The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

If anyone is still paying close attention you'll recall I swapped the main pivot bearings on the purple bike a few weeks ago.
I was moving the primary blue race bike round the garage to hang it up for a week or two. "Hmmm is that play somewhere" I think to myself.
5 minutes later I've traced it to the same pivot bearings, they're also the same ones I replaced on Nathan's bike in Fort William for him.
Let's just say, they feel as bad as they look.

Image2023-05-22_06-23-20 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2023-05-22_06-23-02 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2023-05-22_06-23-15 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2023-05-22_06-23-08 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

One was pretty much 0 movement, the other was slightly better but horrible.

Now replaced with expensive Enduro bearings.

Just need to throw it all back together
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Beancounter wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:37 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:24 pm
:shock: The word catapulted springs to mind.
Last year's was way way higher and longer. But we didn't video.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Looked at his brakes. Mmmm not the best pads in them.

Image2023-05-22_08-26-31 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Out with the old, in with the new and a bleed. Checked and cleaned all pistons and all moving nicely.

Still not sure what will be getting bought to replace Hopes yet. Or whether they'll go in the box of spares and just leave these Codes on.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Eject eject eject!
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

That made me feel bad!

I know I don't cycle, there's good reasons for that!! But I can see a moto accident and yes, it's shocking but 9/10 guys get up and walk away - little to no damage. It's shocking in a different way.

The reason cycle accidents make me feel so shocked/scared/'aaaaaargh' is that there's so little protection!! I know you guys all love it and that's awesome! I can see the passion in photos and when I read what you all write.

I really do have the hugest respect and admiration for anyone that does road racing and especially downhill madness on cycles! It's incredible. I wish I had the bottle for it as the 'buzz' must be amazing!

Go Weeksy08! So so glad he was able to get up and do race 2 :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

he does wear a Full Face which is mandatory for DH racing, along with armour

But they honestly do make DH racers out of a different mould to some people, the mindset is different, dedication is different... They're not 'normal' in some ways.
Luckily for us though he's still very normal outside of this realm :)

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:06 am he does wear a Full Face which is mandatory for DH racing, along with armour

But they honestly do make DH racers out of a different mould to some people, the mindset is different, dedication is different... They're not 'normal' in some ways.
Luckily for us though he's still very normal outside of this realm :)

TBF, it's rarely the head I worry about when I watch my mates (and they are not in WeeksyJr's league!)!! I've had a good look at some of the full face helmets. It's the rest of the body - and the fact that the trails have so much natural 'furniture', lots being worse (to me) than road furniture!!!

But, as you say, it's the mindset and how they are built - like TT racers! Actually, that is a good equivalent in my brain - that's the only bike racing that gets the same reaction from me to a crash as the reaction I had seeing WJr get chucked over the bars!!

Freaking awesome though. I do read all the posts about him, can't always watch the videos!! :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Regarding his helmet, he has the best money can buy :) Well, almost

https://troyleedesigns.co.uk/collection ... white-blue

It's not the carbon one i guess.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:33 am that's the only bike racing that gets the same reaction from me to a crash as the reaction I had seeing WJr get chucked over the bars!!

this is the most entertaining one :)
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:59 am
Noggin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:33 am that's the only bike racing that gets the same reaction from me to a crash as the reaction I had seeing WJr get chucked over the bars!!

this is the most entertaining one :)
I've given it a like, but not sure that's entirely appropriate ? Looked like a big one and fair do's that he wanted to carry on :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nordboy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:51 pm I've given it a like, but not sure that's entirely appropriate ? Looked like a big one and fair do's that he wanted to carry on :thumbup:
That one was last winter, arsing about and a collar bone break... But wasn't totally different to this weekends, but a better outcome this weekend.

We'll see if he's up for coaching tomorrow, but he certainly seems to be OK with a bit of MTFU
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cracking pix on Instagram. Did you take 'em Weeksy?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:33 pm
Beancounter wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:37 pm
:shock: The word catapulted springs to mind.
Last year's was way way higher and longer. But we didn't video.
Was the bike ok? ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:27 pm Cracking pix on Instagram. Did you take 'em Weeksy?
Nah mate, they have photo people at the events. They're amateurs only but put them up on https://www.rootsandrain.com/

You then buy them for a fiver or so.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:50 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:27 pm Cracking pix on Instagram. Did you take 'em Weeksy?
Nah mate, they have photo people at the events. They're amateurs only but put them up on https://www.rootsandrain.com/

You then buy them for a fiver or so.
Well, they may be amateur but they're pretty good! :thumbup: Amid all the action shots I particularly liked the 4th one where they're riding back (I guess?). Not sure why, but it's sort of 'after the battle is done'. Lol. They're probably on their way to the start. :D

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That one was Mrs Weeksy
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I tested and bedded in the new pads on the Codes today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165718795447 ... R_Cqp6WJYg

They're Uberbike race matrix. By jeezy they're impressive! The thing stops fantasticall!!! Wow.

He's out on Privateer tomorrow so won't be able to test fully, but I'm impressed!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The coaching continued last night, another long arse drive to FoD, but he gets SO much out of it so we don't mind, although one day we may get a clean run with traffic. He was working last night on trail speed with Katy, not braking, working out where he's braking and why, then working out where he can not brake instead.
We had a bit of a chat with her afterwards as to where and what and why in terms of development, progress and what's coming up for them. It was most enlightening and i'm excited for the next few months of it.

Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Looks fast!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:04 amLooks fast!
They're getting there.... to us normal mortals they're stupid fast... but to the STUPID fast, they're not fast enough. But there are plans coming into place to resolve that issue :) , something came up yesterday which i've been curious about for a little while, that both the lads are exactly the same speed. I mean we're talking on a 4 minute track they'll always finish within 1s of eachother, either way.
Is that a coincidence... We/Katy doesn't think so, they train together, lap together, ride together, is it a shock they're finishing together, probably not. I brought it up with the boy a couple of weeks back, but it was interesting Katy has also picked up on it and is now putting plans in place to find the next level, whether one of them or both of them can progress to that, we don't know yet of course. It's getting to where little things make the differences and we're not looking to pick up 10s on a 2 mins course now, but 3s on a 4 mins course, it's details rather than chunks.

The kid who won their class at the weekend George Madley, he races for Madison Saracen and therefore trains, rides, races with people like Matt Walker (overall WC winner in 2021), is it a coincidence that George has upped his game since signing for Saracen....i somehow don't think so.