Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:37 pm
From 2021, I was considering going part-time. But a tough project through 2021and a real @rsehole of a project in 2022 beat a lot of the enthusiasm out of me.

The arrangement now is that they offer me work that might suit me, if I agree then we go ahead. It won't involve the kind of responsibilities I had then.

However, I was never intending to do nothing in retirement. That's part of the reason for taking up the community first responder role. Plus plenty of other stuff too.
Similar. For a long time I really enjoyed what I did and worked within my area of expertise but, because I had a decent track record, they kept shoving me at knotty stuff that was outside it. 'Big Oil' was OK but Health was the final straw. :lol: If I could have kept to the stuff I knew inside out and upside down I would have carried on for a few more years. (I don't mind learning new stuff but I didn't see why clients should pay good money while I did it...and I no interest in the Health sector. So, I got the job up and running, handed over and quit).

I planned to freelance for a while - even got offered a contract consultancy job in.....Health!

Got involved doing all the things I always said I'd do, if only I had time, and never looked back. No regrets at all. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Sunny wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:22 pm I've never been interested in having kids
Smelly, noisy, inconsiderate money-sponges. ;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

gremlin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:43 pm
Sunny wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:22 pm I've never been interested in having kids
Smelly, noisy, inconsiderate money-sponges. ;)
Yup :mrgreen:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:25 pm My wife has semi-retired and I asked about the possibility of dropping down to 4 days a week and it was approved (3/1 ratio of on site/wfh) but I haven't taken them up on it, yet. The wifes Mum is 92 and has dementia, hence the wife going part time. I think if i have more time at home i'll end up helping out and to be frank, i'd rather be working and I dont think i can help with that anyway, so might as well keep topping the retirement pot up.

Our retirement goals have changed, yet again! :roll: Having holidayed for a few days in Portugal last month, it brought home to me how much I dislike winters here. We'd planned to go touring southern europe in the campervan during winters when we retire, but having just rented a pool with a villa, we now think we'd like to get a similar place abroad, although probably Spain and not Portugal. We could get visitors then rather than keep returning home. My Daughter is really keen for us to do this and will manage it on AirBnB for summer rental income so it pays for its running costs etc and then keep it free for us in winter. The likelihood is our old folk will have passed away by the time we retire so that would free us up. I dont mean that as callously as it sounds, but i'm sure you get the gist.
I can help out with AirBnB knowledge and taxes and costs etc.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:51 pm

I can launder money and provide fake documents.

And dispose of bodies.

Hang on. This is the 'dark' web, right?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:29 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:51 pm

I can launder money and provide fake documents.

And dispose of bodies.

Hang on. This is the 'dark' web, right?
I'm au fait with those, it was just the airbnb stuff that has thrown me...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

My Vanguard portfolio did damn good during November, up 7.5% :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:41 am
If I won the lottery tonight I'd still go to work on Monday, just in a Rolls-Royce :D

I'd rather be happy about going to work than happy about the fact I don't have to do it any more. Fortunately for me, I know what job I want to do and I have the skills to do it. Winner :thumbup:
If I won the lottery tonight, I would keep working for the winter because I have made a commitment to the job and I wouldn't be able to do much about changing accommodation until spring anyway!

And, I do actually like what I do. What I didn't like was being stressed out over it. The deal this year is that I'm working enough to earn a decent full time wage, but not enough to get stressed out again.

Equally, I wouldn't go back to work next winter!! I'd spend winters skiing and summers playing motorbikes!! LOL Despite living a lot longer than expected, I am too aware that life is short and I want to enjoy it. Since I'm single I can be as selfish as I like/can afford to be :D :D

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:30 pm There is an interview somewhere with Jordan Peterson (who I don't usually like) but he's talking to someone who has everything they've ever wanted, great career, great place to live, money, etc, but no kids or much family around them and he points out to them that they've sacrificed having a family so they could have all the other stuff and it's a bad mistake to make, they'll spend their elder years without the blessing of grandkids or family, etc.
Some of us had no choice on the family thing!! :( :( :(

My one personal goal in life was to get married and have children and be a mum. My parents goal for me was to have a successful career. I failed spectacularly on both counts!!

It's about the only thing I'm sad about in life - not having children, or having a big enough apartment here (yet) to foster. But the second is something I'm still working on!

However. I look at some of the things that have gone 'wrong' in my life and whilst in some ways I feel I should have done things differently, I wouldn't be living here and being a french speaker if any of the planned things had happened!! Maybe life would have been better, maybe not. But despite the stresses I'm still sorting out, I'm actually very happy with where I am. (I would REALLY like an apartment with a bedroom though! And space to cook for friends!)

Downside is that, due to never expecting to live past (or up to) 40, I never did plan much for retirement! So I currently don't have much of a plan! But, I can work in half of the job I'm doing until I'm pretty old. And if things go the way I'm hoping, I 'should' be able to sort a bit of a solution in the next few years. Just got to make sure this winter goes well and I get a permanent contract - that will pave the way for my 'plan'!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:10 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:03 pm Death in Service protection (12 x annual salary, it's a wonder Mrs. G hasn't pushed my down the stairs!),
Wow... i thought 3X was good !!!
What can I say? I'm worth it. 8-)
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:03 pm I don't think anybody should underestimate how going from the 5-day-a-week grind to retirement can mess with your well-being.
Yes agreed, it'a mainly going to be the intensity for me, I think it was Moofo who highlighted making some pretty senior decisions one day and then retiring and picking up dog shit the next day whilst out walking the dog as a retired person.

I have a truck load of responsibility, so ditching that will be a strange feeling.

I'd underestimated the huge demands Mrs Potters job was having, she was working out a handover and suddenly burst into tears, sobbing her heart out, her job was incredibly stressful/demanding and it was literally burning her out, as she was wrapping some admin stuff up yesterday it finally sank in that she didn't need to go back into the furnace again and a lot of emotion came out all at once.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Noggin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:20 pm
Sorry, it was a bit inconsiderate of me to go on about it, it didn't cross my mind that some people didn't have a choice.

To be honest we never really planned kids, they just kind of turned up and although of course I loved them from day one I never really gave a lot of thought to it, they were just there and I did my best. But as someone that has been very aggressive chasing a career, goals and money, and often making sacrifices to achieve some goals, I've sometimes wondered whether I got the balance right.

My parents were pretty dreadful, I won't tell any sob stories but I had a very bad childhood, so I tried my best with ours.

Sorry again if I raised any sore points.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:57 pm
Sorry, it was a bit inconsiderate of me to go on about it, it didn't cross my mind that some people didn't have a choice.

To be honest we never really planned kids, they just kind of turned up and although of course I loved them from day one I never really gave a lot of thought to it, they were just there and I did my best. But as someone that has been very aggressive chasing a career, goals and money, and often making sacrifices to achieve some goals, I've sometimes wondered whether I got the balance right.

My parents were pretty dreadful, I won't tell any sob stories but I had a very bad childhood, so I tried my best with ours.

Sorry again if I raised any sore points.
I've seen in your posts how much you've worked to be great with your kids. Always brings a smile to my face and a warm to my heart :) :)

And, don't worry!! I've had people asking me when I'm going to settle down and have kids since I was 20 - most people don't realise when they meet me that I'm too old (biologically) to have them now! :lol: I do remember asking a colleague how he deals with people asking why he wasn't married (both working in chalets and a similar age!) - he had it easier, he could just say, 'divorce' to shut them up :lol: :lol: He suggested I said something like "haven't seen enough good examples to want to go there" :angelic-green: :angelic-green: But I still wish I'd met someone - and sort of hope I will meet someone (who hopefully doesn't still want kids cos, biology!!) - maybe!

It's not a sore point really. Just a smidge of sadness in me, but I don't get pissy if it's mentioned (hope my post didn't sound that way, didn't intend to).

But, like I said, I wouldn't be somewhere amazing or done the bike stuff I've done with kids and a husband! Things wouldn't necessarily be worse, just different. And I do love where life is now :D And I get to be bad auntie to lots of friends kids :D (And probably their kids :D :D ) :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:46 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:03 pm I don't think anybody should underestimate how going from the 5-day-a-week grind to retirement can mess with your well-being.
Yes agreed, it'a mainly going to be the intensity for me, I think it was Moofo who highlighted making some pretty senior decisions one day and then retiring and picking up dog shit the next day whilst out walking the dog as a retired person.

I have a truck load of responsibility, so ditching that will be a strange feeling.
Responsibility? Pah! Can happily live without that. It's not knowing that nags. I was - for a particular niche - aware of a lot of stuff, much of it not directly related to my work. That stuff is continuing, but I'm unaware.

However, as I said earlier, training as a CFR has given me a transition rather than 》|End|

Edit: although the CFR role may have literal life or death responsibilities.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:30 pm There is an interview somewhere with Jordan Peterson (who I don't usually like) but he's talking to someone who has everything they've ever wanted, great career, great place to live, money, etc, but no kids or much family around them and he points out to them that they've sacrificed having a family so they could have all the other stuff and it's a bad mistake to make, they'll spend their elder years without the blessing of grandkids or family, etc.
My old mate had a lot more stuff than anyone else i knew. He'd done really well out of being a self taught builder! 3 or 4 holidays each year. New truck. New Car. Lovely house etc blah. But they didn't have kids and often joked they had nothing else to spend their money on. Pissed up one night, fighting back tears, he said to me they'd give everything up to be able to have kids. I always thought it was a choice, not because they couldn't have kids, nor did I know, the pain behind the smiles. :(
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:12 pm Responsibility? Pah! Can happily live without that. It's not knowing that nags. I was - for a particular niche - aware of a lot of stuff, much of it not directly related to my work. That stuff is continuing, but I'm unaware.

However, as I said earlier, training as a CFR has given me a transition rather than 》|End|

Edit: although the CFR role may have literal life or death responsibilities.
Losing the responsibility never bothered me a jot. What I missed, a bit, was being 'the expert'. It's a bit like being an industry 'rock star'. For a short while, I was 'an expert' on something (Twice actually if you want to include the incorporation of nitrogen in silicate glass and silicon nitride ceramics. Thrice if you include heat treatment of sintered tool steels. :D

But then, I always said jobs are like sandcastles. You build 'em as big and as complicated as you like. A couple of tides later and everyone forgets you were there. :lol:
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:15 pm (Twice actually if you want to include the incorporation of nitrogen in silicate glass and silicon nitride ceramics.
Nah, I'm good thanks.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

My one personal goal in life was to get married and have children and be a mum. My parents goal for me was to have a successful career. I failed spectacularly on both counts!!

It's about the only thing I'm sad about in life - not having children, or having a big enough apartment here (yet) to foster. But the second is something I'm still working on!

The family thing isn't necessarily always rosy though is it. You come into the world with parents, maybe brothers an sisters and a few years on you may produce your own family. But there's no guarantee that your parents and siblings are going to turn out to be wonderful human beings or that your own children are going to be perfect, cloned copies of you, the perfect parent.

Shit 'appens and it's quite possible that you don't/didn't like your parents and your siblings are, to you, obnoxious. Of course, to your parents and siblings you may be the obnoxious one . . .

You can't choose your family and they didn't 'choose' you and whilst it may well be wonderful to be an all lovey dovey family unit I'd suggest that the norm is somewhat different. You can try your best and work as hard as you like but your family may well not be as great as those you see on the TV or in the movies.

You may just be a lousy scriptwriter so just accept what you've got - it may be considerably better than 'family'.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:25 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:15 pm (Twice actually if you want to include the incorporation of nitrogen in silicate glass and silicon nitride ceramics.
Nah, I'm good thanks.
Aww. You're not putting any silicon nitride or sialons in your battery cars? Ah. No valves, no valve seats but I bet they've still got high wear bits that would benefit from a bit of ceramic. :D

(To be fair, it was a long time ago...like around the time Jimmy Carter visited Newcastle. Haway the laaads).
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:53 pm
My old mate had a lot more stuff than anyone else i knew. He'd done really well out of being a self taught builder! 3 or 4 holidays each year. New truck. New Car. Lovely house etc blah. But they didn't have kids and often joked they had nothing else to spend their money on. Pissed up one night, fighting back tears, he said to me they'd give everything up to be able to have kids. I always thought it was a choice, not because they couldn't have kids, nor did I know, the pain behind the smiles. :(
I was very much worse in the emotional stakes when i realised I physically couldn't have kids any more. There was always hope before. But, I've got family and friends that tried and failed - almost no one admits that they are sad that they can't have them because that's not what other people want to hear :(

Now, I'm ok with it because I did always want to foster more than get pregnant, so I am still hoping I might be able to foster, one day :) But it's no longer the be all and end all of life for me

Yambo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:52 pm
The family thing isn't necessarily always rosy though is it. You come into the world with parents, maybe brothers an sisters and a few years on you may produce your own family. But there's no guarantee that your parents and siblings are going to turn out to be wonderful human beings or that your own children are going to be perfect, cloned copies of you, the perfect parent.

Shit 'appens and it's quite possible that you don't/didn't like your parents and your siblings are, to you, obnoxious. Of course, to your parents and siblings you may be the obnoxious one . . .

You can't choose your family and they didn't 'choose' you and whilst it may well be wonderful to be an all lovey dovey family unit I'd suggest that the norm is somewhat different. You can try your best and work as hard as you like but your family may well not be as great as those you see on the TV or in the movies.

You may just be a lousy scriptwriter so just accept what you've got - it may be considerably better than 'family'.
Oh believe me, I am very very aware of that. Very very aware. I didn't speak to one of my parents for five years because any conversation was horrible and it ended up being kinder (for me anyway) not to. We are back in touch but I work hard to make sure that conversations don't go downhill, and have learned not to react to things that I would have in the past. Maybe they are doing the same.

Apart from that, I think I come from one of the most dysfunctional families I've ever met - but then we rarely find out how functional or not other peoples families are.

It does make me sad to see history repeating itself through three generations but also can see how easy that is. So, in some ways, maybe it's a good thing I haven't, I could have just created yet another generation of fucked up kids! I hope I wouldn't have, but there are no guarantees (and boths sides of my family were pretty FUBAR).

And if I foster and am shit at it, I can stop offering to foster. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm shit if that is the case!! If so, I'll get a LOT of cats and more bikes :D :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:52 pm
The family thing isn't necessarily always rosy though is it.
No it's not, my parents were not good.

S'why I tried to build the perfect life for us, it's worked out so far, not perfect obviously but we're happy enough, we all had dinner at our place and then just wandered to the end of the lane to watch them turn the village Christmas Tree lights on. We stood there arms around each other singing along to the brass band playing Christmas carols.... living the dream :lol: