Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: Depression

Post by Yorick »

Anyone tried hypnotherapy?

A couple of girls here used a guy and both stopped smoking in 2 session.

Then he moved back to UK.
But another girl we know paid him and lost 2 stones. But took 6 sessions.

I've researched and it can work for anxiety.
But. And a big But.

I'm sceptical anyway, but I'll keep an open mind. Will that stop me going under?

2nd but, how can someone 2,000 miles away put me into a trance?

Is it smoke n mirrors crossed with magic beans?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:48 pm Not wishing to cast aspersions, but how well do you know her boyfriend? Confidence loss can be a sign of an abusive partner in some cases...
Her anxiety pre-dates Josh.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

So this morning, Mrs G and Gremlinette are booked on a train to Manchester to pick up the keys to the flat share for year 2 of uni. I get out of the shower and Mrs. G shows me a late night Snap from Gremlinette, explaining she's feeling anxious, hasn't slept, doesn't want to get on the train. Notwithstanding, I make her a coffee and tell her to get in the shower as there's a train to catch. I drop them both at the station, come back and take the mutt for a walk.
I come back to several missed calls and messages. To cut a long story short, Gremlinette is crying on the train up to London, sweating, hyperventilating, etc. Net result being she is coming home and Mrs. G is left going up to Manny to sort out the flat. Mrs. G has been messaging to say, 'Don't be angry, I know what she's going through', but, in full disclosure, I do get fucking angry but I can never let the kid see that. It's so frustrating to see somebody so smart and sassy suddenly become frightened of getting on a fucking train or plane.
Mrs. G. is now very upset and I feel like my fucking head is going to explode.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Yorick was asking about hypnotherapy... Nobody could be more sceptical than me , but during a cabaret act some time ago , I was " put under " and the missus told me I was miles away , and putty in his hands . If you use a reputable service what's to lose ? Might even work for Gremlinette ? Good luck .
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Someone i knew finally quit smoking through hypnotherapy, but it did wear off and a refresher course was needed and they eventually become an evangelic non smoker! :twisted: The cynic in me thinks the sneaky hypnotherapist date stamped his treatment time! :think: :D
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:55 am Someone i knew finally quit smoking through hypnotherapy, but it did wear off and a refresher course was needed and they eventually become an evangelic non smoker! :twisted: The cynic in me thinks the sneaky hypnotherapist date stamped his treatment time! :think: :D
When I was an apprentice one of the sparks had hypnotherapy to make him give up smoking,but,and this is a true story,he still wanted a social smoke when he went to the pub so he got the hypnotherapist to hypnotise him & allow him only to smoke when in the pub.The problem was that he then spent to much time in the pub...
He had to go back to the therapist & get re-programmed,no smoking anywhere :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

The Gremlinette had a flat tyre last night, so her car was running on the space-saver. I informed her that this wasn't a long term strategy, not least as it was on the front. She concurred. I ask if she wants to go and sort it now, get it done.

So we nip down to the local tyre place, me, her and my wallet, to see if it could be repaired. Short answer, no, but he had a new one, asked if I wanted it done, which I did.

I come back to the car and she's in a panic: why is he doing it now? Can we come back? I explained again about driving safety, but by now she's in tears and sweating. I ask her exactly what she's worried about. She tells me it that she now cannot leave and feels trapped. So I hold her hand and explain that, yes, we can leave, but that's letting the anxiety win. We can go for a walk, get a drink in the shop opposite, whatever we want to do. I also suggest to she refers to the hypnotherapy notes and do what he suggests. We sit and breathe (I'm good at breathing, me. So good I can do it in my sleep) and she's holding my hand and we talk shit for a while. Within 15 minutes, car is all done and she's all hyped and pleased that we'd done it.
She was so buzzing we cleaned the car to celebrate.

Little wins. Baby steps. Small victories.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:28 pm The Gremlinette had a flat tyre last night, so her car was running on the space-saver. I informed her that this wasn't a long term strategy, not least as it was on the front. She concurred. I ask if she wants to go and sort it now, get it done.

So we nip down to the local tyre place, me, her and my wallet, to see if it could be repaired. Short answer, no, but he had a new one, asked if I wanted it done, which I did.

I come back to the car and she's in a panic: why is he doing it now? Can we come back? I explained again about driving safety, but by now she's in tears and sweating. I ask her exactly what she's worried about. She tells me it that she now cannot leave and feels trapped. So I hold her hand and explain that, yes, we can leave, but that's letting the anxiety win. We can go for a walk, get a drink in the shop opposite, whatever we want to do. I also suggest to she refers to the hypnotherapy notes and do what he suggests. We sit and breathe (I'm good at breathing, me. So good I can do it in my sleep) and she's holding my hand and we talk shit for a while. Within 15 minutes, car is all done and she's all hyped and pleased that we'd done it.
She was so buzzing we cleaned the car to celebrate.

Little wins. Baby steps. Small victories.
She's a lucky girl to have you :)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

The uncanny thing is, Mrs. Gremlin had that exact same anxiety trigger. Motorways, queuing with a trolley in the supermarket, getting on public transport.

I know anxiety cannot be passed down through the genes, but fuck me, it's bizarre.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:47 pm
I know. That's three new tyres she's had off me lately.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:53 pm
I know. That's three new tyres she's had off me lately.
You always carry a couple around your waist for emergencies :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Blimey. His family are very brave to talk openly about this.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/articles/cy84x7rrppno
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just been for an MRI scan for injured wrist. Fark. After 30 seconds I was scared. After a minute I screamed to let me out.
Never known my anxiety to be so high.

Fark. It was scary.

I think they're gonna request a scan with sedation.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:21 pm Blimey. His family are very brave to talk openly about this.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/articles/cy84x7rrppno
I’m glad they did. Hopefully it shows people that anyone, no matter what their status in life is, can be affected by this condition.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Fuck's sake....

Her boyfriend has just broke up with her. :thumbdown:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:30 am
Fuck's sake....

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:30 am
Fuck's sake....

He was a prick, none of us, including you, ever liked him, definitely not good enough and if you bung KFB a few quid, he’ll make sure he’s never seen or heard from ever again. :thumbup:

Without doubt, the young gremlinette will need some time, love and support, but having seen my daughters flourish over recent years, both with their own world’s problems when they were growing up, she’ll get through it.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Silly Car wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:28 pm

He was a prick, none of us, including you, ever liked him
The irony is, he's a nice lad, but has issues of his own. His dad died of cancer less than two years ago. I think he's still processing that, plus he's recently had a health diagnosis himself.

I do wonder if the recent issues the Gremlinette has had has simply proved a little too much for him.

Gremlinette is devastated as it was very unexpected and has hit her when she's feeling a bit low. Mrs. Gremlin is away this week so I've had to be the main source of hot chocolate, cuddles and sympathy.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:52 am
Silly Car wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:28 pm

He was a prick, none of us, including you, ever liked him
The irony is, he's a nice lad, but has issues of his own. His dad died of cancer less than two years ago. I think he's still processing that, plus he's recently had a health diagnosis himself.

I do wonder if the recent issues the Gremlinette has had has simply proved a little too much for him.

Gremlinette is devastated as it was very unexpected and has hit her when she's feeling a bit low. Mrs. Gremlin is away this week so I've had to be the main source of hot chocolate, cuddles and sympathy.
As a product of a severely depressed father, I can understand that at his time in life it was just another hassle he didn’t need. As you say, he has things he needs to come to terms with - and probably wants to go out, have fun, travel, have a laugh etc.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Two weeks away on holiday, lots of walks and getting out with the daughter. She had massive issues with eating in public, so had to hide and so on, but we managed to get through the time. She has been able to get out each day for a considerable amount of walking (heck, I lost weight, so it was a lot of walking!) More importantly, she has another refeeding appt tomorrow, so that will take place and we take it from there for the next lot. She has psychotherapist appointments as well, also in touch with MIND. Things seem to be progressing, but it is very very hard work. Wife is knackered, the "holiday" wore her completely out.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.