What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

2in of water in the bucket...

The area where most of the water was dripping under the overhang the other day is dry today (that small triangle doodad to the far right), The area where the secondary drip was is wet (far left end of the next bay).

My Heath Robinson water collection/flood mitigation effort...the leak hits the plastic sheet taped to the window, the other plastic sheet prevents the water from splashing across the room. Water goes from between the plastic sheets into the bucket.

Roofer bloke is coming by on Wednesday morning. Prince Harry's ghetto got 5in of rain between 3am & 11am this morning. The worse part is coming ashore this afternoon. They've ordered full evacuation of Montecito, Santa Paula, Carpenteria & other towns in that area. I guess Harry, The Meg & Orca Winfrey etc will be slumming it at the Beverley Hills Hotel
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Looks like I'm fighting a losing battle here. The plastic sheet window deal is working for the leak from the top of the window.... but now it looks like water has got into the wall under the window & is coming into the house under the sill plate. Good news is the house sits on a concrete slab & the floor covering is waterproof vinyl plank stuff so that won't be damaged by the water. I've rolled up the rug & moved that, & the couch to the other side of the room.

The bucket was half full by 8pm so I've emptied that. Will check it again before I hit the sack.

AND.. there's now another issue. There's a VERY faint smell of gas in the laundry room, barely detectable.

The house is about 35 years old & that's the point where they start to fall apart here.

Just checked the bucket again & it's filling at the rate of 2in/hour, but the worst of the storm is supposed to be done by midnight, it's 9pm right now. Gonna be drizzle all night & then the SHTF again about 7-8am
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:47 am The house is about 35 years old & that's the point where they start to fall apart here.
Really? Is that in general,or just certain types of houses?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:47 am
ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:47 am The house is about 35 years old & that's the point where they start to fall apart here.
I was a bit surprised by the roof tbh. The ridge tiles look to be loose laid and decorative more than weather tight and the roof tile arrangement generally looks like an awful lot depends on the integrity of the felt underneath.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Fairly general in SoCal.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:28 pm
Fairly general in SoCal.
Probably down to livin' on the fault line. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

WooT! Weather guessers are now saying dry for the next three days :)

Was out running errands this morning & the apartments across from Costco have plastic sheeting held down with battens on every building in the complex.

All 14 structures have failed roofs:

Costco had dozens of plastic totes throughout the store catching water from roof leaks.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I saw the storms on the news last night, with Ellen DeGeneres yakking about it. Certainly some raging water going on! :shock:
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Replaced the rear wheel bearings in the trusty old orange bike, which was all good, and reversed the van into OH's car, which wasn't good.

Arse! :oops:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:07 pm Replaced the rear wheel bearings in the trusty old orange bike, which was all good, and reversed the van into OH's car, which wasn't good.

Oh deary me.... how's the van ? :wave:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Not today but yesterday...

I got my lazy arse out of bed and got first lifts. There was about 6" of fresh snow so I took the powderboard out for a play

Not quite first lift to last lift. More accurately, first lift until my hipflask ran dry and my earphones ran out of juice (sic).
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:14 pm
Tricky wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:07 pm Replaced the rear wheel bearings in the trusty old orange bike, which was all good, and reversed the van into OH's car, which wasn't good.

Oh deary me.... how's the van ? :wave:
Hiya matey, has been a while eh :wave:
Van's OK really, just a little scrape on the main body now behind the back edge of the passenger door - yeah funny place I know but was reversing through a tight gap , swung over a bit earlier than I should and caught the front corner of her car which now also has a scuffed front bumper, which was only replaced a few months back ( and that was me that did it that time too, proper trashed it when I caught a wall and it sort of ripped off and cracked :oops: ) so this time could have been a lot worse- a little blow over on both will sort them but it's a few more ££ which is really annoying, and I'm a twat, again :roll:

The Trafic doesn't make it easy though just that extra few feet of the LWB version makes it trickier and requires a few more goes sometimes, the old LT and Crafter definitely had a lot more steering lock, although on the flip side they were much more "vanny" to drive .....

Anyway no serious harm done and we will have to have a proper catch up soon - have been following your van and toolbox threads, and James's one good entertainment, as always :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I passed a (mandatory) internet security course! 80% minimum pass rate and 80% score achieved. Phew! :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:00 am I saw the storms on the news last night, with Ellen DeGeneres yakking about it. Certainly some raging water going on! :shock:
We have a great flood control system of dams etc.... Newsolini is removing four or five of the (hydroelectric) dams because "salmon". We're still under drought emergency regs so we can't water the lawns, or hose down the concrete etc... FFS. Newsom is livid that these storms have completely fucked up his drought emergency plans.. just a month after he & the media were spouting bullshit about starting the 4th year of drought..

Roofer showed up today, first of 15 visits for him today. They're going to remove tiles (70 year warranty) & replace the failed felt (actually tar paper, good for 30 years, house is 35yo) in the valley & out to 4ft or so either side.
We don't need the whole roof doing (yet), but the neighbors do... Just as well as we have solar up there that would have to come off....
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Last night I went out to a nightclub/bar because there was a band playing that I love!! Only the second time I've been there cos it's very French and I don't exactly do clubs!! But the same band played the last time I went so I gathered my courage and went again.

Wasn't keen to go alone but the friend that was supposed to go had double booked himself and I figured the other friend had gotten too pissed at apres :lol: But - Just after I got to the club and the band had started, my young friend turned up! Really weird how just having a mate there, even if he's not that keen on the music ( :lol: ) suddenly made everything feel more comfortable and 'easier'.

He didn't stay very long (one beer) but I really didn't think he would come or like the music - rockabilly trio! So the fact that he did turn up just for a short time made the whole visit to the club soooo much easier!

And oh boy did I dance!! LOL Not proper Rock n Roll cos I need to find someone that can dance that 'wrong handed', but I danced for over an hour :D :D Biggest grin on my face ever - haven't danced much since last Feb, so it was fab :D :D Left before the band finished, just cos I had first tracks planned this morning - the one where I don't have to walk up - but still needed the knee in a decent state for skiing :D

This morning's first tracks was the best EVER. Solo again - seasonaires are shit at getting up for things that are amazing! Stay out late fine; get up early, no chance!! But, one of the guys I'd been dancing near last night, the only one that could actually dance and seemed to be enjoying it as much as me, was there with his mate! Their partners had opted to sleep but the guys did the first tracks. They were a hoot so we had some laughs. And I met three english who were doing the first tracks for the first time who were great fun as well.

Weirdly, this time no one seemed to want to be first behind the pisteur, so it was awesome for me cos I was behind him and no one close to me. So could relax and ski how I wanted. And also, this time the pisteur didn't stop as often!! And skied faster!!! So we did top to bottom with only one stop to regroup :lol:

Freaking AWESOME!!!! :bblonde: :bblonde: What a bloody fabulous way to start the day - fast, flat, empty pistes. And breakfast after the two runs! Pretty sure I skied as fast as I've ever done, did keep 'checking' myself to keep the speed down a bit, but wow!! Bit of carving, some nice turns (without lifting the inside ski - bad habit I seem to have picked up somewhere), and, the other best bit - I skied a bit of the straight/shallow bit with both arms out to the sides, horizontal to the ground. BOTH arms :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

I was grinning even more than I was at the band last night :D

Then me and a friend went to the valley to shop! Drove back and - IT'S SNOWING AGAIN :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

First three photos are of Mont Blanc in different states of sun rise! Wearing her cloud hat though, so a forecast of snow :D :D

Fresh pistes, full moon and the smudges are birds!! Not sure what kind but they seemed to be big!! LOL

Straight ahead - Pralognan-la-Vanoise. Slightly to the right - Corchevel and the rest of the 3 Valleys.

Pralognan-la-Vanoise is interesting as I'm pretty sure it's only got the one access road!! I plan a ride over in the summer to have a look around!

I think that's Tignes in the distance!

I just love views like this. Shame the full moon was too high to get into the photo too, but the random girl standing admiring the view just makes the pic really. I so so must sort out a rucksack that makes carrying the proper camera easy and then learn how to use the darned thing!! LOL The views here do deserve me to use the proper camera and take better photos!!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've started watching an 'Inclusive People Manangement Workshop' run by some west coast Yanks. I was expecting a fair bit of buzzword bingo but this takes the piss, it's full of those vague words that people can change the meaning of retrospectively.

I think I'm trying to unconsciously internalise my privileged biases but they are telling me not to judge myself.

I now know all about how systemic bias manifests itself in the US and how it needs a holistic solution. I don't want to be seen dropping off halfway through so I'm going to leave it running while I do the washing and reflect on being marginalised by my wife whose organisational biases make her think this task is beneath someone of her identified gender.

I'm also going to dial down myself when I work out what it means.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Sliced my arm open in the garage. Claret everywhere. No frigging clue how I did it as I didn't notice until the blood pouring out made my hand wet & sticky.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Returned to Turkey from South Africa, I'm currently on the airport bus. Need to re-pack and I'll fly to UK tomorrow.

My son's funeral is on Monday morning.
Horse

Post by Horse »

@Yambo

Oh no, really sorry to see that.

Condolences to you, your family, his friends.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:30 am Returned to Turkey from South Africa, I'm currently on the airport bus. Need to re-pack and I'll fly to UK tomorrow.

My son's funeral is on Monday morning.
Not sure there's any words mate.... But... Hugs..