In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: In todays news...

Post by Cousin Jack »

It is not the little countries dumping dollars you need to worry about, it is big players buying them.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

A lot of Republican states are pulling investments out of Blackrock...some big $numbers.

Apparently they think Blackrock is too woke/green. :wtf:

(Maybe they got them confused with Blackwater when they put the money in).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Interesting article in the FT about the rise-and-rise of vaping.
https://www.ft.com/content/f72f17e4-a83 ... 49cc7aebc2

It's not my thing (too trendy and smacks of alcopops - which I was also too venerable for) but interesting to see how lazy lawmaking and opportunitistic entrepreneuring are building a lucrative industry, and desperately trying to avoid getting banned .
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:16 pm Interesting article in the FT about the rise-and-rise of vaping.

It's not my thing (too trendy and smacks of alcopops - which I was also too venerable for) but interesting to see how lazy lawmaking and opportunitistic entrepreneuring are building a lucrative industry, and desperately trying to avoid getting banned .
12ft.io/ not getting me through the paywall. A lot of these websites are wise to the cached version - unless anyone has another simple method which works. There are complex fiddly ways of extracting the text but I can't be arsed with a blind link otherwise.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:34 pm

12ft.io/ not getting me through the paywall. A lot of these websites are wise to the cached version - unless anyone has another simple method which works. There are complex fiddly ways of extracting the text but I can't be arsed with a blind link otherwise.
Strictly speaking that's not what a blind link is. Im not a subscriber and managed to read it in full earlier, so mea culpa.
But anyway yeah shame we can only discuss the free media stuff and the bollocks on YouTube.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:16 pmlazy lawmaking
Can't read the link, must have used my 4 freebies up already.
The TPD? The legislation that was mostly influenced by the tobacco and pharmaceutical companies is a joke.

I do think disposables should be banned though.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:48 pm Strictly speaking that's not what a blind link is. Im not a subscriber and managed to read it in full earlier, so mea culpa.
But anyway yeah shame we can only discuss the free media stuff and the bollocks on YouTube.
Yes appreciate that but you know what I mean. It is possible I may be having VPN related issues when it comes to poking through paywalls...

So what does it say? Am I going to die? (even sooner!) I vape a LOT. :oops:
Plato
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Got it, https://www.ft.com/content/f72f17e4-a83 ... 49cc7aebc2 a link from Reddit worked for me when in incognito mode.

And I don't find myself disagreeing with the article.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:09 pm
Yes appreciate that but you know what I mean. It is possible I may be having VPN related issues when it comes to poking through paywalls...

Never fear ( not from this article anyway). Not at all preachy from a health pov (because there's not really any body of evidence, yet) more talking about the commercial side of things and the industry's desperation to keep it going, and keep the links to appeal-to-kids as far away as possible. And the environmental impact of all these disposables all of a sudden.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:26 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:09 pm

Never fear ( not from this article anyway). Not at all preachy from a health pov (because there's not really any body of evidence, yet) more talking about the commercial side of things and the industry's desperation to keep it going, and keep the links to appeal-to-kids as far away as possible. And the environmental impact of all these disposables all of a sudden.
Does it mention that it's taken off before they've figured out how to tax it to replace the money from tobacco? While the environmental impact and the popularity with yoof are real issues, they're also convenient hooks to convince the population that it must all be brought under (taxable) control. Still, they haven't suggested that money from sales is funding paedophiles....yet.
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:11 pm Does it mention that it's taken off before they've figured out how to tax it to replace the money from tobacco?
It dosen't, and it hasn't taken off before they can work out how to tax them, they being taxed at the same rate as cigarettes & tobacco was always seen as one of the end goals of including them in the 2011 TPD.

Which is due to be amended and wouldn't you know it the EU are looking to do it https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/r ... tobacco_en
https://vaping360.com/vape-news/119172/ ... -vape-tax/
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:11 pm While the environmental impact and the popularity with yoof are real issues,
Disposal is a big issue.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66451708.amp

Surprising amount of damage to the rim.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:22 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:11 pm Does it mention that it's taken off before they've figured out how to tax it to replace the money from tobacco?
It dosen't, and it hasn't taken off before they can work out how to tax them, they being taxed at the same rate as cigarettes & tobacco was always seen as one of the end goals of including them in the 2011 TPD.

Which is due to be amended and wouldn't you know it the EU are looking to do it https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/r ... tobacco_en
https://vaping360.com/vape-news/119172/ ... -vape-tax/
Inevitable really. Have to laugh though, the main supplier is China and they've got the strictest rules. (Along with a few other places that ban flavours other than tobacco and (?) menthol).
Voltaire
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:16 pm Interesting article in the FT about the rise-and-rise of vaping.

I gave up smoking half a lifetime ago in the late 80s, long before vaping came along. If I hadn't stopped smoking I'd almost certainly have switched to vaping, venerable or not.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:00 pm
The TPD? The legislation that was mostly influenced by the tobacco and pharmaceutical companies is a joke.

I think people who want to ban things should be banned.

Oh! :?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:03 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:00 pm

I think people who want to ban things should be banned.

Oh! :?
I agree, I long for the old days when it vaping was the wild west and community policed, before all this additional legislation that does little to nothing but line the pockets of big pharma.

I dislike disposables for 2 reasons, 1, the environmental cost, and 2, the additional attention they draw to vaping as a whole.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I used to be work in the flavour / fragrance industry.
We sold huge amounts to the vape industries.
I have real concerns about their use - and what is going to happen in the next few years. Esp with people making up their own vape solutions and nicotine levels.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:57 pm Esp with people making up their own vape solutions and nicotine levels.
I've been mixing my own since the get go for 13 years, probably longer but that's the oldest email I could find.
I'll probably be long dead before any long term health risks are understood, but it's still safer than smoking.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MIG 23 just augered in at Willow Run airshow, both crew ejected.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:15 pm MIG 23 just augered in at Willow Run airshow, both crew ejected.
You seem to be taking this "todays news" quite literally.

Perhaps you could include a weather report at the end which would be just as interesting. :thumbup:
Plato