What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:06 am Sounds like something, as you say, clogging the valley. Water backs up and gets under if the valley is tiled, usually made worse if the wind is driving in from a particular direction. Basically the water gets pushed uphill on a system designed for it to go downhill. Once inside it runs downhill again and appears at the house wall/window/ceiling edge.

(Been there, got the T-shirt as a result of moss on part of a roof under a tree canopy).

Some box gutters are stepped every few metres of their length to avoid that.
Also it's worth noting potential snow height and situations where ice dams might form.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My Daughter came for dinner and brought her two French bulldogs with her. Our Pup Frenchie decided they were fair game and with mhy JRT joining in,we had four dogs tear arsing round the place. Funny as fook to see the little pup chasing the 3 bigger and older dogs! They've gone home now and its very very quiet in here now! :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

For all that I'm supposed to be an office wallah now, I do still end up driving on a Sunday (sometimes more often :( ) - today I started at 3:45. Got to GVA at 6:20 then had to wait just over 6 hours before heading back to resort. Took pity on an injured person so drove them to another bit of resort (boss had told me earlier after an enquiry near GVA that something like that I could keep as 'tips') only for her not to have any cash, so I have to log a taxi trip on the system tomorrow for 10€ cos she paid by cheque :roll: :roll:

Been a while since I've done an almost 12 hour day, so I'm crashed out tonight! LOL

Tomorrow I'm going for fish and chips with a french friend - he's not had english fish and chips and doesn't understand malt vinegar or why we would put it on chips :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tuesday one of my favourite bands is playing in my bit of resort.
Wednesday there might be a first tracks morning to do
Friday a mate arrives in resort for a week :D :D

Best thing of all?

IT'S ONLY BLOODY SNOWING - AT LAST :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Lots of things, but the most annoying was being blown over as I was putting a pallet on top of a one tonne bag of builders waste to stop it blowing away. It's somewhat undignified to land on a pile of scrap wood between two other stacks of pallets with the one you were carrying on top of you.

I think this is why my ribs hurt when I cough, breathing is OK, which is nice.
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

The drive to work shitbox Ibiza was left on the road over Xmas, didn't use it until Monday morning to go to work. The passenger footwell had 4 inches of water in it. FFS. I went to work but bummed off at lunch to wfh and hit it with the wet and dry hoover and got gallons out. Presumably the sunroof drain is blocked and it runs down the A pillar and into the footwell. Left the dehumidifier in it all week and it did fuck all really. Put a fan heater in too with a WiFi camera to keep an eye on it, which didn't help really at all. The most experienced technician at work said you got to take the carpet out and dry everything or any wiring will go manky and Christmas tree dashboards are in your future. FFS the car is only worth 600 quid.

Borrowed my brother's unit, ripped the seats and carpet and sound deadening out, took the lot back and stuck it all in the spare room with a rad on and the dehumidifier on flat out and got loads of water out. Stuck it all back in today.
Blew the drains out in the sunroof and they make a nice puddle on the floor, not the footwell. Found 6.60 In change though. Took the leaf screen out as I though the drain was under it but it wasn't. Was full of leaves though so hoovered all that out. Doesn't smell of wet any more though. All that effort for literally the shittest car in the carpark. Well a lad has a MK3 golf which he has to climb in from the passenger side, so equal shittest.

Moral; Check your sunroof drains occasionally, just poor some water in the front gutter and make sure it piddles on the floor
Felix

Post by Felix »

My Volvo sunroof leaked. Never seen the point in having it when i had air con so i just ran Gaffa tape round the thing. Solved.
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

I temp fixed it with gorilla tape. Jobs a winner until I pulled it off to look at the drain and it took the clearcoat with it. Awesome
cheb

Post by cheb »

Felix wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:45 pm My Volvo sunroof leaked. Never seen the point in having it when i had air con so i just ran Gaffa tape round the thing. Solved.
The foil air con tape is the best option IME, it doesn't seem to affected by weather nor UV light.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Stuffed myself full of antibiotics, ibuprofen 600's & tramadol as I have a dental abscess that made it's presence known last night.. :thumbdown:
Felix

Post by Felix »

cheb wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:05 pm
Felix wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:45 pm My Volvo sunroof leaked. Never seen the point in having it when i had air con so i just ran Gaffa tape round the thing. Solved.
The foil air con tape is the best option IME, it doesn't seem to affected by weather nor UV light.
Is that Butyl tape? I have used that in the past and its bloody excellent stuff. Can be painted over also.
cheb

Post by cheb »

This stuff: https://www.toolstation.com/aluminium-foil-tape/p97723

I used it on a Renault 9 or 11 sunroof, until it was obvious the car wouldn't pass another MOT test. The tape was removed and I used let my spawn climb in and out of the car via the sunroof.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Started a new job.

It's alright so far.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Checked roof drainage. Water is going where it's meant to. My weekend faffery appears to have cured the problem, but I did remove another piece of broken tile.
Today's BIG storm hasn't got here yet, so time will tell.

I also need to cash in last weeks immense lottery winnings (I think it's $12).. which I will *invest* in tomorrow nights $1,100,000,000 jackpot ($358M with cash option, after taxes)... altho I would settle for tonight's $340M jackpot ($112M cash option, after taxes)...

I also need to buy some Tin Roof Sundae ice cream, I found a new version that also has choc coated cone pieces in it :)

Edit: Mission accomplished, I actually won $18.
MegaMillions $2 (twice)
Powerball $9 & $5 (PB+2 & PB+1)
FantasyFive: Two free replays
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:55 pm I also need to buy some Tin Roof Sundae ice cream, I found a new version that also has choc coated cone pieces in it :)
The diet going well then? :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Skub wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:15 pm The diet going well then? :thumbup:
Apart from that one item... yes... well, er, kinda. I managed to walk past the icecream freezer section at the store this morning without stopping :)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bugger. Rain increased, leak came back.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:58 pm Bugger. Rain increased, leak came back.
Is the wind blowing towards that side of the house?

Do they put a membrane under those tiles - like Tyvek?

(Never seen a roof construction quite like that tbh).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:16 pm Is the wind blowing towards that side of the house?

Do they put a membrane under those tiles - like Tyvek?

(Never seen a roof construction quite like that tbh).
Not windy at all today. The roof is plywood (or OSB) on the trusses, then roofing felt, then battens to hang/nail the tiles to, then the tiles. Tiles are about 1in thick. I can't imagine how much the roof weighs.

In related news:
Neighbor had a leak, hired a crew to fix it for $2000, they didn't. They came back, replaced another section of tiles.. for another $2000, still didn't fix it, then came back again, found the actual leak, fixed that for $250 & refused to refund any of the previous $4000.
They have a different crew coming in to replace most of the roof in the hear future. That crew is from about 100 miles away (Bakersfield). When they show up we will have them take a butchers at our roof. We only have a leak issue with that one valley, but there are several others. They've all been to the same party.
I'm going to get up in that part of the attic in the next few days to put chrimble deco's away, at that time I will get across to the other side of the house & take a look at the underside of the roof.

Right now I have a couple of plastic sheets arranged to catch & direct the water into a 5gal bucket. (just looked, there's an inch of water in the bucket)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've been out for fish and chips with a French friend - introduced him to malt vinegar on chips :lol: He actually liked that and appreciated the fish n chips. Was a bit weird for him a the bar we went to, which is normally full of a decent mix of French & English, was rammed full of loud Brits!! LOL Once they moved on, it was a bit nicer :lol: :lol:

Then the Argentinian friend joined us to chat - he's learning French so I introduced him to the French so that he had someone to practice with.

Was a cool evening - its been chucking it down with snow all day and has continued all evening :D It's great!! The evening was good company and good fun - and more rum than usual :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Took granddaughter to her violin lesson, man in Aston Martin ( Db8/9) reverses into my, new to me car tailgate lights split painted lower body part ££££££
ARSE, its the bloody inconvenience not that it wont get fixed.