In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
DefTrap

Re: In todays news...

Post by DefTrap »

My youngest (24) worked Glastonbury last year (some affiliated charity or other) and was one of the 100s of tabarded festival dogsbodies they have hanging around giving directions and handling general enquiries.

I think you'd have to be dead inside to not appreciate the thrill of proper professional live music and certainly glasto has pretty much the biggest volume and most wide ranging of acts around. If you look at the set list, it's effing staggering. That said, you need to pick and choose what you watch with care. If you're watching GnR and you think they're has-been dad-rock wankers you should can it and wander (well, struggle, but you'll get there eventually) to one of the other two dozen venues for something else. My youngest saw McCartney last year and declared him rubbish, I can understand that. I doubt he would have enjoyed last night's Rick Astley's set of Smiths numbers either but I thought it was excellent (albeit from my armchair at home).

But glastos not for me, I'm too curmudgeonly to put up with 3 or 4 days continual festivaling. However I am glad it is there.
Horse

Post by Horse »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:20 pm My youngest (24) worked Glastonbury last year (some affiliated charity or other) and was one of the 100s of tabarded festival dogsbodies they have hanging around giving directions and handling general enquiries.
Foal's 2nd year (also 24). He's volunteering on bar work and working full time partying.

Music has been a massive part of his life, whether performing or going to gigs* and festivals.

* Mainly acts I've never heard of.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Out of interest, do they pay real living wage to the dogsbodies at Glasto?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Kneerly Down wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:25 pm Out of interest, do they pay real living wage to the dogsbodies at Glasto?
I think my youngest got a free ticket, and was required to do 3 or 4 shifts of helping out. So, not really.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:29 pm
Kneerly Down wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:25 pm Out of interest, do they pay real living wage to the dogsbodies at Glasto?
I think my youngest got a free ticket, and was required to do 3 or 4 shifts of helping out. So, not really.
Did he get free entry?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Probably not far off minimum wage - entry is around 300£ (probably lots more now!!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I suppose it depends how long the shifts were and what they got time to see.

(An old friend used to be the boyfriend of one of the Eavis daughters, not sure which one. I suspect it may have been Emily when she was at Goldsmith's but can't remember. Him and his wife used to get invited by his ex to ferry the performers around the site. I'll ask if they got paid. All I know is that his missus said that the Mumfords were really nice :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Foal works in a bar. 3 or 4 days (3 last year). 8 hour shifts, anytime from 10am start to 3am close.

He's guaranteed one evening off, but can't choose which. But like I said, he's not bothered about the big names.

For that, he gets:
- free ticket
- free buses to the site (eg London, Birmingham, Bristol)
- early access (Tuesday) to the site
- staff camp site with supposedly better toilets and showers
- 3 meals every day
- access to staff-only bars
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Horse wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:01 pm
Foal works in a bar. 3 or 4 days (3 last year). 8 hour shifts, anytime from 10am start to 3am close.

He's guaranteed one evening off, but can't choose which. But like I said, he's not bothered about the big names.

For that, he gets:
- free ticket
- free buses to the site (eg London, Birmingham, Bristol)
- early access (Tuesday) to the site
- staff camp site with supposedly better toilets and showers
- 3 meals every day
- access to staff-only bars
My brother is retired - he worked at Glastonbury volunteering for Oxfam last year - He did IOW this year (as a supervisor)
He said there is a waiting list of sorts - he enjoys it - they have their own campsite etc as Horse says
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I worked for Riders for Health 20 years.
Main reason was to help the charity, but circuit provided us with tickets, camping and food.

Did about 10 events a year. Never missed a MotoGP or WSB :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

asmethurst99 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:41 pm He said there is a waiting list of sorts
Yup. No guaranteed place.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Christ alive Sir Elton is a parody of himself. His performance reminded me of that 'club style singing' that Vic Reeves used to do in Shooting Stars
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Back in the day I made a fucking fortune off the Glasto punters.. while also saving them money.
All I did was buy wrist bands off the punters inside for 30% what they paid.. & then sold then to the people outside for 70%. Hundreds of them every day Wed-Fri. Pockets & a backpack stuffed full of cash. Only worked up to the Friday lunch time. Even had multiple people buy a wrist band for 70% outside & then later sell it back to me inside for 30%.

The only time I got close to being busted was when I had just sold my last wrist band of the week & was walking back towards the main gate. Some fucker decided to snitch on me to security. The timing was PERFECT, I heard him telling security what I looked like as he turned around to his right & pointed back up the road as my dog & I passed by to his left. If he had been just a second or two further ahead of me, he would have pointed right at me as he turned around. :lol:
Can't speak to the regular dogsbodies, but I doubt they were taking helicopter rides to Bristol & back...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:01 am Christ alive Sir Elton is a parody of himself. His performance reminded me of that 'club style singing' that Vic Reeves used to do in Shooting Stars

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I thought Elton smashed it, great performance as always, this man is 76!

I have seen him 2 times before at Bestival and Reading, both times he was amazing.

The Rocketman film is worth a watch too if you haven't seen it before.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Is that what Glastonbury is then, old performers, living on past glory performing for old or middle aged, middle class folk?

How quaint.

Any new, young, upcoming talent on show, or just "I remember when all these acts were young!"
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:45 am Is that what Glastonbury is then, old performers, living on past glory performing for old or middle aged, middle class folk?

How quaint.

Any new, young, upcoming talent on show, or just "I remember when all these acts were young!"
You do know there's masses of stages don't you?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:45 am Is that what Glastonbury is then, old performers, living on past glory performing for old or middle aged, middle class folk?

How quaint.

I saw a Somalian desert rock band, they were pretty awful but ticked a diversity box.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

demographic wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:24 am You do know there's masses of stages don't you?
I took an extra interest last year (when my youngest was working it) and the number of stages / acts / performances / diversity is staggering. You have no excuse for not finding the type of music you like. I would have been bored to tears by Sir Elton probably but I'm sure there were a dozen other performances that I could have taken in instead.
Horse

Post by Horse »

How quaint.

Arctic Monkeys
Guns N’ Roses
Elton John
Lizzo
Aitch
Alison Goldfrapp
Alt-J
Amadou & Mariam
Becky Hill
Blondie
Candi Staton
Carly Rae Jepsen
Cat Burns
Central Cee
Christine And The Queens
Chvrches
Ezra Collective
Fatboy Slim
Fever Ray
Flo
Fred Again..
Hot Chip
Joey Bada$$
Kelis
Lana Del Rey
Leftfield
Lewis Capaldi
Lil Nas X
Loyle Carner
Maggie Rogers
Mahalia
Måneskin
Manic Street Preachers
Nova Twins
Phoenix
Raye
Rina Sawayama
Royal Blood
Rudimental
Shygirl
Sparks
Stefflon Don
Sudan Archives
Texas
The Chicks
The War On Drugs
Thundercat
Tinariwen
Warpaint
Weyes Blood
Wizkid
Young Fathers
Yusuf / Cat Stevens

And many more.

A bit like saying "an army is a few blokes with guns"?

However, the ironic bit is that usually each year one of the bygone past-it acts really does well and impresses even the young things.