Long Way Up

Anything you like about motorbikes
G.P

Re: Long Way Up

Post by G.P »

Taipan wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:22 pm
He is a big fan of leccy vehicles, so I suspect he was very pleased to be part of the R&D of 2 prototypes.
Just watching episode one now so yeah, I get it, its a mix of being a leccy fan and people thinking it can't be done...
I didn't realise Charlie got so beaten up in 2 accidents. Liking that they got the old team back together...
Claude

Post by Claude »

Started watching this Sat so just 3 episodes in.

Mrs Claude doesn't like that the bikes don't sound 'proper'.

Having owned an electric car (Outlander PHEV) range anxiety is real. I don't like the way that the range dictates the path and indeed is the main part of the 'trip' so far. I am enjoying it overall though so lets see how it progresses...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just watched episode 7. Best so far imo. More of a travel show now, less about the bikes and their issues. Maybe realising they weren't doing the Green movement any favours, although, they may of got a 2 hr fast charge from the trucks now, which could ease the bike charging issues a bit. Don't know about the trucks though. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Still a good watch.๐Ÿ‘
Yamaha rocket 3
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Tough crowd?

I'm enjoying the series so far. Episode 1 and 2 were a bit repetitive with the whole charging thing but I think that's got a load better since.

Remember, this wasn't filmed last week, the livewires are not only prototypes, but the build of these is far different to what HD are offering a customer. The Rivians were prototypes (and built in an impressively short time) and the tech in those is brilliant with the tow charging/ range etc. And now that they can charge the bikes from the Rivians in 2 hours!! That tech was invented while they're on the tour!!

I know that there's issues with finding suitable charging points etc, but isn't that the idea? exploring, adventure, things not going to plan sometimes? When you tour on a ICE bike, don't you try and push the range? I'm sure there's people on here who have messed up and run out of fuel, same issue, just with no major infrastructure in place to assist. If this had been a bike adventure 100 yrs ago, don't you think it would have been similar issues with finding fuel?

I think HD and Rivian have played a blinder, and I hope they get the rewards for doing so, putting themselves up there. It could have been an absolute disaster from the word 'go'.

Oh, and I don't think it is HD who put the charging points in for the trip, it was Rivian who set up 240 charging points along the route.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Electric motors to power vehicles is all good. Power / torque fantastic. The issue has always been the refuelling and the time it takes. Once that's sorted they will become a real alternative for everyone. ๐Ÿ‘

I wonder how the Rivians charge the bikes.???
Yamaha rocket 3
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Dodgy knees wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am Electric motors to power vehicles is all good. Power / torque fantastic. The issue has always been the refuelling and the time it takes. Once that's sorted they will become a real alternative for everyone. ๐Ÿ‘

I wonder how the Rivians charge the bikes.???
They have much bigger magic smoke tanks, and they can syphon the smoke out and inject it into the bike.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Dodgy knees wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am The issue has always been the refuelling and the time it takes.
I think the larger issue is actually people's attitude, expectation etc. How long do you spend driving a vehicle vs. leaving it sat motionless somewhere? Why do you need to be able to fill it up in 5 mins. Generally, almost universally in fact, you don't.

I..e the challenge is behaviour as much as technology. TLWU is a good example, people are (pretty much) successfully riding across a continent with little electric car infrastructure on electric bikes, yet somehow that's proof you can't do such a thing. :D
McNab

Post by McNab »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:21 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am The issue has always been the refuelling and the time it takes.
I think the larger issue is actually people's attitude, expectation etc. How long do you spend driving a vehicle vs. leaving it sat motionless somewhere? Why do you need to be able to fill it up in 5 mins. Generally, almost universally in fact, you don't.
Have you ever been to a motorway service station? 5 minutes is too long.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:21 pm I..e the challenge is behaviour as much as technology. TLWU is a good example, people are (pretty much) successfully riding across a continent with little electric car infrastructure on electric bikes, yet somehow that's proof you can't do such a thing. :D
I'm not sure this is proof you can do it though, when HD install a charging system just for them. Is HD going to maintain all those stations? Are you going to find them removed or out of order should you do the same route in 6 months time?

Everything can be done if you throw enough money and technology at it. NASA even had someone playing golf on the moon, but I don't see the PGA having a tournament there yet.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

McNab wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:13 amHave you ever been to a motorway service station? 5 minutes is too long.
I never drive my petrol car until the tank is empty, refill it and then drive it until the tank is empty again. I've literally never done that. I'm sure there are a very few people who do, but it's pretty rare.

That's more my point really. Once you can drive 3-400 miles on a charge, which isn't very far off being commonly available in electric cars, you don't need to be able to fill up in 5 mins. Even if you (plural you) think you do, I bet you don't.
Claude

Post by Claude »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am
McNab wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:13 amHave you ever been to a motorway service station? 5 minutes is too long.
I never drive my petrol car until the tank is empty, refill it and then drive it until the tank is empty again. I've literally never done that. I'm sure there are a very few people who do, but it's pretty rare.

That's more my point really. Once you can drive 3-400 miles on a charge, which isn't very far off being commonly available in electric cars, you don't need to be able to fill up in 5 mins. Even if you (plural you) think you do, I bet you don't.
That's exactly my fill-up behaviour. unless I know my destination is further than the range I have then I'll fill in advance.

When I had the Phev, work was 10 miles away. In summer I'd just charge at work that would get me home and back again. In winter I'd charge at home so I could use the pre-heating and at work.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Sorry I mean I never run the car dry, then immediately do it again without a break in the middle.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am I never drive my petrol car until the tank is empty, refill it and then drive it until the tank is empty again. I've literally never done that. I'm sure there are a very few people who do, but it's pretty rare.
:wave:
OK, so not till empty, but down to where I couldn't make a return journey
crust

Post by crust »

But they can only do it because they've had charge points specially installed and have a truck to slipstream/boost, two things no one else has.

Good job they didn't want to explore a different road.

In a few years long distance tours open to normal people maybe but not given the current infra-structure.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just watched last one...

Great last episode and on the whole, a great series. Think we were steered away from the charging issues they were having, mid way, as it turned into more of a travel show half way through, less bike, still great scenery.

No wonder Charlie keeps getting hurt, he's a bloody liability, you will see. They do seem to be great friends, having a great time. Reckon they'll be doing more. Good show. ๐Ÿ‘
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

If you want a good show on riding through South America have a look at Ed March ..... no sponsorship, fuck all budget, no support trucks and camera crews, riding a C90 and loving life

If you like this one his earlier vids are all available from Alaska all the way down the US to South America. The early ones with his girlfriend Rachel on another C90 are hilarious :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

I watched the last 2 episodes last night. Must admit I was impressed with all four prototype vehicles. I want a Rivian much more than I want an HD electric bike :)
Once I'd accepted that the "adventure" was about hopping from one electric charging point to be next, and once they'd got out of sub zero temperatures and gained some reasonable range, it was a great travelogue.
Irrespective of all the naysayers, I really think Ewan and Charlie are good TV. I hope they do another before Charlie is a total cripple. :D
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

G.P wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:16 pm
McNab wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am So, when we get our LiveWires, how far in advance do we have to inform Harley Davidson of our trip routes so they can install the necessary chargers (obviously just far enough apart to create a sense of excitement)?
Trouble is, I assume no-one else has got an electric bike in that part of the world so the carbon footprint for all the shipping and installations of the charging points is massive compared to what the adventurers and their service crew would have consumed in unleaded.

I thought Ewan was a bit brighter than that?
Yes but the charging points are presumably being left there afterwards? Meaning the next people to use them will have a very very small carbon footprint?