If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Kneerly Down

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Kneerly Down »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:58 pm Nice piece of cherry-picking. Show me your proof for that statistic.
As per Weeksy.

Also, as heard reported on Radio 4 this morning:
- Nearly 5mn people now work in the digital tech economy, up from 2.18mn in 2011
- On average, tech salaries are nearly 80% higher than salaries for non tech jobs in the UK, at £62,000 compared to £35,000 as of Q1 2022

https://technation.io/people-and-skills-report-2022/

...but then I'm an optimist.

Oh, also, the relaxing of rules on reliefs for equity investment following our exit from the EU are likely to be quite game-changing for parts of my region. That'd be made impossible were we to rejoin the EU.
And rather than not getting an Erasmus scheme payment, my son has just got his final Turing scheme payment for his year at uni in Asia. :)
Hoonercat

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Hoonercat »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:08 pm Don't worry about all that zero hours contract bollocks.

As long as we can keep giving that extra £350 million a week to the NHS and sending the buggers back (or to Rwanda) in some sort of belief that gives ourselves and people like us a small and highly debatable advantage, then Brexit is winning. That's before we even get started on the huge farming and fishing benefits I think we've all felt the results of.

Can someone remind me when the Festival of Brexit is again? It's all going so well.
If it's really that bad,why don't you move? Ok, it's a bit (alot) harder to move to EU countries, but you're the Asian Boss :D
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:06 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:04 pm OK, replace 'the majority of' with 'a significant number of' and the rest of my point still stands.

I don't feel the need to validate someone else's assertion. That's their job.
I don't really do politics but no, a 2.8% figure is not a significant number. Not really. It's 2.8%. that's like 97.2% from 100. Lol.

Sure, it's some people but that's it.
It's barely a million people. How insignificant is that? They can keep driving the van for 14 hours a day and pissing in a bottle if it means we can have crowns on pint glasses and different coloured passports. :thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Hoonercat wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:13 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:08 pm Don't worry about all that zero hours contract bollocks.

As long as we can keep giving that extra £350 million a week to the NHS and sending the buggers back (or to Rwanda) in some sort of belief that gives ourselves and people like us a small and highly debatable advantage, then Brexit is winning. That's before we even get started on the huge farming and fishing benefits I think we've all felt the results of.

Can someone remind me when the Festival of Brexit is again? It's all going so well.
If it's really that bad,why don't you move? Ok, it's a bit (alot) harder to move to EU countries, but you're the Asian Boss :D
Because where I do (or don't) live doesn't affect the UK's membership of the EU.Which is what we're talking about.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've worked zero hours contracts when I was much younger and it suited me fine, if I didn't like it I'd find another job but as it happened I was always offered more work than I wanted.
So how many of that 2.8% see it as a problem?
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:13 pm It's barely a million people. How insignificant is that? They can keep driving the van for 14 hours a day and pissing in a bottle if it means we can have crowns on pint glasses and different coloured passports. :thumbup:
Yebbut, it was barely a million people when we were in the EU and it's barely a million people when we're out of the EU.
I'm not sure exactly how much it's got to with us being in the EU (2.8%?) ;)
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Kneerly Down wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:17 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:13 pm It's barely a million people. How insignificant is that? They can keep driving the van for 14 hours a day and pissing in a bottle if it means we can have crowns on pint glasses and different coloured passports. :thumbup:
Yebbut, it was barely a million people when we were in the EU and it's barely a million people when we're out of the EU.
I'm not sure exactly how much it's got to with us being in the EU (2.8%?) ;)

I am also unaware of any link between zero hours contracts and EU membership. I think it may be a misleading tangent.

I do believe however that zero hours contracts are often detrimental to the employee.
irie

Post by irie »

After 6 years you keep playing that broken record. Sheesh.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

irie wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:20 pm

Maybe if people keep saying something for a long time that automatically voids their validity as you suggest.

Just like objections to slavery and Apartheid.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:19 pm I do believe however that zero hours contracts are often detrimental to the employee.
IIRC the CIPD surveyed it and on average ZHC employees were happier with their employment than employees on other types of contract.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:06 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:04 pm OK, replace 'the majority of' with 'a significant number of' and the rest of my point still stands.

I don't feel the need to validate someone else's assertion. That's their job.
I don't really do politics but no, a 2.8% figure is not a significant number. Not really. It's 2.8%. that's like 97.2% from 100. Lol.

Sure, it's some people but that's it.
It's more significant than 2.7%. There is also the question of how these statistics are reported, and by whom. According to the Office for national Statistics (a Government body), the current percentage is 3.1%. Here are recent figures.
ONS.JPG
ONS.JPG (47.54 KiB) Viewed 322 times
By those figures, over a million people are on zero hours contracts. I'm old enough to remember the outrage when unemployment went over 1 million in the Thatcher years. You may think a million people are insignificant, I don't. And when compared to a working population of 30 million (give or take), that's one in 30 people. I call that significant. YMMV.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Kneerly Down wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:23 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:19 pm I do believe however that zero hours contracts are often detrimental to the employee.
IIRC the CIPD surveyed it and on average ZHC employees were happier with their employment than employees on other types of contract.
I'm delighted to hear that and also delighted to alter my view on zero hours contracts. I'm glad they're happy if that is indeed the case. Lovely, happy zero hours contracts.

I'm still not sure if it has any relevance to the UK's EU membership status however.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It's a case of 'pick something in your opponent's position you can contest and thereby try to invalidate the whole argument', methinks.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Are we there yet? :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:51 pm Are we there yet? :lol:
Hell no. Years of this meaningless whining to go yet
irie

Post by irie »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:22 pm
irie wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:20 pm

Maybe if people keep saying something for a long time that automatically voids their validity as you suggest.

Just like objections to slavery and Apartheid.
So in your mind Brexit is equivalent to slavery and Apartheid?

You couldn't make it up. You need help. :)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

So, those benefits?
Maybe I'm in a minority l here but I remember Yellowhammer that became "project fear" that later on became project reality then ended up being"Boris''s fault" but you rivets voted for it.
We all fuckup, accept it and grow better..

Maybe...
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

There is such a thing as a happy idiot.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:10 pm The solution is obvious, redesign the job, and the career path. Yes, shit jobs still need doing, but just as a part of a better whole.
I know you are not a fan of automated vehicles on roads, but if you want to look you'll find that agriculture is a decade ahead.

Google/Youtube 'hands free acre' and 'hands free farm' for just one example, now in about its 5th year.

Part of the reason for this development is a manpower shortage that has nothing to do with Brexit.

In other industries that I work with or am aware of, automation is being introduced, or examined, for many other reasons too, such as safety or productivity.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

A bit off topic but...

Qs? As I understand it, zero hours contracts were no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension agreements. (I realise that some companies may have changed this after pressure was applied).

a) why would the CIPD, which represents the companies not the personnel not be delighted by this? They're not an independent surveyor.

b) if a zero hours contract person goes sick, who pays them? Can they claim anything from the state?

c) if a zero hours contract person ends their working life with an inadequate pension will they get stuff like council tax relief or other support?

I don't know for sure but it seems that it's likely that companies using these arrangements are potentially pushing their costs onto the rest of us. If that's the case they, and their representatives like the CIPD, will have been ordering in jumbo sized tubs of Glee to rub their hands in. What a wheeze!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire