In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Record label anyway, not the same as a record factory. ;)

But mostly what the Count said.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:16 pm Record label anyway, not the same as a record factory. ;)

But mostly what the Count said.
Where'd they get the ink? ;)
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:56 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:35 pm This boosts the publicity for these plucky protestors and their worthwhile cause. :thumbup:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/just-stop-oil ... 00041.html
The idiot they interviewed owns a record company... where the fuck does he think vinyl comes from? or the plastic to make their wally bibs?
Records? It’s 2023 I doubt it’s actual records.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

JamJar wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:24 pm
Huge business in the US.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:02 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g ... e-66278076

Jeremy Clarkson has warned customers who have bought his cider that some bottles could explode.

The 63-year-old presenter said a mistake meant there was a "slim chance" some of the Hawkstone Cider bottles may erupt.

Yay, free publicity, go Jezza.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:28 pm
JamJar wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:24 pm
Huge business in the US.
yeah apparently so, boggles my mind that people still buy music in this day and age.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

On the same theme (and prompted by listening to a programme on Radio 4 an hour or so ago) WTF do these Just Stop Oil/Extinction Rebellion/et at think they are going to achieve?

As one phone in-bloke pointed out.

The UK economy is 6% of the world economy, but only contributes 1% of the world's pollution.
In the last 10 years the UK has cut it's carbon emissions by 45%
Stopping the UK exploring for oil/gas just means we buy it all from somewhere else, somewhere where our pollution standards do not apply.

I am not denying climate change, I do question whether humanity caused it (although we have certainly exacerbated it), and I don't know how to reverse it. I suspect we (humanity) will just have to suck it up and live with it. And yes, that does mean that millions have people will die, and it will be hard/sad/brutal. Life has always been hard/sad/brutal. However the elephant in the room is that human population explosion has caused the problem (if it is caused by anything other than a natural cycle) and reducing the world population by 50% would be a good starting point to fix the problem.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Completely agree CJ. Overpopulation is the root of the problem.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:42 pm
Stopping the UK exploring for oil/gas just means we buy it all from somewhere else, somewhere where our pollution standards do not apply.
That's the Biden/Newsom plan in the US. Cut US production/block drilling permits & throw 1000's of people out of work, then make a deal with Venezuela for their oil as prices went through the roof.

The Democrats blocked Trump from replenishing the strategic oil reserves when it was $20/barrel & then wanted to replenish it when it was $130/barrel. The US was producing so much oil under Trump that at one point it they run out of places to store it & the price dropped to negative numbers.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's all linked in every direction though. The best way to limit population is to raise living standards and education (particularly for women, obvs) which usually comes with greater energy and resource consumption.

The western world actually has a serious population problem brewing, there could very well be too few people in the coming decades. China is already either about to start a population decline or is already in one.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:56 pm The US was producing so much oil under Trump that at one point it they run out of places to store it & the price dropped to negative numbers.
That was in 2020, I dunno if you recall but there was some curfuffle or something which effected the demand for oil.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:01 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:56 pm The US was producing so much oil under Trump that at one point it they run out of places to store it & the price dropped to negative numbers.
That was in 2020, I dunno if you recall but there was some curfuffle or something which effected the demand for oil.
& therefore would have been the perfect time to replenish the reserves.. Then we had Biden drain them to their lowest levels in decades in a farcical attempt to control oil prices which had zero effect at all on the price at the pump.. all he had to do was get the fuck out of the way & let US producers pump the stuff out of the ground. The guy has less then zero fucking clue about economics.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Not really, the negative price thing was as a result of an interaction of futures sales, COVID and a price war among producers which only lasted a very short period. It wasn't a sustained period of mega cheap oil although it was cheaper than it is now.

The price hasn't been above $130 since 2020 at any point, so clearly your story has some holes.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:57 pm It's all linked in every direction though. The best way to limit population is to raise living standards and education (particularly for women, obvs) which usually comes with greater energy and resource consumption.

The western world actually has a serious population problem brewing, there could very well be too few people in the coming decades. China is already either about to start a population decline or is already in one.
Why should that be a problem? It is only a problem because people consume all their working life, and then expect the next generation to support them.
We need a major change, in the NHS, in the benefit system, and in the people's mindset. Stop acting as if there is no tomorrow, you are responsible for supporting yourself, now and for the rest of your life. No one is going to stop you freezing/starving.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It's all linked to the mantra of endless growth, which also requires an ever-expanding population to endlessly consume. And all this on a finite planet with finite resources and finite space to grow food and house this ever-expanding population. People talk about 'saving the planet' - the planet will survive. Humankind however does not appear to have the wit to save its collective sorry arse.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:21 pm Not really, the negative price thing was as a result of an interaction of futures sales, COVID and a price war among producers which only lasted a very short period. It wasn't a sustained period of mega cheap oil although it was cheaper than it is now.

The price hasn't been above $130 since 2020 at any point, so clearly your story has some holes.
JFC, forgive me for not having the price per barrel for every fucking day over the past 3 years.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:37 pm Why should that be a problem? It is only a problem because people consume all their working life, and then expect the next generation to support them.
We need a major change, in the NHS, in the benefit system, and in the people's mindset. Stop acting as if there is no tomorrow, you are responsible for supporting yourself, now and for the rest of your life. No one is going to stop you freezing/starving.
I already save significantly more of my income than I'm obliged to precisely because I don't think there will be enough next generation to pay my way. Certainly not in the way working people today support the elderly.

The triple lock thing is bullshit and the retirement age needs to go up a decade....or something along those lines anyway :lol: I don't blame anyone for voting to support themselves but I DO blame young people for not voting! I'm just doing whatever I can to aid myself.

Money is only half of it though, if someone is 80 in the year 2075, there's a very real chance there simply won't be enough young people around to do all the things which currently get done and said 80 year old will be a bit stuck.

This is one area where the positives of stuff like AI will be a major factor.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:59 pm JFC, forgive me for not having the price per barrel for every fucking day over the past 3 years.
Could just admit it's not as simple as Trump Vs Biden :lol:
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:56 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:35 pm This boosts the publicity for these plucky protestors and their worthwhile cause. :thumbup:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/just-stop-oil ... 00041.html
The idiot they interviewed owns a record company... where the fuck does he think vinyl comes from? or the plastic to make their wally bibs?
High viz vests can and are made from recycled plastic or from biological sources.

Fuck knows about records, I imagine most are existing ones being resold, not newly manufactured ones.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:05 pm I already save significantly more of my income than I'm obliged to precisely because I don't think there will be enough next generation to pay my way. Certainly not in the way working people today support the elderly.

The triple lock thing is bullshit and the retirement age needs to go up a decade....or something along those lines anyway :lol: I don't blame anyone for voting to support themselves but I DO blame young people for not voting! I'm just doing whatever I can to aid myself.

Money is only half of it though, if someone is 80 in the year 2075, there's a very real chance there simply won't be enough young people around to do all the things which currently get done and said 80 year old will be a bit stuck.

This is one area where the positives of stuff like AI will be a major factor.
I agree about the triple lock, and I am sorry for those who will find themselves in poor health in their 80s, but tough shit. I intend to live my life as well as I can, but would welcome assisted suicide for when I can't. Again, being brutal, medical science can now prolong many lives, but that doesn't mean it should, especially when someone else has to pay.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!