In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Ant

Re: In todays news...

Post by Ant »

It's the typical left, the lust for hate, they'll shout 'Nigel defenders!', because they can't see past the person who has at that time been affected, too dim to realise that this could happen to them or someone they know also. These are the same sort of people who are too dim to use an online service to get a visa and instead will sit there and say that there freedom of movement was taken away.

The only freedom which has been taken away was taken by themselves, the freedom to think about things and dig a little deeper into the truth. The shouty shouty 'shut him down' political side will just shout 'conspiracy', whilst they rode the largest conspiracy during the run up to the referendum, thinking that their little unimportant worlds were going to collapse.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:51 pm Can I just point out Coutts' commitee were actually correct. Farage was a reputational risk.
Not really, he's a non entity these days, he's not an even MP, he's just a customer. They provide a banking service, they're nothing more than that.

Do you honestly think that filthy rich people would not want the glamour and benefits of Coutts just because of another filthy rich person there who has an account isn't well liked by the crazy shouty people with uni degrees who live off the bank of mummy and daddy?
Last edited by Ant on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah but their reputation has suffered now :D
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:56 pm Yeah but their reputation has suffered now :D
It has now that they've been seen to breach data protection laws, when they were previously known for their privacy as a part of the exclusivity.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Exactly. Irony much :D Turns out there was less risk in keeping him.
Ant

Post by Ant »

There wasn't any risk at all, it's a bank and nothing more.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

'course there was, they're a brand and they have to win customers just like any other business. If people think they're a horrible bunch of people they're less likely to use said business, simplifying somewhat.

The existence of the "Reputational Risk Comittee" suggests to me they weigh the odds of how much money a customer brings in vs. how much brand damage they might do. Farage presumably fell foul of scales tipping against him, although I freely admit that is just an assumption. S'how it reads to me.
Ant

Post by Ant »

You couldn't really make it up, "Reputational Risk Comittee" saw choice, freedom, a legally allowed democratic view and vote as something they didn't want in a customer - in the words of Larry Ginekar.....sounds a bit 1930s Germany to me......
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's all that woke money they hold, don't want to scare it off :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:05 pm There wasn't any risk at all, it's a bank and nothing more.
It's a huge fucking risk to NW.

One: reputational risk. They now look like political zealots, worse still, lying zealots. Even woseresrer than that, incomptent liars.

Two leaky, leaky - if an individual's data has been leaked, that's a GDPR breach. It will be with the ICO, if only because of the stick around it.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:56 pm [One: reputational risk. They now look like political zealots
Definitely adding this to the list of reasons why I don't use Coutts.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:02 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:56 pm [One: reputational risk. They now look like political zealots
Definitely adding this to the list of reasons why I don't use Coutts.
I'm with Marx* on this: I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

*Groucho, not Karl. I'm not that intellectual.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The lesson here is, if you want controversial opinions you have to be rich enough to hold them. Which I don't think should really be a lesson to anyone?

So it does still come back to Coutt's supposed original reason for dumping Farage...not rich enough.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Arsonists blamed for Corfu wildfires as Greece grapples with blazes while terrified Brit tourists flee

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/arsonists-bl ... wildfires/

Just like any of these wild fires - locals usually are aware of a strong chemical smell. Still, climate change, pull down statues and smash the place up innit.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:23 pm Arsonists blamed for Corfu wildfires as Greece grapples with blazes while terrified Brit tourists flee

Just like any of these wild fires - locals usually are aware of a strong chemical smell. Still, climate change, pull down statues and smash the place up innit.
In Italy protected wild areas lose their status if they burn down in forest fires. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere, but there will always be some intent on making a few quid out of others' misery.
Ant

Post by Ant »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:39 pm
Ant wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:23 pm Arsonists blamed for Corfu wildfires as Greece grapples with blazes while terrified Brit tourists flee

In Italy protected wild areas lose their status if they burn down in forest fires. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere, but there will always be some intent on making a few quid out of others' misery.
Then a little while down the line...

You can't build there as it's protected status....

.....oh a wildfire destroyed it, oh, oh, oh dear, oh that's such a shame......let me just sign off that building permit for you.....
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:15 pm The lesson here is, if you want controversial opinions you have to be rich enough to hold them. Which I don't think should really be a lesson to anyone?

So it does still come back to Coutt's supposed original reason for dumping Farage...not rich enough.
I think someone decided to dump him because they don't like his politics and used the "not rich enough" reason/excuse.
He's an easy person to dislike and I always get the feeling that he'd walk past me whilst I was on fire and not even stop to piss on me, in fact he'd probably laugh and throw a £50 note on.

Him being a tube doesn't change the underlying issue though.

The irony is that banks are utterly devoid of ethics that aren't forced upon them, surprise surprise they're literally all about money and not about being nice, they'd skin you alive and smile if they could - so to ditch someone because of politics when they handle blood money, terrorist money, drug money, etc, without batting an eyelid is hypocrisy of the highest.
Some of the people in banks are nice, but the machine they work in is ruthless.

It's a crying shame that communism doesn't work, we could probably get rid of 2/3rds of the human race who wouldn't be willing to put a days graft in.
That would stop the utter corruption of banking and finance.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It looks the other way to me...he's not rich enough to be worth bothering with (any more).

I don't think its even about the Bank's own political views, its how they'd look to other people. And of course, they're prepared to risk looking that way....if you're rich enough!

Absolutely 100% agree they'll only do what you force them to do. I suppose the one thing I've been trying to say is that every orangisation or institution is like that at the core, always has been.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse

Post by Horse »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:08 pm Then a little while down the line...

You can't build there as it's protected status....

.....oh a wildfire destroyed it, oh, oh, oh dear, oh that's such a shame......let me just sign off that building permit for you.....
I know of a couple of instances over here. One a large venue that wanted to be even larger. Planning refused.

Another an MoT garage that couldn't meet new regs.

Both had devastating fires.

Both rebuilt, differently.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: