Inflation

Current affairs, Politics, News.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Inflation

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 am Lots of folk say they are skint. They could get evening or weekend work.
Most choose not to.

Hmmm.
They start work leaving the house at 6.30am and get home at 7pm, they've been lifting, digging, moving, spannering, dragging, whatever for 10 hours a day for 5 days a week, and you want them to work more ?

What about seeing their kids, their wives... lol..

Don't forget, even if they have the energy for weekend work, they're on minimum wage delivering pizza, packing envelopes or whatever, they're getting £50 a day after tax, minus their parking/bus/lunch/etc.... So lets call it £35 a day extra... Mmmmmm yeah that'll help them. Another 20 hour weekend for £75-85 quid, meaning they're now working 7 days a week.
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

Not taking out PCP or whatever on that bling motor so you can look minted would be the smart choice, unfortunately there's loads of idiots round my way. At least they can sit and look at it parked in the street (most of them don't have drives) while they can't afford to put fuel in it or heat the house :lol:
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:03 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 am Lots of folk say they are skint. They could get evening or weekend work.
Most choose not to.

Hmmm.
They start work leaving the house at 6.30am and get home at 7pm, they've been lifting, digging, moving, spannering, dragging, whatever for 10 hours a day for 5 days a week, and you want them to work more ?

Don't forget, even if they have the energy for weekend work, they're on minimum wage delivering pizza, packing envelopes or whatever, they're getting £50 a day after tax, minus their parking/bus/lunch/etc.... So lets call it £35 a day extra... Mmmmmm yeah that'll help them. Another 20 hour weekend for £75-85 quid, meaning they're now working 7 days a week.
Hate to think what the situation is like in some of the Northern 'Industrial' towns. Easy for me to forget living where some of the cleaners are charging £25 an hour :shock:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:10 am Hate to think what the situation is like in some of the Northern 'Industrial' towns. Easy for me to forget living where some of the cleaners are charging £25 an hour :shock:
But even that isn't £25 an hour in their pocket and isn't 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

They need a vehicle, fuel, cleaning products/machines, they need customers, insurance, then your usual income tax, NI, health cover.

I bet all in all they're on a chunk less than the £25 per hour your or i would pay.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:17 am As I get older and more boring I also find the markets and finance interesting, global and national finance is like a decent board game, but unfortunately with real money not with Monopoly money.
And, like Monopoly, the banker usually wins. :(
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:18 am
Hairybiker84 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:10 am Hate to think what the situation is like in some of the Northern 'Industrial' towns. Easy for me to forget living where some of the cleaners are charging £25 an hour :shock:
But even that isn't £25 an hour in their pocket and isn't 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

They need a vehicle, fuel, cleaning products/machines, they need customers, insurance, then your usual income tax, NI, health cover.

I bet all in all they're on a chunk less than the £25 per hour your or i would pay.
Most of them are Eastern Europeans, work in 3's or 4's so only 1 vehicle - the 'Madam' probably coining it in, her 'slaves' very much less so.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Most choose not to.

Hmmm.

Not gonna get into big arguments. If I wanted more money I worked more.
And if folk have kids, they shouldn't moan they're skint.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:04 am Not taking out PCP or whatever on that bling motor so you can look minted would be the smart choice, unfortunately there's loads of idiots round my way. At least they can sit and look at it parked in the street (most of them don't have drives) while they can't afford to put fuel in it or heat the house :lol:
Fur coat and no knickers.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:28 am
Most choose not to.

Hmmm.

Not gonna get into big arguments. If I wanted more money I worked more.
And if folk have kids, they shouldn't moan they're skint.
Nice simple world

P.s disagreement with Admin doesn't mean a ban hammer :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When lockdown kicked in here, a lass we know was laid off as a teacher. Moaned that she couldn't pay the mortgage or new car payments. Her pals felt sorry and helped her. I told her to sell the bloody car.

When her govt payments eventually kicked in, we didn't see her helping anybody.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:08 pm
I wouldn't want you as a motivational coach :lol:

The problem is most people (and kids) are told not to bother trying anything too ambitious because they won't succeed.
It crushes motivation and so most don't even try.

I've always had ideas way above my station, perhaps it comes across sometimes :D - and it's likely that I'll never get there, but I'm trying.
:)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've known people who genuinely have little money but they are usually quiet about it, the vocal ones are usually wasting money somewhere but think they are entitled to luxuries.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

The problem is most people (and kids) are told not to bother trying anything too ambitious because they won't succeed.

I think the opposite is true- I regularly read or see people in the media telling everyone that they can be anyone/ do anything if they try- whilst that's an admirable way to approach life IMO and largely true for a number of people, it really isn't for an awful lot more, especially the ones who don't have what it takes to REALLY try at anything- as the mighty Yoda said " Do or Not Do- there is no Try" :) )
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:00 am
SAve more, with no disposable income....
Better job, oh yeah the bloke with no qualifications and lets just say not the brightest isn't going to get offered double his wage from his job in the packing factory stuffing boxes for 12 hours a day on minimum wage.

It's all so so easy to suggest it from a position of middle class happiness, but the reality is a lot harder......
Totally agree. Some people here are in cloud cuckoo land if they think the job landscape is the same as when they got their education/training and made a living. All those extra jobs that people can do? A local Costa had 57 applicants for the last vacancy (lots of shop jobs have gone). Get a trade? Lots of tradesmen have gone self-employed, solo and won't take anyone on because the rules and red tape are too much. Lots of jobs won't take people for less than 38hrs/week because they don't need to...apart from, maybe, personal carers.
It's estimated that the combined impact of Brexit, Covid and Ukraine is going to average at least £2.5k pa for the average household. ie about £200 (of after tax income) per month). That's a mighty slab for lots of people.

My irritation is with those that moan about it because they're mortgaged to the hilt (because low interest rates are here for ever :roll: ) and they're driving around in a car that's going to have a £20k balloon payment soon and expect to trade in and get something better when the payment is due. As soon as Covid restrictions allowed they spaffed £3k on a foreign holiday etc. Then they'll wonder why the cupboard is bare. Reality bites.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

There's no one way that anyone 'average' can make up a £2.5k defecit in one go.

But, as said above, incremental changes can help.

Turn the heating dial down, set it to turn off earlier.

Drive a bit slower, plan ahead so you don't use the brakes so much, accelerate more gently. Your tyres will last longer too.

Got Sky Movies, Disney, etc? Cancel one of them. Then cancel another. Freeview isn't *so*bad, your life won't end if you can't watch movies.

You don't *need* a new phone at contract time, go sim only.

Stop buying Coke or Pepsi for the kids to drink all the time at home.

Don't go to Costa or Pret every day for lunch, buy the stuff and make sarnies.

Etc.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:34 pm There's no one way that anyone 'average' can make up a £2.5k defecit in one go.

Drive a bit slower, plan ahead so you don't use the brakes so much, accelerate more gently. Your tyres will last longer too.

Got Sky Movies, Disney, etc? Cancel one of them. Then cancel another. Freeview isn't *so*bad, your life won't end if you can't watch movies.

Etc.

I've been doing that for years and all I've achieved is being called tight by the family. :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:40 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:34 pm There's no one way that anyone 'average' can make up a £2.5k defecit in one go.

Etc.

I've been doing that for years and all I've achieved is being called tight by the family. :D
In Yorkshire we ain't tight. We're just careful with us brass..
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:00 am
SAve more, with no disposable income....
Better job, oh yeah the bloke with no qualifications and lets just say not the brightest isn't going to get offered double his wage from his job in the packing factory stuffing boxes for 12 hours a day on minimum wage.

It's all so so easy to suggest it from a position of middle class happiness, but the reality is a lot harder.

You may tell me how you did rubbish at school and are now a well paid super whatever, but i don't think that's reality for many. For every one of you, there are many hundreds of thousands who cannot and will not ever amount to much more than 'family bloke getting by'. They've got a minimal pension, minimal income and maximum outgoings.

You often tell us about the shit state of the UK, well, these people you say are the shit state, they're the normal. Their treat is a £20 fish and chip take away on a Friday evening with a 4 pack of Carlsberg... not because they don't WANT the better lifestyle, but because that's what the universe has dealt them. They're 45-55, they're going nowhere...

But you know what... they're doing OK :) They're average Joe....
I wouldn't want you as a motivational coach :lol:

I've always had ideas way above my station, perhaps it comes across sometimes :D - and it's likely that I'll never get there, but I'm trying.
Au contraire. It seems that the message from pre-school onwards for many kids is 'You are gifted, special, important. The world will gift you rewards because you are YOU. You will go to university and they will 'give' you a degree (for £27k). Employers will fall at you feet because you have a degree in The History of Art from West Neasden University.

Then they go to work - 'do you want fries with that?' Then the motivation may falter. It's not that they've been told not to bother because they'll fail, it's that they've been told they simply deserve to succeed, because 'you're you'. Which, of course, turns out to be a lie.

Some education and upbringing seems like those crap motivational books that only seem to be stocked in airport W H Smiths. 'The world is your oyster, think positive, do time management, learn a language in six weeks, visualise your targets, make a list, where do I want to be in 5 years? draw a map of how to get there etc' (Written by people who have made a living writing motivational books :D ).

A career? - Is a string of jobs looked at with hindsight. :lol:

(I do know some young people that have ignored all that, had some good advice, done the right courses/training put their head down, grafted, put themselves about a bit, taken chances and done well, so it's not all bad).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:48 pm A career? - Is a string of jobs looked at with hindsight. :lol:
Michael Bentine was asked whether he would have had a more successful career had he focused on one area?

"I always remember the dictionary definition: 'career', a headlong rush, out of control, downhill"
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Oh another TRC thread :roll: