In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Felix

Re: In todays news...

Post by Felix »

weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:11 pm
Those little dozen or so posts made me cringe, laugh and almost cry all at once.

Over on another forum there's discussions about coffee machines, beard waxing, you know all that hipster middle class bollox... then the 'working man' on here gets slammed for going on a cruise... even though they've probably spent more on the cruise than most of you lot have on their motorbikes. But being 'British' and more accurately 1980s British, is now very much frowned upon on here it seems... All far far too superior for that.
If tying a knot in the corners of a hanky and sticking it on my head while sitting on a deckchair on a pebbled beach was my thing ill do it and to fuck what folk think.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:11 pm
Felix wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:38 pm Seems ok to judge people for going to tacky holiday resorts in Spain to eat egg and chips and play bingo. Anyone for a bit Karaoke?
Those little dozen or so posts made me cringe, laugh and almost cry all at once.

Over on another forum there's discussions about coffee machines, beard waxing, you know all that hipster middle class bollox... then the 'working man' on here gets slammed for going on a cruise... even though they've probably spent more on the cruise than most of you lot have on their motorbikes. But being 'British' and more accurately 1980s British, is now very much frowned upon on here it seems... All far far too superior for that.
You should identify as female, book a cruise, suggest voting Tory and say a kind word about rich people, you'd piss off nine out of every ten people that post here :lol:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

There's a fair amount of curmudgeon, trolling and oneupmanship on here to be sure.

I'm unashamedly snobby about working-man type pleasures. But similarly there are folk who must smirk at me wasting my money on my shitty bikes, cars and guitars - I'm a caricature of a middle-aged low-rent hipster, if that's what you want to call it. If they're drinking their cava and laffing at me from the Admiral's lounge on their Med cruise, then good luck to them.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mrs D actually said she wants to go, and I quote, "on a shit British holiday to Spain" :lol:

She's never been on one cause her parents were hard up when she was a kid*. I was semi for it, saves a few quid and the 6 year baby D likes shit stuff in the way all 6 year olds do.

She's changed her mind now FWIW, not because of me I should point out. We're going to Denmark instead cause that's basically the same thing :hmmm:

*Having dealt with their estates post mortem we know this was bollox BTW. They displayed that even more British trait; being tight
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I had a week in Benidorm a couple of months back, I thought it was great and I don't even own a tracksuit.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I usually start and finish my holidays with a short cruise in the Hebrides.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:34 pm I usually start and finish my holidays with a short cruise in the Hebrides.
CalMac does not have the best reputation as a cruise line. Bit down market. :D
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Au contraire, this is one of their ex fleet: https://www.hebridean.co.uk/hebridean-princess/
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:28 pm I had a week in Benidorm a couple of months back, I thought it was great and I don't even own a tracksuit.
I've been to Benidorm, Magaluf, some terrible resorts in Tererife, also (by accident) a Saga holiday whilst still in my 20s.

I didn't 'hate' any of them. I don't care to repeat any of them, although I concede Benidorm isn't necessarily as bad as it's cracked up to be. One of my favourite places (Albufeira in Portugal) has some downright godawful ropey areas but I'll definitely be back there soon. Most of these places that are shitole's have some redeeming features - often the crap parts are just a short Ubering from the posh parts. But yeah I'm not being trapped on a cruise.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

cheb wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:47 pm Au contraire, this is one of their ex fleet: https://www.hebridean.co.uk/hebridean-princess/
And don’t forget their future fleet!

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:47 pm

I've been to Benidorm, Magaluf, some terrible resorts in Tererife,
Well....

I've been to Nice and the Isle of Greece
When I sipped champagne on a yacht
I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo
And showed them what I've got

But I've never been to Benidorm. :cry:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

cheb wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:34 pm I usually start and finish my holidays with a short cruise in the Hebrides.
I've had many a cruise across the North Sea on the old roll on, roll off, roll over, thankfully there was a bar to help with the boredom.
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe…
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've been on a submarine,
There wasn't much to be seen,
There was shelter from the rain,
But I wouldn't do it again.
Honda Owner
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I'm off tomorrow for a couple of days in Bozburun. Why not.

In January I'll be taking a couple of days cruise down the Mekong River and a bit later a couple of days on a plush looking boat in Halong Bay (this one: https://www.halongbaytours.com/cruise/s ... ights.html)

I've no wish to spend any more than a couple of days on a big boat after doing a trip to Denmark a long time ago on the RFA Sir Bedevere. I'm not that keen on doing the Halong Bay cruise but M is insistent (and has booked it). Apparently we can do a bit of kayaking as well so it's maybe not so bad.

I've enjoyed my last 3 holidays to be honest but they sure as shit weren't Benidorm.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Benidorm is an hours drive from my house, I keep meaning to go but haven't got around to it yet.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:10 pm Benidorm is an hours drive from my house, I keep meaning to go but haven't got around to it yet.
Where's our invitation?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:11 pm
Pirahna wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:10 pm Benidorm is an hours drive from my house, I keep meaning to go but haven't got around to it yet.
Where's our invitation?
You wouldn't like it here, it's great for a bit of XC and road biking but the nearest beach is 45 minutes away at Alicante.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:36 pm
Greenman wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:06 pm
My saying of 'if you watch the news you're bound to lose' has never been more relevant!
You've never watched Have I Got News For You, have you? :D
Stop being right...;) :lol:

I do enjoy a bit of HIGNFY.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:23 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:11 pm
Where's our invitation?
You wouldn't like it here, it's great for a bit of XC and road biking but the nearest beach is 45 minutes away at Alicante.
I don't do beaches.