In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: In todays news...

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:00 pm But if everyone adopted that attitude Hitler would have triumphed.

Invaded Poland? Doesnt affect me.
Invaded Belgium? Doesnt affect me.
Invaded Holland? ditto
Invaded France? "

By the time stuff like that does affect you personaly it is far too late.
It's a reasonable argument yes, from nearly 100 years ago though. I get now we'd use Putin etc to prove the point.

But fortunately for you/them, I'm not everybody. Harsh as it sounds, even things like the war in Ukraine, I struggle to get worked up about it. There's other wars in less developed countries, but they don't make the news. Do they somehow mean less? Mmmmm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _conflicts
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:00 pm But if everyone adopted that attitude Hitler would have triumphed.

Invaded Poland? Doesnt affect me.
Invaded Belgium? Doesnt affect me.
Invaded Holland? ditto
Invaded France? "

By the time stuff like that does affect you personaly it is far too late.
Now everyone* would 'tut tut' about it on social media and feel they'd 'done something'.

* Almost. There would of course be those that would say 'Fair enough, 'e dunt mess about dunt Adolf, Poland wuz corrupt anyroad'. Or 'It's all orchestrated by the banks/big pharma/Bill Gates/....'
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

All the wars matter, but ones close to home matter even more.

That is why, IMO, we need a strong military and we need to be prepared to use them when necessary, either as peacekeepers or to repel boarders. Sometimes we may even need to intervene on one side, but, again IMO, we need to be bloody carefull with that and remember Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:09 pm
Now everyone* would 'tut tut' about it on social media and feel they'd 'done something'
True. :cry:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:12 pm All the wars matter, but ones close to home matter even more.

That is why, IMO, we need a strong military and we need to be prepared to use them when necessary, either as peacekeepers or to repel boarders. Sometimes we may even need to intervene on one side, but, again IMO, we need to be bloody carefull with that and remember Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
That's a bit harsh, some of those foreign students bring in a lot of money.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:53 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:12 pm All the wars matter, but ones close to home matter even more.

That's a bit harsh, some of those foreign students bring in a lot of money.
There was a big punch up between Kuwaiti & Iraqi students at Sawston College the night Saddam's invasion kicked off.
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:29 pm
I even laugh at the pension thread with all the discussions, but 99.9% of people can't or won't do a lot about it.
"Mine has dropped" yeah, so has all of ours, but wtf can you do about it?
Part of my reasons for posting is to have a whinge. But also to try encourage others, that's younger others, to take an interest (pun intended) on where their money is and what's likely to happen with it.

I was, perhaps, naive and shouldn't have trusted the experts so much. Others have options.
I don't expect many to agree but as far as I go I use a logic
1. Does it directly affect me?
2. If yes, can I actually do anything about it?
See above, for:
1. If you have pension savings, then maybe
2. Up to you
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

In the killer nurse case, I don’t understand why the suspicious doctors didn’t tell the Police immediately.

I think it leaves a lot on their conscience.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Corporate manslaughter comes to mind.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:21 pm
I was, perhaps, naive and shouldn't have trusted the experts so much. Others have options.
I completely get that, but arguably that's why they're experts. It's getting off track of course, but it's a decent discussion that got slightly lost due to this place, well, being this place
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Ant wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:53 pm Corporate manslaughter comes to mind.
Maybe, but it’s reported as doctors suspecting she was murdering babies, so they went to the management about it, not the Police.
Ant

Post by Ant »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:45 pm
Maybe, but it’s reported as doctors suspecting she was murdering babies, so they went to the management about it, not the Police.
Yes, then the management did what?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

This Mason Greenwood thing upsets me. All charges were dropped. The club then did a 6 months investigation to find more info
They concluded that he did nothing wrong, but made a few unwise decisions

Then loads of female groups decided he was a scumbag and the club had to give in.

Poor fucker. I know there's no smoke without fire, but his life has been wrecked by the allegations, then by his club sacking him.

If the claims were false, the complainant(s) should be prosecuted..

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66554874
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Ant wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:45 pm
Yes, then the management did what?
Bad things.

If you thought someone was killing people, who would you tell? Middle management? HR?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Or the Pleece?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yorick wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 pm This Mason Greenwood thing upsets me. All charges were dropped. The club then did a 6 months investigation to find more info
They concluded that he did nothing wrong, but made a few unwise decisions

Then loads of female groups decided he was a scumbag and the club had to give in.

Poor fucker. I know there's no smoke without fire, but his life has been wrecked by the allegations, then by his club sacking him.

If the claims were false, the complainant(s) should be prosecuted..

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66554874
It has shades of the Jimmy Saviles about it. Lots of claims he did something. Some reasonable evidence he did something. No conviction.

Bring him back in and the accusations would run and run, and it would be disruptive. Protests and constant booing, tabloid mania. Loads of opportunities for him to be provoked into something unwise, smiling or celebrating a goal for example, let alone telling journalists to do one. As a business decision binning him makes sense.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:04 pm
It's a reasonable argument yes, from nearly 100 years ago though. I get now we'd use Putin etc to prove the point.

But fortunately for you/them, I'm not everybody. Harsh as it sounds, even things like the war in Ukraine, I struggle to get worked up about it. There's other wars in less developed countries, but they don't make the news. Do they somehow mean less? Mmmmm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _conflicts
I agree, it's cherry picking wars to froth about because it suits their bias, I've often pointed out that whilst they're frothing about a few people being killed, many more are being butchered or staving to death somewhere else.

My comment about Ukraine was that I don't care any more about it than I do Somalia, which turned out to be poetic when less than a page later I seem to be in a disagreement with a chap who is frothing about Ethiopians - not because of what is actually happening in Ethiopia, that appears to be a blind spot, but it's because some of them apparently got shot trying to illegally break into another country.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Oh, I don't agree with your point about the pension thread though, that's different, you CAN do something about it and you should, not knowing how is the problem and I think genuinely a few of us were just trying to pass on what we've learned. I do it provocatively sometimes, but c'est la vie.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:30 am I do it provocatively sometimes, but c'est la vie.
That's the problem though isn't it... You do it in a particular way, so do a few others, then the rest of us are sitting here being made to feel like arseholes with no more knowledge other than "you should know how to do it better" and "i've done great, i've got loads of money"....Meanwhile 99% of us have pensions which are dropping/dropped currently without any other real knowledge of how to do anything about it. So it ends up in the usual situation where the wealthy ones tell us they're better than the rest and the rest sit thinking "wankers"