Food that everyone else raves about, but you just can't stomach.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Saga Lout

Re: Food that everyone else raves about, but you just can't stomach.

Post by Saga Lout »

Tofu. I don't think everyone else raves about it but I'd happily throw it on the bus*.
Oh, and champagne. I'd much rather have a pint of bitter.

* You know, the bus that's heading for the cliff edge and who do you want to be on it? That bus.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

OLIVES!!! OMG, how could I forget just how disgusting I find OLIVES!! Any colour, jars of or 'nice' ones from the market!!

I've spent years buying the nice versions from the market for my mum and sis and G'ma (when she was alive) - they bloody love olives. For me they make me want to vomit!!

But I'd go shopping for the stuffed ones cos apparently that makes them even better. Every time the people on the market stall would try and get me to try one. Every time it was disgusting. In the end I pointed out that the last visit when I'd been persuaded, I hadn't had a tissue with me and ended up going around the back of the stall (behind the tent wall) to spit the olive out, so PLEASE would they stop trying to make me like the bastard little things!!

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

However, like the beans/chickpeas thing, it has to be texture over flavour as I do rather like a green olive tapenade :? :? :?

Very weird. But, maybe I am!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Skub wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:20 pm MacDonald 'food' of any kind. It would need to be a matter of life or death before I'd eat that gunk. It smells like deep fried,wet cardboard,but tastes much worse. I've only ever tried once,took one bite and threw it in the bin. Hunger was preferable.

Add baked beanz and tomato sauce to that list.
Actually it smells EXACTLY like gas gangrene.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:59 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:30 pm
Whitstable too. I had them in The Sportsman down in Seasalter, when I took Mrs. G for a romantic lunch. As it's just down the road we took a lovely stroll back to Whitstable along the coastal path, whereupon I farted and shat myself. Again. :oops:

Bloody shellfish! :thumbdown:
Genuine LOL! :lol: :clap:
Ditto :)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

My sis worked for McD's after she left school, ended up as the manager of the first one on the I.o.W. She did that for a while then went to work of the Inland Revenue.

Does the UK not have Carl's Jr/Hardees? Their burgers are fucking epic, especially the "limited time only" deals like the 1/2lb El Diablo or SteakHouse. In fact, as I'm home alone & unsupervised I may pop out for an El Diablo later :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:35 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:18 pm Do Subway do hot food? I've never been in a UK one (we didn't have them here when I did buy food in one, it's a few years ago). All I remember is choose your own fillings for a 'sub' sandwich. It was rather good tbh.
They will toast your sandwich if you want them to, I quite like Subway, you get a big sandwich full of salad and tuna for £3.
I had Subway at least twice a week in UK in last few years before I came here.

Also have no problems with McDonald's.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Noggin wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:06 am OLIVES!!! OMG, how could I forget just how disgusting I find OLIVES!! Any colour, jars of or 'nice' ones from the market!!

I detest the green ones, the bigger they are, the more stuffed they are, the more I don't like

However black ones, preferably with stones and 'confit' (and with the salt kept to a minimum because that's just lazy, and most are salted enough to kill you) well those ones are fookin lovely.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:46 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:06 am OLIVES!!! OMG, how could I forget just how disgusting I find OLIVES!! Any colour, jars of or 'nice' ones from the market!!

I detest the green ones, the bigger they are, the more stuffed they are, the more I don't like

However black ones, preferably with stones and 'confit' (and with the salt kept to a minimum because that's just lazy, and most are salted enough to kill you) well those ones are fookin lovely.
Greek Kalamata (stone in, in olive oil) FTW. :thumbup: Sainsbury do them. When the jar's empty I drain the clear oil off and use it when I need particularly olive-y olive oil. The jars have got smaller in recent months but a friend who lives in Greece brought me a biggish can one year. Nom.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Ian

Post by Ian »

Truffles. Tastes like diesel to me, I know its 50/50 whether you get the diesel flavour but its goppin' if you are one of the unlucky half.

OTOH I love the taste of Parmesan (50% smell baby vomit) and love smell of Hawthorne (50% get the smell of corpses allegedly) but I get a marzipan smell.
Ian

Post by Ian »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:19 am Pah. Get through a plate of surströmming and then come back and call me a fanny. :P

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

It was as rank as it sounds, and fuck me, the stench..... :sick:
Lutefisk is supposed to be pretty 'interesting' too, especially on the way out so I'm told :sick:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ian wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:04 pm Truffles. Tastes like diesel to me, I know its 50/50 whether you get the diesel flavour but its goppin' if you are one of the unlucky half.

OTOH I love the taste of Parmesan (50% smell baby vomit) and love smell of Hawthorne (50% get the smell of corpses allegedly) but I get a marzipan smell.
Ooh. Parmesan. I scoop it out the dish with a spoon.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Ian wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:04 pm Truffles. Tastes like diesel to me, I know its 50/50 whether you get the diesel flavour but its goppin' if you are one of the unlucky half.
My Dad always describes various foods as tasting like battery acid, I'm always forced to wonder how he knows what battery acid tastes like :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Not everyone raves about this but nowhere else have I seen a large group of people pile into a piece of fruit with such desire as I did in a Malaysian village.
Durian Fruit.

It smells like death and decay, I can't remember the taste.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:00 am Not everyone raves about this but nowhere else have I seen a large group of people pile into a piece of fruit with such desire as I did in a Malaysian village.
Durian Fruit.

It's banned on numerous airlines and in hotels. It really does smell of decaying corpses. If you can get it past your nose it's supposed to be delish. I didn't get one past my nose. :lol:
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:04 am
Mussels wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:00 am Not everyone raves about this but nowhere else have I seen a large group of people pile into a piece of fruit with such desire as I did in a Malaysian village.
Durian Fruit.

It's banned on numerous airlines and in hotels. It really does smell of decaying corpses. If you can get it past your nose it's supposed to be delish. I didn't get one past my nose. :lol:
It smells like a gas leak - really strong sulphur. But like rind washed cheeses - it is nothing like how it smells. I quite liked it
Skub

Post by Skub »

See,I don't quite understand that. Largely,what you smell is what you taste.....
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:19 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:04 am
Durian...

It smells like a gas leak - really strong sulphur. But like rind washed cheeses - it is nothing like how it smells. I quite liked it
Ah, mercaptans. Useless bit of info #387, they have to add them to natural gas so that it smells of something. ('Town gas' used to smell of it anyway). They could have made it smell of roses. :D
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My boss's wife works for SSE on trial hydrogen domestic supply. They've been going through loads of stuff to work out what it should smell like...like "normal" gas cause people already know it or like something else? But if something else, it's gotta be distinctive and there aren't many available smells which are fairly unique and which stand out!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:09 pm My boss's wife works for SSE on trial hydrogen domestic supply. They've been going through loads of stuff to work out what it should smell like...like "normal" gas cause people already know it or like something else? But if something else, it's gotta be distinctive and there aren't many available smells which are fairly unique and which stand out!
I can produce a whole range of smells that are unique and stand out just by eating a creamy curry.
Honda Owner
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I don't think truffle tastes like diesel, but I do think it's way overrated, and tastes musty. Way to ruin chips 😆

Another one here for the fish/seafood dislike/intolerance. I'm not quite at Gremlin levels, but it does exit pretty rapidly 😶 I think prawns and scampi aren't so bad, but I try to avoid it all to be on the safe side

Oh, here's an unpopular one: nuts. I'll eat them to be polite, but I don't get why people like them. And peanuts are particularly rank - I won't eat them to be polite 😆