The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by KungFooBob »

An advert for this came up on my Friendface, I th8nk it's the best looking watch I've seen for a long time, so assumed it would be too much money.

It' only £500! 😃

But sold out 😩

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/product ... n-ssa445j1
Potter

Post by Potter »

Looks a bit like a...

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I like the detail on the face of the Seiko.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I’m a Seiko fan but not too keen on that one. I’ve never felt the love for skeleton watches. I know that’s not a full skeleton but I still think there’s nicer Presages about,

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/sei ... 1-p-71185/
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:08 pm An advert for this came up on my Friendface, I th8nk it's the best looking watch I've seen for a long time, so assumed it would be too much money.

It' only £500! 😃

But sold out 😩

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/product ... n-ssa445j1
Is it me, or does the person in the 'on wrist' pic have the watch on upside down?

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

So, dilemma....

Our 25th wedding anniversary is coming up and Mrs. Gremlin says I'm so lovely that she wants to spoil me rotten. OK, I'm paraphrasing, but she asked me if I would like a Rolex. Now, I will confess that I like the Sub for it's simplicity and lack of gauche, if you catch my drift.

The thing that annoys me is the waiting. Let's be honest, I ain't gonna see hide nor hair for 2 years in all likelihood. Do I fall for the marketing and put my name on the list, like some bloke waiting forlornly outside a club in the pissing rain hoping the bouncer will let me in, or go for a Seamaster and be able to have my anniversary pressie this decade..?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Both are good pieces - I own both.

I've had my Seamaster for over 20 years and if I'm being honest I think it's the better watch plus Omega service is a lot cheaper and more efficient than that of Rolex.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Tell her you'd rather have the money so you can spend it on high class hookers
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:12 pm Tell her you'd rather have the money so you can spend it on high class hookers
and drugs.
Le_Fromage_Grande

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:23 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:12 pm Tell her you'd rather have the money so you can spend it on high class hookers
and drugs.
I'm getting those from the NHS
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

What is this obsession with high-class hookers?

Go cheap and skanky. More for your money. :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:54 pm

It's like watches, availability reduces interest. :lol:

Why not go to a decent jewellers, see what they have that they can actually sell you and, if you like something, buy it? :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:57 pm

It's like watches, availability reduces interest. :lol:

Why not go to a decent jewellers, see what they have that they can actually sell you and, if you like something, buy it? :thumbup:
Stop being sensible and pragmatic.

I have a couple of nice watches, but being a gentleman I won't mention brands. One of the brands missing from the collection is Rolex and it feels right to put one there, plus it's a good investment if nothing else. Tat said, I don't have Breitling either.

Meh. Worse problems to have.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:02 pm So, dilemma....

Our 25th wedding anniversary is coming up and Mrs. Gremlin says I'm so lovely that she wants to spoil me rotten. OK, I'm paraphrasing, but she asked me if I would like a Rolex. Now, I will confess that I like the Sub for it's simplicity and lack of gauche, if you catch my drift.

The thing that annoys me is the waiting. Let's be honest, I ain't gonna see hide nor hair for 2 years in all likelihood. Do I fall for the marketing and put my name on the list, like some bloke waiting forlornly outside a club in the pissing rain hoping the bouncer will let me in, or go for a Seamaster and be able to have my anniversary pressie this decade..?
Would it be quicker to get an old one? (if possibly more expensive).

The newer ones, to me, just 'look' like pastiche fakes.
non quod, sed quomodo
Le_Fromage_Grande

I can do without a line in interesting infections
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:04 pm

It's an option and I've bought a 'previously loved' watch before. Just grates my ballsack paying a premium over new for second hand. Sorry, 'previously loved'. I do know a bloke who has a jewelry shop that deals in quite nice high end used watches. I've never seen him with a Rolex, but he might know people....

Funny enough, Mrs. Gremlin has just booked a big family holiday to Turkey. Guess I'll be able to find a bargain Rolex out there. :lol:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:11 pm
Rockburner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:04 pm

It's an option and I've bought a 'previously loved' watch before. Just grates my ballsack paying a premium over new for second hand. Sorry, 'previously loved'. I do know a bloke who has a jewelry shop that deals in quite nice high end used watches. I've never seen him with a Rolex, but he might know people....

Funny enough, Mrs. Gremlin has just booked a big family holiday to Turkey. Guess I'll be able to find a bargain Rolex out there. :lol:
There's a lot of snobbery, and reverse snobbery, around Rolexes (Rolei?). As far as luxury watches go, there's more expensive, rarer, and more complex, but for some reason Rolex are still seen as one of the 'best' by anyone who doesn't live and breathe watches they can't possibly afford. Personally I think it's the 'Bond' effect and Rolex have taken that 'leg up' and used it very well to keep themselves in the public eye. (F1 and other sport sponsorship doesn't detract obviously).

I think I like the Sub (60-70s version) simply because it's the one my Dad had, and so was what I always aspired to* (and the Bond effect, obviously! :D )

* I think it's probably the one single 'aspiration' that I've had most of my life - every other 'I want to do that' thought hasn't stood the test of time at all.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

You'll probably need to put a new battery in it by the time you get home. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:29 pm
My mate has a snide Breitling he bought in Turkey. It cost him about £100, but it does look the part. As the bloke said to him, 'Don't buy those cheap, fake watches. Mine are so much better because they are expensive fake watches!'

Hard to argue with the logic.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:33 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:29 pm
My mate has a snide Breitling he bought in Turkey. It cost him about £100, but it does look the part. As the bloke said to him, 'Don't buy those cheap, fake watches. Mine are so much better because they are expensive fake watches!'

Hard to argue with the logic.
Everyone thinks snobbery is about the have/have not, but it's much more stratified than that.