New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
stray cat

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by stray cat »

New pair of boots! These:

Alpinestars SMX-6s, to replace my c.10 yr old SMX-Rs, which were well trashed and worn out. Was loathe to replace the as they were so comfortable, but these are just as comfortable and much smarter! (Would be hard not to be, as the old ones would shame a scarecrow). The Velcro is incredibly strong - the old ones had a smaller area of Velcro and a ratchet strap which I always thought was a bit iffy, although have to say they performed in my times of need :evil: The new ones are just about my limit in terms of flashiness; cant be doing with anything too showy. (And they are men’s too, as wimmins are a really tight fit around my tootsies.)
Skub

Post by Skub »

G.P wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:15 pm Mesh Jacket for summer and summer tours.

Very swish.

I use a Held jacket with some light coloured panels,man it's a fly magnet. I currently look like a greebo after only a few weeks of runs!

That one of yours will be hard to keep clean.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
G.P

Post by G.P »

Skub wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:58 pm
Very swish.

I use a Held jacket with some light coloured panels,man it's a fly magnet. I currently look like a greebo after only a few weeks of runs!

That one of yours will be hard to keep clean.
There was a black one but black is great at absorbing heat (and I reckon this one looks much better). I'm going to take it out for a test ride after work, its 24c here in the shade so I'll get a good idea of how effective it is and how well it catches Wiltshire flies! :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Pic of my cheapo eBay Daytonas.

They clean up not bad.

Walt Whitman
G.P

Post by G.P »

I went for a 40 mile ride early evening in rural Wiltshire, plenty of flies collected but mostly easily brushed off, I suppose the shape of the bike / fairing makes a difference to the aerodynamics. My monster 1200 must be doing something right I suppose!

Love the jacket, good air flow through arms, armpits and front sections. YOu can really feel the lack of airflow out the back where the back protector is held (no pun intended) but that's fine.

Next experiment will be to see what the minimum temp without any windproof base layer will be. While touring I would fully expect early morning temps to require some baselayer which would be removed as temps get up..
Anyway, 5 out of 5 so far..
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Sweet bit of kit, had to go for a fitting to get it spot on but now as comfy as. Should just be the thing for a bit of bashing round the steppes once we're able to travel again :)
G.P

Post by G.P »

Tomcat wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:16 pm Image

Sweet bit of kit, had to go for a fitting to get it spot on but now as comfy as. Should just be the thing for a bit of bashing round the steppes once we're able to travel again :)
Altbergs? our lads Navy issue boots are altbergs ans seem to be standing up well to all the grief they get. thicker sole than those above though.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

G.P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:21 pm Altbergs? our lads Navy issue boots are altbergs ans seem to be standing up well to all the grief they get. thicker sole than those above though.
Altberg are pretty much *the* boot for the UK armed and police forces, comfy and durable. The Hogg boots are made for biking, obvs chunkier than most of the roadgoing stuff and no shin protection, but highly favoured by the overlanding community. I've got Sidi Adventures as well, which I wore round Europe last year. Good boots and totally waterproof, but they squeak like hell whatever you do to them and they're quite unwieldy to walk in. As The Big One isn't until 2022 I reckon, I'll wear the Bergs round Europe next year and make a decision which to use.
G.P

Post by G.P »

^^^^^ my old Sidis squeak like a very irritated squeaky thing, tried all sorts on them but it always comes back. They've been relegated to track only now so not so much of an issue.
stray cat

Post by stray cat »

Went to OnYerBike yesterday looking for some riding jeans - bought these in the sale:

They are Lindstrands (made by Halvarssons) and the protective lining specs look good. I am ordering some armour separately as the only sets OYB had were pretty bulky. Took me AGES to find a pair that fitted - had to try on loads before I settled on these: ladies sizes are always very strange..

Then on the way out I saw this lovely Daniese jacket (also in the sale) and decided on that in 30 seconds, haha!:

Vents for summer, plus removable thermal liner for winter (not that I will be wearing this one anywhere mucky!! :mrgreen: )
Skub

Post by Skub »

Man,your heart will be broken cleaning the flies off that jacket!

Nice though.
Walt Whitman
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Did they not have any clean jeans in the sale? :lol:
stray cat

Post by stray cat »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:03 pm Man,your heart will be broken cleaning the flies off that jacket!

Nice though.
Yah, did think that at the time, hehe
stray cat

Post by stray cat »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:06 pm Did they not have any clean jeans in the sale? :lol:
OI! :lol: They were the only ones that fitted! Weren’t my first choice; I wanted a plainer pair but they didn’t actually manufacture those in a small enough size (and these were still wimmin’s - there’s plenty of ladies smaller than me as well!)
Skub

Post by Skub »

stray cat wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:16 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:06 pm Did they not have any clean jeans in the sale? :lol:
OI! :lol: They were the only ones that fitted! Weren’t my first choice; I wanted a plainer pair but they didn’t actually manufacture those in a small enough size (and these were still wimmin’s - there’s plenty of ladies smaller than me as well!)
Nothing wrong with a little crossdressing,mild stuff these days! :lol:
Walt Whitman
stray cat

Post by stray cat »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:20 pm
stray cat wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:16 pm
Nothing wrong with a little crossdressing,mild stuff these days! :lol:
Agreed; my gloves and boots are always men’s versions (in small sizes) - they seem to fit me better :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

My furygan leather jacket has white stripes down the arms and trying to keep them white is a mission. I can't begin to imagine how much cleaning a white jacket would need!
stray cat

Post by stray cat »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:41 pm My furygan leather jacket has white stripes down the arms and trying to keep them white is a mission. I can't begin to imagine how much cleaning a white jacket would need!
Well, tbh it was the design I liked best; we’ll see how the white bits fare (although I do obsessively clean my kit and it is a tiny jacket)... I don’t really mind if it gets a bit grubby :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Don't get me wrong, its a nice jacket
I just hate cleaning :D
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

New BKS “bobber” gloves to replace my ageing Davida ones. Nice supple and comfortable

Richa Cobalt cordura armoured jeans - £99 at Motorcycle Megastore at the moment . Happy with these too.