Palace racism row

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Bwana

Re: Palace racism row

Post by Bwana »

Noggin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:22 pm
Felix wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:12 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63819482
Cheers - I'd thought it was HRHwife!

Reading what the offended woman says was the 'transcript', she really could have know what an old lady meant and answered differently to start with. But I guess she wanted to make a point. She's getting the name of the charity out there more and got herself on TV!!

The thing about the older lady touching her hair - that is an old lady thing. They don't understand modern boundaries that we now have.

Bit of a mountain of a molehill, no?
A friend of mine was taken to China with her parents as a graduation gift. She's six foot tall blonde haired & blue eyed. In her travels around the country a fair number of locals wanted to touch her hair. She obliged without hesitation.

As far as the topic is concerned, I'll sit on the fence. I'm not sure it's my place to tell another how to be offended or not to be offended.
As far as the use of terms like African American* or Irish American, I'm not bothered by 'em either. How someone wants to be addressed is their concern. I see no reason to not be polite and oblige.

*I assume that's a heritage issue, as in slave ancestry. Out of curiosity, is there an objection, however mild, to French Canadian?
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 pm Pigeons don't even have toes :D

Maybe that's the point.
eh?
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Yorick wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:30 pm

SH: “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”

Ms Fulani: “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.”

Perhaps it should've ended here. Digging further does reveal a bit of ignorance of history.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Bwana wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:59 pm

Perhaps it should've ended here. Digging further does reveal a bit of ignorance of history.
But which one is more ignorant?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:35 am Apparently ...

This week isn’t the first time Lady Susan Hussey’s small talk hasn’t been up to scratch, says Patrick Kidd in The Times. In the early 1990s, Buckingham Palace was asked to host a last-minute reception for a US delegation. “Members of the royal household were scrambled to fill the room” and Lady Susan found herself chatting to a charming visitor. “What do you do for a living?” she asked. “I’m president of the United States of America,” said a slightly surprised George HW Bush.
There are some remarkably ignorant people out there, oft times from leading a very sheltered life. There was some reality shitshow on years ago featuring Paris Hilton & Lionel Ritchie's daughter. Walmart was mentioned one time & PH didn't have the first clue what it was. Around that time I would occasionally work on her grandfathers Beech Staggerwing. Someone mentioned PH in his presence one day & he wasn't exactly happy to hear her name.
I had a mate in the UK from the landed gentry & he was fairly down to earth, but some of the people he was related to or knew would probably starve to death without *staff*, Lady SH sounds like one of them.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Bwana wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:38 pm
A friend of mine was taken to China with her parents as a graduation gift. She's six foot tall blonde haired & blue eyed. In her travels around the country a fair number of locals wanted to touch her hair. She obliged without hesitation.
One of my daughters is a 5'11 ginger.

She had an American tourist call her a "Real Irish Coleen" and try to touch her hair.

She told her to eff off.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I'd like to see the *victim* in this story meet Joe Biden, she'd just love being sniffed by some old white guy.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bwana wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:48 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 pm Pigeons don't even have toes :D

Maybe that's the point.
eh?
Now I have an ear-worm...'they call them digits, technically they're known as the phalanges'. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

She was being awkward because she was recording it on her phone.
She wanted it to get silly.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They've got bendy bits in their feet but I never thought they was toes.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Mussels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:01 pm

That depends upon what you mean by ignorant I suppose. Ms Fulani is ignorant of her family tree due to a lack of record keeping. SH is ignorant of the history that resulted in Ms Fulani's ignorance.
If you're talking of the outrage over the event, I dunno, I don't have an acquaintance with either party.

I can see getting mildly frustrated over the conversation...

SH: Mr. Bwana, that's an odd name, where are you from?
Me: Maryland.
SH: No, Where are you from originally?
Me: Alabama, then Tennessee
SH: Noo, where does your family come from?
Me: Mom's from Iowa, Dad's From Pennsylvania.
SH: No no no, before that.
Me: Mom's side of the family from England, Dad's From Germany.
SH: Can you be more specific?
Me: No.
SH: Oh c'mon now, you must know in great detail, spill it please.
Me: walks away while thinking what an annoying woman she is
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Yorick wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:44 pm

She was being awkward because she was recording it on her phone.
She wanted it to get silly.
She? I assume you mean Fulani was recording it. I'd be inclined to walk away from that conversation as well. I'd not be at all comfortable around royalty as they seem a bit snobbish. Not my cup of tea. I'm not too fond of shit stirrers of that level either. Screw 'em both.
irie

Post by irie »

Reported that Ngozo Fulani's (aka Marlene Headingly) parents emigrated to the UK from Barbados.

https://news.sky.com/story/who-is-ngozi ... e-12759220
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Bwana wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:46 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:01 pm

That depends upon what you mean by ignorant I suppose. Ms Fulani is ignorant of her family tree due to a lack of record keeping. SH is ignorant of the history that resulted in Ms Fulani's ignorance.
If you're talking of the outrage over the event, I dunno, I don't have an acquaintance with either party.

I can see getting mildly frustrated over the conversation...

SH: Mr. Bwana, that's an odd name, where are you from?
Me: Maryland.
SH: No, Where are you from originally?
Me: Alabama, then Tennessee
SH: Noo, where does your family come from?
Me: Mom's from Iowa, Dad's From Pennsylvania.
SH: No no no, before that.
Me: Mom's side of the family from England, Dad's From Germany.
SH: Can you be more specific?
Me: No.
SH: Oh c'mon now, you must know in great detail, spill it please.
Me: walks away while thinking what an annoying woman she is
The kind of ignorance when someone makes up a name to them sound African but doesn't bother to check the areas of ethnic groups the name comes from.
She went all out to pretend she was from Africa and then got offended when someone thought she was from Africa. More likely she got offended when she realised she was caught out as a fraud.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 pm The kind of ignorance when someone makes up a name to them sound African but doesn't bother to check the areas of ethnic groups the name comes from.
She went all out to pretend she was from Africa and then got offended when someone thought she was from Africa. More likely she got offended when she realised she was caught out as a fraud.
And now it's being reported that the origins of the name she picked were well known slave traders.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:58 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 pm The kind of ignorance when someone makes up a name to them sound African but doesn't bother to check the areas of ethnic groups the name comes from.
And now it's being reported that the origins of the name she picked were well known slave traders.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you that dim that you think only one person in Africa would have had that name?
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

irie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:42 pm
Felix wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:12 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63819482
BBC wrote: Ngozi Fulani: Lady Susan Hussey's race comments were abuse, says charity boss
This is about Ngozi Fulani.

https://futurehackney.com/ngozi
Ngozi and Rosanna run @sistahspace in Hackney. A safe space and support network for African and Caribbean heritage women and girls who have suffered domestic or sexual abuse.
This specifically excludes those of non-African or non-Caribbean heritage.
I wonder what the first question would be if a white woman claiming African or Caribbean heritage turned up at their office asking for help?
Obviously not 'where are you from?', given that Ngozi Fulani states that it's a form of abuse. :wtf:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Go back far enough and all our ancestors were from Africa weren't they?
Plus I am just guessing here but didn't slave traders take slaves to the Caribbean to work on plantations?

From what I heard on Radio 4 slaves were deliberately separated from others from the same areas to lessen then talking and working together to escape so many kind of lost their heritage.

Meh, daft old bints words do seem rather more of an interrogation than a conversation but I'm sure the Daily Mail has other ideas.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Hoonercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:14 am
I wonder what the first question would be if a white woman claiming African or Caribbean heritage turned up at their office asking for help?
Obviously not 'where are you from?', given that Ngozi Fulani states that it's a form of abuse. :wtf:

I suspect that there are quite a few organisations like Sistah Space that cater for minority groups of different ethnicity. If they are able to deal or help with the cultural or perhaps religious issues surrounding women suffering domestic abuse then that would be a good thing, I think.

Women may not seek the help they need and deserve if the doors are open to all and everyone. Of course you can shout that it's racist but in reality it's providing help to a section of the community that may not want to get it from other organisations that 'don't understand' all the issues.

There are lots of organisations around that are fairly particular, forces charities, working men's clubs, you name it. I think that this is the one thing that Fulani (not her real name) is doing OK on.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Personally I think Sistah Space is very inclusive...
UNICEF:
Over 13.4 million Americans claim Caribbean heritage (including 10.3 million Americans of Hispanic descent from Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico)