adults are supposed to be grown, rational beings and yet they persist with such stupidity and claim 'conditioning'. If you don't like the taste of something, fine, but there's an awful lot of 'somethings' they're excluding from their diet.

I
His dad beat the shit out of him. That affects your whole life.

I know, my dad beat the shit out of me. He made me eat food I hated until I was sick. Then hit me.

Best not to judge if you can't identify properly.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'll never understand humans however long I'm on this strange planet. :D

(I ate, heartily, what was served up at home when I was a kid but that helped me recognise that pastry wasn't supposed to be grey, mash wasn't supposed to have solid lumps in and veg shouldn't be boiled to purée when I suffered school 'dinners'. :lol: When I went to Uni the only curry I'd had previously was Vesta but everyone seemed to be tucking into their keemas etc so the little grey cells said 'they're enjoying it so get stuck in').
I was made to eat food I disliked/hated/made me feel bad - albeit without any physical penalty. But I spent a lot of years learning that actually, most of the food I hated because of my childhood could actually be cooked in a different way and it could be really lovely!

The only things I still struggle with are beans. But if I'm served a meal that has beans in it, I will either eat it or I'll leave the beans to the side (if they aren't the main ingredient).

If someone asks if there's anything I don't eat I do say beans, but not to worry cos I can manage them if they are in a dish (as long as I don't chew them! LOL )

But, a lot of eating issues are due to how children at taught to eat. And then as adults, if they feel ok with trying to overcome the conditioning (physical or mental) or if it is 'easier' mentally to eat what they eat and just get on with it!

I do struggle watching parents/kids at feeding time tho. Sometimes it's heartbreaking because you can see the issues that will come along in the future :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: